• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

That’s a mature red drum. Also commonly known as a red fish or spot tail bass. Fish was 41 inches. Not sure of the weight but it was hefty. They live inshore for a few years and are sometimes called puppy drum but a great sport fish. (That’s where I usually fish for them, typically with a fly rod) Once mature like this one they will go into the ocean. Caught this one at the end of an inlet jetty.
Nice catch

I’ve caught 3 nice sized red drum from the surf, all around 30 inches, I’m ready to upgrade and get a boat so I can catch these at little river inlet

I turn 40 this year and haven’t been fly fishing in years. Any thoughts on a good trip for a long weekend in October?

I turn 40 this year and haven’t been fly fishing in years. Any thoughts on a good trip for a long weekend in October?
Where is your starting point, how far do you want to go and would you get a guide? Steelhead might be showing up in NY by then, south of Buffalo. That’s a favorite trip for me but get a guide. (I can suggest one if interested) You might also enjoy a float trip on the S Holston in E TN with a guide. Or I could suggest some good guides for a wade trip in WNC.

Where is your starting point, how far do you want to go and would you get a guide? Steelhead might be showing up in NY by then, south of Buffalo. That’s a favorite trip for me but get a guide. (I can suggest one if interested) You might also enjoy a float trip on the S Holston in E TN with a guide. Or I could suggest some good guides for a wade trip in WNC.

I’m in Atlanta but am willing to fly anywhere in the lower 48. My wife is making the trip with me so it needs to be somewhere that’s more than just pure fishing.

Plenty of places to jump off from Asheville. I second AMC's rec on the South Holston. A dear friend of mine guides out of One Fly in Black Mountain. Be glad to hook you up.

I’m in Atlanta but am willing to fly anywhere in the lower 48. My wife is making the trip with me so it needs to be somewhere that’s more than just pure fishing.
Your wife might enjoy a western fly fishing trip, maybe near Yellowstone area. (Let me know if you want a good contact for that area.) A weekend in Bozeman could be good or something like a nice lodge on the Madison (not sure how that is fishing after a kill off awhile back). Montana is stunning but not easy travel and limited options for anything else outside of a metro area.

Or maybe a weekend In Breckinridge and a float trip on one of their rivers.

Or, closer to home, Bryson City area can be a good weekend away and multiple good guides in that area. Not sure it offers all that much for your wife, though. Or there are some trophy rivers in N Georgia, stocked and fed fish but a fun time.

I might go with the Breckinridge option as a best suggestion but your preferences could vary. I can get you a guide recommendation there, if interested. (A friend goes there to fish and has a guide he likes). Easy enough access from Denver.

Edited to say the guide he liked was out of Salida but recently moved to Montana. But that whole area can still be good with a lot to offer.

The Green River in Utah could be good, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recs. These are some good starting points. We would definitely wan to do a guided trip. I’ll follow up once we are closer to narrowing down a destination.

Looks like Breckinridge is going to be the choice.
If you are interested, you can get some good casting lessons here https://www.atlantaflyfishingschool.com/ or I can give you contact info to some phenomenal master certified casting instructors in the Atlanta area that could help you tune up your cast or maybe give your wife some skills to have a better time on the trip.

Thanks. We have some contacts down here already. We spent a weekend doing a 2-Day clinic just the two of us a few years ago and still practice in the backyard. Just haven’t actually gotten out on the water since our son was born.

Caught a ~100lb southern stingray and 30 dogfish from the surf yesterday

I’ve heard both are decent eating (apparently stingray tastes like scallops) but I didn’t want to fuss with it

Fish silverthorne area on the blur river for some great gold medal water action, then have lunch at butterhorn (or do early bfast there). Place is fuggin tasty

Also will put in a plug for tenkara. It is how I fish, and is very easy. Most importantly far more moveable on and off water with telescoping rod and no reel.

Last edited:
Past time for this. Let’s talk fishin’.

I just bought my first kayak. Went with one versatile enough for ponds, lakes, rivers, and ocean.

What are y’all’s favorite spots? What type of fish? What lures and baits do you use? Let’s chat!

I thought I remembered one but I couldn’t find it! Thanks!

Just know you'll be driving to get to the good water - Breck is overhyped as a "fishing" destination. If you're not already locked into Breck, Vail might be a better destination. Puts you closer to the water (you won't have to drive as far as if you're Breck based) and you can get some killer deals in October as it's shoulder season. Know that Vail can be a little sleepy compared to Breck that time of year. Regardless of where you stay, I'd recommend talking to Vail Valley Anglers, Gore Creek Anglers or Minturn Anglers.

I went to Denver for work a month or so ago. Had the afternoon free one day, so I rented a car and headed west towards a stream I found on the map. Stopped at Walmart and bought a $25 ultralight spinning combo, a rooster tail, and a one-day license. Caught dink browns until I got tired of doing it. One 17" slob. I caught so much shade from the flyfishers fully decked out in costume not catching anything.

Just know you'll be driving to get to the good water - Breck is overhyped as a "fishing" destination. If you're not already locked into Breck, Vail might be a better destination. Puts you closer to the water (you won't have to drive as far as if you're Breck based) and you can get some killer deals in October as it's shoulder season. Know that Vail can be a little sleepy compared to Breck that time of year. Regardless of where you stay, I'd recommend talking to Vail Valley Anglers, Gore Creek Anglers or Minturn Anglers.

Thank you. We aren’t locked into anything.

Back