• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I usually precook my scallops (salt, pepper and EVOO) on a cast iron skillet, and then wrap with bacon over indirect heat. I use thin-sliced turkey bacon, which I think gives the scallops more "room" on the pallet to show off. I tended to burn the bacon when I cook them all at once, mainly b/c I get the biggest scallops I can find.

Where do you guys get your fish? I get to travel for work a lot, so I prefer O'Neal's Sea Harvest in Wanchese. I load up when I'm down there, ice it down, eat what I can fresh and freeze the rest. Something about buying it from a building with a boat out back.

Where do you guys get fish inland?

To be honest, there is no real good place to get good fish. Costco would be the best, but its still nothing compared to fresh seafood.

I'm throwing a couple filets and a NY Strip on the grill tonight. We're going to have a baked potato with it, but want an additional veggie. Any good suggestions on something I can cook in the grill basket?

I usually precook my scallops (salt, pepper and EVOO) on a cast iron skillet, and then wrap with bacon over indirect heat. I use thin-sliced turkey bacon, which I think gives the scallops more "room" on the pallet to show off. I tended to burn the bacon when I cook them all at once, mainly b/c I get the biggest scallops I can find.

Where do you guys get your fish? I get to travel for work a lot, so I prefer O'Neal's Sea Harvest in Wanchese. I load up when I'm down there, ice it down, eat what I can fresh and freeze the rest. Something about buying it from a building with a boat out back.

http://www.seaproductsnc.com/

Any good suggestions on something I can cook in the grill basket?

Zucchini/Squash, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli spears, Asparagus. In all cases, toss in olive oil and salt/pepper, maybe a little garlic, and roast.

Zucchini/Squash, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli spears, Asparagus. In all cases, toss in olive oil and salt/pepper, maybe a little garlic, and roast.

All good. We frequently do some combo of peppers, onions, maybe eggplants. Depending on what looks good. I've found that asparagus can get a little tough on the grill if you're not careful.

zucchini, squash, and mushrooms tossed in evoo with salt and pepper is my go-to in the summer for grilled veggies. just so damn good.

zucchini, squash, and mushrooms tossed in evoo with salt and pepper is my go-to in the summer for grilled veggies. just so damn good.

grilled mushrooms are delicious. my mom forced me to eat mushrooms as a kid, and i hated them then. because of that, i just never really tried them again until last year. when i finally did, i'm sitting there like "I MISSED OUT ON THIS ALL THESE YEARS?!?!?!"

Asparagus is definitely out. I've got close to 40 plants in the ground that have yet to come up this year. I swore a couple years ago I'd never eat anything but home grown asparagus.

I'm thinking something that would go with carrots. I've got some corn on the cob that I could do, but with potatoes and carrots, I don't want to go overboard on the carbs.

This is kind of a dumb question but during the grilling process when do you put on the pimento cheese for a pimento cheese burger?

This is kind of a dumb question but during the grilling process when do you put on the pimento cheese for a pimento cheese burger?

We do it just a minute or so before it comes off the grill.

As soon as I pull the burger. I like to let heat of the patty melt the cheese from beneath.

If I'm using a charcoal grill, I'll put it on immediately after taking them off and let some of it melt as they rest. If I'm using a gas grill, I'll add it to the top and then turn the burners off and just close the lid. The residual heat will melt it as it "rest" in the grill.

What are some cool grill tools/accessories I need to register for? I'm currently registered at BB&B, W&S and Pottery Barn but will register at a better place for some grill stuff if necessary.

Currently registered for the following:
Tray
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1926021/?wlitemid=1926021&wlid=jwwjwxdzq9&ggfrl=1

Griddle
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/7514136/?wlitemid=7514136&wlid=jwwjwxdzq9&ggfrl=1

we registered for a pizza stone: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...CTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

photo1tcu.jpg

Nice ribeye and asparagus, both from Fresh Market. Prepared the steak with oil, salt, pepper, and Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. Prepared the asparagus with oil, salt and pepper. It turned out a perfect medium rare.

photo2xw.jpg

Shrimp with Old Bay (I need metal skewers).

photo3hfb.jpg

Jucy Lucys with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.

Putting our grill together sometime between today and Saturday.

Its been too long

I've never had good luck with grill accessories, although the tray looks pretty solid. My grill grates went to shit last winter because I didn't do a good job of keeping them seasoned so I think I'm going to have to get new ones before I can start grilling again.

What kind of grill do you have? If charcoal, definitely a chimney starter.

Regardless, its nice to have either a very long handled grill brush or a grill glove. Reaching the back of a large, hot grill can be a little dicey without one.

I love my grill basket, especially for grilling smaller chopped vegetables. I never thought I'd say this, but I also love my rotisserie. It opens up the possibilities of what you can experiment with when you have one of these.

Also, a nice apron. You don't want splatter or grease getting on you. They make some now that come complete with beer holder and bottle opener. I'd suggest one of those. Beer and grilling compliment each other nicely.

Back