• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Thank you. We aren’t locked into anything.

Frying Pan, stretches of the Arkansas around BV are fun, Poudre Canyon once the flow calms would all be much more “fun” imho fishing wise when it comes to Colorado

Frying Pan, stretches of the Arkansas around BV are fun, Poudre Canyon once the flow calms would all be much more “fun” imho fishing wise when it comes to Colorado
Spoken like a true tenkara / pocket water guy :cool:

I'm actually headed down to BV / Salida to float the Ark tomorrow and Saturday. We use an outfitter with a river-side lease with a gorgeous dinner tent and we glamp two nights - they take care of all the food and guiding all weekend. It's our 4th year with this outfitter and I can't wait to get down there.

Given our mutual love of fly fishing and live music, we're going to have to meet up one of the days. Do you ever go to the WakeDenver events? I know they have some stuff coming up over the next few months. It would be good to meet up some time - I'm always looking to connect with Wake folks!

ETA: @DeaconCav06 - The Buena Vista / Salida area could be a fun trip; not as big a tourist destination as the resort towns. Good hot springs in that area and both towns are pretty cool. Glenwood Springs could be a cool destination too - they also have great hot springs with a cool little town and plenty of access to great fisheries. Post back as you figure out the details!

Just bought a Skipjack 90. My first kayak so I’ll report back.
Been tearing up the bass this year on basically everything. Cooler weather has been nice!

Spoken like a true tenkara / pocket water guy :cool:

I'm actually headed down to BV / Salida to float the Ark tomorrow and Saturday. We use an outfitter with a river-side lease with a gorgeous dinner tent and we glamp two nights - they take care of all the food and guiding all weekend. It's our 4th year with this outfitter and I can't wait to get down there.

Given our mutual love of fly fishing and live music, we're going to have to meet up one of the days. Do you ever go to the WakeDenver events? I know they have some stuff coming up over the next few months. It would be good to meet up some time - I'm always looking to connect with Wake folks!

ETA: @DeaconCav06 - The Buena Vista / Salida area could be a fun trip; not as big a tourist destination as the resort towns. Good hot springs in that area and both towns are pretty cool. Glenwood Springs could be a cool destination too - they also have great hot springs with a cool little town and plenty of access to great fisheries. Post back as you figure out the details!

Yeah, I agree. I will check out the WakeDenver stuff as I have not done one yet. Regardless, we should find something. I’m shocked our paths haven’t crossed randomly at something out here.

Also, I’ll die on the Poudre Hill. That place is the best and stills feels like old Colorado.

Excellent weekend on the water. Had willing takes on top water, with nymphs and the streamer fishing was dynamite!

87060097fe38997fe6a7847dbfea8ca2.jpg

b2d04c7e63759de1b0e1dafcfffe0da1.jpg

For a person that comes from a long line of fishermen, I can't fish for shit.

Struck out at the beach all weekend. Kid down the jetty caught 4 fish on a freaking Mickey Mouse pole.

getting back into fishing for the first time since i was a kid

worms good for smallmouth bass fishing?

good resources for re-learning how to set up my own tackle, knowing which method/bait to use for which fish, local fishing seasons, etc. beyond just googling?

good resources for re-learning how to set up my own tackle, knowing which method/bait to use for which fish, local fishing seasons, etc. beyond just googling?

Whatever you do, don't tell the chat thread you went to a store that has fishing gear.

If you use live bait, you increase the chance for fish mortality. If you're going to keep them, no big deal. If you intend to release, artificial is probably best. Use single, barbless hooks if you intend to release. Fish on, and tight lines!

Worms are good for most freshwater species.

A lot of questions about method/bait depend on how and where you are fishing. Fishing on a boat on the Yadkin has a different method/bait than fishing from shore on a pond. If I’m on a boat on the Yadkin I’m pitching a wacky worm under the shaded docks. If I’m from shore on a pond I’m covering a lot of water with a spinnerbait or throwing a bobber with a worm / crayfish.

I haven’t caught a smallmouth in years but live crayfish or live hellgrammites work great. It is hard to find live bait, I typically google bait shops and call to see what they have available. To mercurydime’s point, use a circle hook to reduce fish mortality odds.

In terms of seasons, any time is good other than winter. I pay more attention to water clarity and I don’t fish after big rains when it is muddy.

IMG_3445.jpeg

Is this a brim or sunfish?
I’ve caught about 50 of them this year with my girls

I think the answer is, yes.

Colloquially, a lot of people in the south call most any sunfish or panfish “brim”.

Last edited:
Back