• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

An ATP type post: Me and the family are heading to North Topsail soon. For the first time, our rental has a dock on a creek off the intercoastal. We own four zebco/shakespeare reel/rod combos, light tackle, all designed for pond fishing bass, crappie, brim, etc..

Is it possible to take this gear out there and have a little fun? Not trying to catch dinner or anything but if there's no way we'll get a bite on these rigs let me know. Easy change outs? Bigger hooks/weights/simple lures ... any tips you can give a non-fisher are appreciated.

An ATP type post: Me and the family are heading to North Topsail soon. For the first time, our rental has a dock on a creek off the intercoastal. We own four zebco/shakespeare reel/rod combos, light tackle, all designed for pond fishing bass, crappie, brim, etc..

Is it possible to take this gear out there and have a little fun? Not trying to catch dinner or anything but if there's no way we'll get a bite on these rigs let me know. Easy change outs? Bigger hooks/weights/simple lures ... any tips you can give a non-fisher are appreciated.

Totally depends on what you consider entertaining. If you're used to catching brim and crappie and want something similar, you could throw out a simple rig with a smallish hook, some form of sinker and bait shrimp and catch anything from pinfish on up. Now, most likely, pinfish will be the vast majority of what you catch. But really the possibilities of what you *might* catch are endless. The likelihood of you hooking up with something that would damage your light tackle is relatively small, so I wouldn't let that stop you. I would say your biggest downside would be getting bored from catching smallish fish over and over (or having your bait stolen). You use bait shrimp in June and you will almost definitely catch something (or at the very least get bites). My wife's family has a place in Morehead City on the intercoastal and I've spent many, many hours doing this, particularly with my kids. You never know what you'll reel in, and that's part of what I enjoy.

You can also throw a jig head with some Gulp out over and over and hope to catch something that way, as well. More work, and the pinfish will again frustrate you, but probably a greater chance to catch something other than a pinfish. Also a greater chance you hook something that tests the limits of your tackle (flounder, maybe even drum or trout). Of course, you might catch nothing with this method. It's a trade off.

Just my two cents.

Anyone been fishing in/around Livingston, Montana? Going next month and looking for intel on floating/fishing the Yellowstone into Livingston. Specifically, whether a tandem inflatable kayak will do, and what we can expect fishing-wise? We've got guides for the rest of the time we're there.

Caught some nice wild browns today. My buddy pulled in the submarine; caught a second just like it too!

3bd3bc95293c33210001e02e85ea1515.jpg
bdac289b2802f3c5e8f05a680e36bd7e.jpg
5a50dd1c9c50903457a326bf54e77c74.jpg

Nice fish - looks like a great trip. Love those Fishpond nets, too. They make excellent gear.

The fishpond net belongs to my buddy, but I'm ready to buy one of my own.

We had a great time; pulled all those fish out of the same hole. The biggest of the browns felt like moby dick was on the end of the line; those suckers fight.

No phone with me but caught these suckers today at Gross Resorvoir:

3c504a286d1182eebc9118b9fd6da896.jpg

Yum

Had a couple dozen brookies myself this weekend over a campfire

Headed to Bozeman with a couple of Deacs next week for 2 days of fly fishing. Tied up a new (to me) pattern tonight that I'm looking forward to trying out:

b68644cf58cdd51f81e10b6e5c9e5978.jpg

I'm heading down to Asheville and surrounding areas next week for vacation. I've set aside Monday to do some fishing and I'd like to try the Davidson River. Anyone have any advice on where to go, what flies are working, stream conditions, or any other streams I should try. I'm planning to take my 9' 4 weight or my 8'6" 5 weight (or both) so I don't want to do any streams that are too small and nothing too far off the beaten path.

I'm heading down to Asheville and surrounding areas next week for vacation. I've set aside Monday to do some fishing and I'd like to try the Davidson River. Anyone have any advice on where to go, what flies are working, stream conditions, or any other streams I should try. I'm planning to take my 9' 4 weight or my 8'6" 5 weight (or both) so I don't want to do any streams that are too small and nothing too far off the beaten path.

You can fish around the hatchery, but be prepared for a crowd....and picky fish. There are some monsters in there, though. Downstream from the hatchery holds lots of fish as well, but there's a lot of pressure on those fish.

Otherwise North Fork of the French Broad will suit the equipment you're taking. South Mills River is in the geographical mix, too...but is more an 'out in the woods' fish...but not arduous. A very pleasant patch of woods!

You won't be too terribly far from Johnson City, TN. You could fish the South Holston as well. IMO, that'll be your best, most consistent bet. Suits your equipment, too.

We've camped for years at the Davidson River campground. We're not serious or good fishermen, but we always try in/around the campground. Usually get a few small ones but on 1-2 occasions we've caught really nice ones. Mercurydime giving, no doubt, good advice. The whole area is beautiful and fun to explore. There is a place heading out of Brevard up 276, Davidson River Outfitters that offers guide service, etc.

The monster fish in the deep pool by the hatchery are picky. From what I know, they prefer tiny flies - think 28 - 32. But those fish hate me (I have not tried with the tiny flies I mentioned before). If I were to go back to the D, I would probably try some tight-line nymphing techniques.

