• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

So my mother-in-law got me a grill "basket" for my birthday last week. I haven't used it yet, and it looks like it could either be pretty good or a disaster. Does anyone use one of these things? Usually for vegetables I toss them in oil and spices and make aluminum foil packets to put them on the top shelf while grilling the meat. This basket goes on the main shelf and has holes in the bottom of it. The vegetables won't fall through, but I envision the oil dripping down and creating a fireball. Thoughts from anyone with experience on whether it is worth it to use it?

Much preferred to the aluminum foil packet IMO. If you just wanted to steam the veggies, you could do that inside. You're grilling them, so I assume you want some char and some smoky flavor. The basket will give you that while making them easier to manage than laying them on the grate.

I've never used that for veggies but do use it for fish and it works well. I usually spray the basket with Pam, throw the fish on and grill it. This way it gets direct flame without sticking to the grill grates.

They have their uses. I think they are good for veggies or small shrimp or delicate fish like flounder. If you're worried about the oil just don't use quite so much (like using a brush to apply the oil/spice mixture vs. tossing them in oil). I don't use mine very often but haven't had any issues when I do use it.

i use mine pretty often. You do have to go easy on the oil or you get flareups and too much burned oil flavor.

I'd also recommend grilling on one side, removing dough from the grill, putting toppings on the "cooked" side, then putting back on the grill to cook the bottom and heat the toppings. It doesn't need to be on more than a few minutes on each side.

I'd also recommend grilling on one side, removing dough from the grill, putting toppings on the "cooked" side, then putting back on the grill to cook the bottom and heat the toppings. It doesn't need to be on more than a few minutes on each side.

Good call.

Just did some of the premarinated Tyson breasts for salads and wraps over the next few days. Some kind of pesto. Slightly lazy but these things are pretty good.

Pizza is on at 400. Sipping on an Arnold Palmer variant as I cook. Sweet tea vodka and Sprite. Its quite tasty.

So I tried the grill basket tonight for vegetables. I did green beans, tomatoes, and mushrooms and they all came out pretty good. I mixed too much salt with the oil, but other than that I really liked the texture and smokey flavor. Will definitely use the basket more often. I'm excited to try peaches in it, as when I usually grill peaches they end up getting stuck to the grates more than I would like.

Also, has anyone else tried cooking the Boars Head dried bacon in a box on the grill? Holy shit it is like crack. I have an old iron skillet without a handle that I put the bacon in to keep the grease from dripping down, and put it in the grill for like 4 minutes per side. It is almost as good as cooking bacon on a turkey, but without having to cook a turkey.

It was my birthday earlier this week. I had a steak and bourbon dinner at home to celebrate. I decided to go for broke and picked up an American Style Kobe ribeye from the market for me and thawed a grass-fed filet from a local farm for my wife. Easily the BEST ribeye I've ever had. Amazing. The only problem is that I now have a taste for $30 per pound beef.

Decided to "salt crust" both steaks. Covered them in a thick layer of kosher salt and let them sit in the fridge for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile the charcoal was heating up to about 700 degrees grate temp outside. Pulled the steaks from the fridge, rinsed the salt, patted dry and layered on a little bit of olive oil before throwing them over the flame for a bit. Pull mine at 120 internal temp and let it rest up to 135 while my wife's thicker filet cooked up to a nice medium. Finished with some garlic and fresh black pepper.

Anyway, here are the before and after shots. The marbeling in the ribeye is amazing. Even my wife, who hates fatty cuts of beef, loved it. It's much different than the more gristly fat of a typical prime cut.

2v2jvw2.jpg

235ec.jpg

My local grocery store has a special on whole ribeyes for $4.99/lb and they cut them how you want. I just got a whole ribeye and had them cut it into 6 1lb steaks and 6 1 1/2 lb steaks. I love opening the freezer door and seeing a whole shelf full of thick ribeyes.

Choice. Far from your Kobe, but at $4.99/lb I'll be sure none of these go to waste.

That could be. The butcher said it's the lowest he's ever seen them. This is one of the two packages.

photo_zps7b17c994.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back