• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Brined pork chops; roasted garlic turned into a paste, rubbed into a butter herbed with rosemary, topped to serve.

I burned out the guts of my crappy Charmglow grill a few weeks ago, so yesterday I finally caved and bought a Weber Genesis with searing burner. Holy shit. I bought some filet mignon from the Teeter to pop its cherry, and they came out better than anything I had grilled in the past 7 years on the old grill. Today was chicken kabobs, and, again, perfection. It is amazing how evenly it cooks. We usually grill about 3 or 4 nights per week from April until about September, I think it could get up to 5 or 6 with this thing. I've never been able to get fish to come out decently, but now I'm excited to try again.

NY Strip Steak, 4 hour marinade of orange zest, worcestershire, olive oil, minced garlic and some routine spices (I always like sage on red meat), grilled in a cast iron skillet and cut into bite0sized strips, served over baby Spinach, sauteed mushrooms and onions, with Feta, walnuts and a dressing of brown mustard, ACV and EVOO. It was so good that even Dirk had to comment:

Never thought to use sage on a NY Strip even though I always use it in my bison meatloaf. Will try it this week.

Welcome to the family 2&2. I think somewhere Weber has locked away the cure to cancer. They're that awesome.

Yeah I had read all of the reviews but still didn't apprciate it until I tried it. I put some hotdogs on the upper rack for half the time the chicken was cooking, and they were cooked perfectly around without ever even flipping them. On my old grill one side of them would have been completely black and the other side would have been marginally cooked.

Home Depot has the Weber Summit S420 on sale for $1199. I think it is normally $1499. Awesome looking grill!

anyone have a good rec for a WFU grill cover? or any other Wake accessories?

I've owned the cover on the left, but this is the first time I've seen the one on the right. Both are in the $30-$40 price range. They are your basic run of the mill grill cover though, so I wouldnt expect them to last for more than a season or two, especially with how brutal the sun is in the south.
thumb.aspx
thumb.aspx

One thing I've got that I love is the WFU Sportula. Its great for putting designs into your meats or toast. For burgers, you can put the sportula directly on the grill grate and the burger on top. Leave it for the length of the cook and the WF logo will be charred on your meat.

thumb.aspx

I cant find a picture of it, but another item I'd suggest is the WFU grill mat. If your grill is on your deck or a cement patio, its great for catching grease splatter. Mine is a brown almost cement like mat with the logo on the lower center of it.

I've got that sportula as well. Always humerous when I give a UNC fan neighbor a burger with a Wake logo charred into it. However, I've also gotten some "you need to burn this more if it is supposed to reflect your basketball program" responses lately.

Anyone have experience as to what size pig to get for a party? I have found wildly contrasting info online ranging from 0.75 lbs/person to 1.5 lbs/person, but I know that some of y'all probably have experience in this arena. There will be other food there as well, but the pig will be the main event. It could be close to 100 people. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone have experience as to what size pig to get for a party? I have found wildly contrasting info online ranging from 0.75 lbs/person to 1.5 lbs/person, but I know that some of y'all probably have experience in this arena. There will be other food there as well, but the pig will be the main event. It could be close to 100 people. Any help would be appreciated.

We do a 100-110 lb pig for our homecoming tailgate each year, and its plenty for 100-150 people. Assuming you have sides to go with it, each pork sandwich will average 1/4lb of meat. You'll probably lose 60% of the hog's weight in cooking and removing the bones.

Never thought to use sage on a NY Strip even though I always use it in my bison meatloaf. Will try it this week.

You will not regret it. Sage and red meat are like Cliff and Chris Paul.

Fresh Jalapeno's are so much better!

Agreed. Always go for the fresh over the pickled at Moe's. Though I would probably saute them down a bit to take away the bite before putting them in burgers.

I've had a recent obsession with grilling ribeyes and asparagus. Now I'm putting extra dizzy pig on the cap. So freaking good

Back