I have not fished that area with any seriousness. I did see a bunch of small wild trout in the landing pool for the rock slide. While beautiful, the pool at the waterfall along the road is mostly sterile. Off the parkway, Dark Prong has some of the most beautiful water I have ever fished in my life but I got skunked. Still, I hear there are some fish in there.

If I was in your shoes, I would consider a hike to the stream at Graveyard Fields. I have not fished it but that is the remaining spot in that area that has my interest.

The monster fish in the deep pool by the hatchery are picky. From what I know, they prefer tiny flies - think 28 - 32. But those fish hate me (I have not tried with the tiny flies I mentioned before). If I were to go back to the D, I would probably try some tight-line nymphing techniques.

I have not fished that area with any seriousness. I did see a bunch of small wild trout in the landing pool for the rock slide. While beautiful, the pool at the waterfall along the road is mostly sterile. Off the parkway, Dark Prong has some of the most beautiful water I have ever fished in my life but I got skunked. Still, I hear there are some fish in there.

If I was in your shoes, I would consider a hike to the stream at Graveyard Fields. I have not fished it but that is the remaining spot in that area that has my interest.

He'll be a bit over-powered for Graveyard Fields with those rods. It's small, tight water. Beautiful, and fishes well...or at least it did. I haven't been in 4-5 years to fish it...after having made it a destination many times over the years...I have fished it numerous times with a 8ft. 4/5, but always wished I had a 7' or under...

Let's go up there and give it a glass workout one day...

That place does get crowded up there at times, too...even during the week...

Thanks for the advice. I have a 6'6" 3 weight but wanted to bring the others because they pack down smaller. Hell, I may throw it in the car too. I've been wanting to hit the Davidson for a long time and since this will be the first time in like 12 years that I've been in the Asheville area, I'll give it a shot. I may hit it in the morning and then try some of the other spots you've mentioned. I plan to stop by the Davidson River Outfitters store to get some advice on flies and pick up some new ones (and maybe a t-shirt).

I've never fished anything as small as a 28 and have only tied down to like an 18 or a 20 since I'm just starting to tie. Might be worth picking up a few of those from the shop. Even if I get skunked, I'm not working that day!

Thanks for the advice. I have a 6'6" 3 weight but wanted to bring the others because they pack down smaller. Hell, I may throw it in the car too. I've been wanting to hit the Davidson for a long time and since this will be the first time in like 12 years that I've been in the Asheville area, I'll give it a shot. I may hit it in the morning and then try some of the other spots you've mentioned. I plan to stop by the Davidson River Outfitters store to get some advice on flies and pick up some new ones (and maybe a t-shirt).

I've never fished anything as small as a 28 and have only tied down to like an 18 or a 20 since I'm just starting to tie. Might be worth picking up a few of those from the shop. Even if I get skunked, I'm not working that day!

I hit the Davidson last Monday and, as I expected, got skunked. It was beautiful and worth the trip. The water was LOW and clear. I didn't see a fish all day after trying a few holes. On Tuesday after I went to Biltmore, I hit the North Mills River for a few hours. The guys at Davidson River Outfitters told me it was stocked on that Monday so should be pretty active on Tuesday. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder there but close on Tuesday. I saw several including some huge ones and caught a nice 12 inch rainbow on a size 18 beadhead hare's ear nymph. I would have stayed longer but was meeting a friend for dinner.

I hope we get some rain soon both here in Virginia and in North Carolina and Tennessee. Streams in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park were really low too and the Park Service had fire warnings up everywhere.

I hit the Davidson last Monday and, as I expected, got skunked. It was beautiful and worth the trip. The water was LOW and clear. I didn't see a fish all day after trying a few holes. On Tuesday after I went to Biltmore, I hit the North Mills River for a few hours. The guys at Davidson River Outfitters told me it was stocked on that Monday so should be pretty active on Tuesday. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder there but close on Tuesday. I saw several including some huge ones and caught a nice 12 inch rainbow on a size 18 beadhead hare's ear nymph. I would have stayed longer but was meeting a friend for dinner.

I hope we get some rain soon both here in Virginia and in North Carolina and Tennessee. Streams in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park were really low too and the Park Service had fire warnings up everywhere.

Glad I'm not the only one that got skunked yesterday. Went down to Deckers with a buddy and we didn't get any action; double nymphing, streamers, pegged eggs...you name it. Not a damn bite.

Any of you tried the New Zealand style strike indicators? I've been using Thingamabobbers for a few years now and still like them. The New Zealand Strike Indicator set I bought came with the tubing and two colors of wool. You just have to put some floatant on the wool. It does make for a gentler presentation and looks more natural floating down the stream. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.
tool.jpg

Any of you tried the New Zealand style strike indicators? I've been using Thingamabobbers for a few years now and still like them. The New Zealand Strike Indicator set I bought came with the tubing and two colors of wool. You just have to put some floatant on the wool. It does make for a gentler presentation and looks more natural floating down the stream. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.
tool.jpg

My go-to strike indicator. The trick is not to get too much 'fluff' going so it sits well in the tube.

I had tried some yarn indicators a few years ago but didn't really like them as they always seemed to sink too easily. That's why I went to thingamabobbers. I did like the New Zealand ones when I tried them, especially as I was able to make them pretty small. I've also heard good things about Corqs indicators which are made from natural cork. I'd like to try them but can't find any in stores near me and Amazon has been hit or miss with quantities.

Back