• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

If anyone is interested, there is a guy selling a 7ft 3/4wt Southern Appalachian Rod Co. fiberglass rod and a ZYZ reel for $200. That would be an ideal set up for NC wild trout streams. (Wouldn't be my first pick for most delayed harvest water but it would be fine for places like Stone Mountain or the Mitchel River) http://www.southernappalachianrodco.com/ I was going to buy it but I already have several rods in that size category so I probably need therapy instead of yet another similar rod. Check out the Carolina Fly Fishing Club page on FB if interested.

Did a guided trip on the Eagle river outside Vail this weekend. Caught some FAT rainbows, but mostly I got a TON of good information from the guide - tons of coaching, lots of work with my roll-cast, lots of tips on reading water, picking flies, setting up my rig, and scheming/working lanes and water column depth. So much fun. I have a full on trout fever and the only thing that helps is more fishing!

Post Matthew, the Gulf Stream is really hitting right now. The highlight of my dad's trip this past weekend was a 45lb citation worthy Amberjack.
9e4952c99d4d75b0492df9ea009ec351.jpg

cf578e41f8a4e06db0668d0106777bbe.jpg

Heading to Beaufort, SC, for reds Friday through Sunday.

Also psyched that the new outboard for my microskiff project (Riverhawk B60) arrived at the retailer today. The mods for adding the remote-control trolling motor are already completed, along with a couple minor hull modifications, and the poling platform construction is underway. The boat has been a long project if you count the couple years I had in my garage from when I first bought it as a project until now when the finish line is in sight. I will use it for inshore at the coast and freshwater sight fishing.

Last edited:
Sweet. What motor are you going with? It should scream with a 15hp two stroke.

I just got done with a major overhaul of my boat. I did major fiberglass repairs to the hull and floor, then replaced the head gasket because I had a saltwater corrosion blockage preventing adequate water flow to the head.

"Never been in salt water."
- Guy I bought it from

Also, the poling platform will be cool, but very impractical due to the narrow beam of that boat. You'd be drafting 10" or so and be very unstable when you're poling unless you have significant ballast up front.

Edit: I just looked that rig up. It's way wider than I thought - 60". You'll be fine.

Last edited:

I just got done with a major overhaul of my boat. I did major fiberglass repairs to the hull and floor, then replaced the head gasket because I had a saltwater corrosion blockage preventing adequate water flow to the head.

- Guy I bought it from

LOLOLOL at screaming with a 15hp two stroke. You can get a microskiff, but you ain't ever gonna make her scream. Dude you put a 25 on the back of that thing and hit a wake it's done son.

- Guy I bought it from

Went with a Yamaha 20 hp. Saltwater trolling motor in front. This boat was in good shape but I am still getting some major reinforcement for the transom. This is the Kingfisher model so it already has a casting deck and I will gain some elevation from there with a cooler. Will post some pics when it finally gets finished in a few months.

We have a family boat for going fast and hanging out in the summers - this Riverhawk will be exclusively for fishing in calm water.

Last edited:
Nice day on the Upper Colorado River; put 2 small browns in the net. Hooked up with a big one that jumped off the hook. My buddy also hooked up with a big brown, but that one got away too.

f42cc533818ae3ce660a5875283ecf09.jpg

ad37c2710a0de835bd6c79d3a07ce415.jpg

71b2c2f4b18b7bb7bf0fc9416a966d37.jpg

Walked up on some big horn sheep on our way to the river. Fishing was a little slow, but it was otherwise a nice day!

Took an "Intro to the Science of Fly Fishing" course last night put on by a local freshwater aquatic life biologist / fly shop owner. The guy that taught the course works as a fishery manager for a private fishing club and a consultant for a company that does trout habitat construction / improvement in addition to his fly fishing related business. It was interesting to learn more about trout habitat, aquatic life / lifecycles, how trout see (including color perception), etc.

Really valuable course...the flies the guy gave away easily covered the cost of the class. Plus it was held at a brewery, so that doesn't hurt.

Ready to hit the water again ASAP.

Took an "Intro to the Science of Fly Fishing" course last night put on by a local freshwater aquatic life biologist / fly shop owner. The guy that taught the course works as a fishery manager for a private fishing club and a consultant for a company that does trout habitat construction / improvement in addition to his fly fishing related business. It was interesting to learn more about trout habitat, aquatic life / lifecycles, how trout see (including color perception), etc.

Really valuable course...the flies the guy gave away easily covered the cost of the class. Plus it was held at a brewery, so that doesn't hurt.

Ready to hit the water again ASAP.

What is the shop and where is it located?

Back