• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

And just in time for the weekend, thread bump.

Friday: Grilled burgers, turkey bacon + Pepperjack cheese wrapped in iceberg lettuce.

Saturday: Bacon-wrapped scallops over a bed of mashed rutabaga

Sunday: Pork butt, low and slow, that is the tempo.

Monday: Smoked Turkey and roasted vegetables.

I am baching it this weekend. Picked up a ny strip from whole foods and grilled it over cowboy charcoal, salt and pepper crust. Came out pretty tasty but the cut was thinner than i usually get ny strips so it was a bit over done. Still very tender though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have some pork tenderloins that have been marinating in a Cuban citrus marinade (orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, olive oil, etc.) since last night. Looking forward to firing those bad boys up on the BGE later today.

I have some pork tenderloins that have been marinating in a Cuban citrus marinade (orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, olive oil, etc.) since last night. Looking forward to firing those bad boys up on the BGE later today.

Slice it thin, throw it on a hoagie with pickles, mustard and provolone. Press that sammie and enjoy.

Well I've got a pork butt and two venison roasts slow cooking over some lump coal with apple cider in the drip pan. Figure we'll be dining on some venison for supper and chop up the 'cue before bed for lunch tomorrow. Happy Memorial Weekend everyone!

Turd

Grilling up some thick cut pork chops and brussel sprouts tonight.

I did some pizza tonight....too much oil on the pita bread though caused the crust to be a bit more done than I wanted. Shall improve next time.

I did turkey burgers on the Griddler.

A lot of fail in this post.

Ever brine those chops?

No - got a good brine?

My chops usually come out with plenty of moisture so I haven't felt like I needed a brine. Tonight they spent some time in the chimichurri I had left over from this weekend.

The wife picked up some legit saffron at Trader Joes. I've never dealt with the legit raw stuff, so I'm pretty stoked at the possibilities.

No - got a good brine?

My chops usually come out with plenty of moisture so I haven't felt like I needed a brine. Tonight they spent some time in the chimichurri I had left over from this weekend.

Honestly, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 salt, handful of peppercorns and whatever else you got (Bay Leaves, garlic salt and paprika are popular), dissolved into a low boil, and then cooled to room temp.

Add to a one gallon zip bag, add chops and let brine 12 hours (I usually do it first thing in a.m. day of grilling). Huge return for small effort invested.

Beef prices are going to spike this summer due to feed prices rising as a result of droughts in the Midwest.

i try to do this, but giving this as a solution to increasing prices is kind of insane. it's already significantly more expensive.

Not necessarily. A buddy of mine just bought a 1/8 share of a steer, mixed cuts, came out to $5.99/pound. If you've got the freezer space for it, buying a beef share is the way to go.

i try to do this, but giving this as a solution to increasing prices is kind of insane. it's already significantly more expensive.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're comparing it to organic grain-fed you'd get at the grocery, it's a good value. I get my grassfed beef from a local farm for just a bit more, and in some cases slightly less, than you can get high-end grain-fed in groceries depending on the cut and how much I buy at a time. Obviously it doesn't compare well to the bottom of the barrel, low-grade, non-organic stuff at HT, Wal-mart, etc. Also of note, it helps to establish a buying relationship with a farmer so you can buy off the farm rather than paying farmer's market prices too.

Grass is "free" and there are no transportation costs for local, which helps keep the costs low comparatively. As the cost of grain and fuel spikes, local grassfed should stay the same...hence the recommendation to look local for good beef as the grain prices go up.

Not necessarily. A buddy of mine just bought a 1/8 share of a steer, mixed cuts, came out to $5.99/pound. If you've got the freezer space for it, buying a beef share is the way to go.

I was quoted $4.75 a pound for a half cow last week. I need to get some power run out to my shed first for the freezer, but I'll probably go in with 2-3 folks on that here shortly.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're comparing it to organic grain-fed you'd get at the grocery, it's a good value. I get my grassfed beef from a local farm for just a bit more, and in some cases slightly less, than you can get high-end grain-fed in groceries depending on the cut and how much I buy at a time. Obviously it doesn't compare well to the bottom of the barrel, low-grade, non-organic stuff at HT, Wal-mart, etc. Also of note, it helps to establish a buying relationship with a farmer so you can buy off the farm rather than paying farmer's market prices too.

Grass is "free" and there are no transportation costs for local, which helps keep the costs low comparatively. As the cost of grain and fuel spikes, local grassfed should stay the same...hence the recommendation to look local for good beef as the grain prices go up.

i get that it'll stay the same (though i suspect it won't actually. if the "competition" is getting more expensive, then demand will increase for grass fed, which means the price will rise regardless), but it'll still be more expensive than grain fed. getting it straight from the farm is not a realistic option for most people.

Back