• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Anyone played around with the Weber Gourmet line of grill accessories? I've already got a serviceable charcoal grill, but I'm tempted to pick up a Weber Kettle just for the capabilities and that I'm a Weber homer. They've currently got a cross hatch searing grate, a frying pan and a wok. I've see some guys online also work in a pizza stone.

http://www.weber.com/gourmetbbq/
full_7420A.jpg

full_wok_grate.jpg

full_8833A.jpg

Don't have them yet, but they are on my Amazon wishlist. Will get around to grabbing them one day. Particularly interested in the searing grate, as the full cast iron grate replacements on the market make it much harder to add/place/light charcoal.

We made pimento cheeseburgers last night, with homemade palmetto style pimento cheese. We grilled the red peppers, chopped them and threw them in. Add on top of that a buttered roll from the breadmaker and it was melt in you mouth good.

Love pimento cheese on a hamburger also. The palmetto cheese or jalapeno palmetto cheese are great. I also love Robert's pimento cheese when I'm at Wrightsville Beach...usually bring a few containers back with me when I head home.

This has been a stellar weekend. Great evening to sit on the back deck, beer in hand, two NY Strips on the grill.

After looking at the Weber accessories I started to look for other options; wasn't sure if I like the idea of just having a cast iron insert. Came across a few products I am considering:

cast-iron-grate1.jpg

images

RBGEL-2T.jpg

I think I like the first two options the best since they are cast iron, but the last one is aluminum and would be easier to maintain.

Just crushed brined pork chops to open the season. Marvin Gaye never got it on that good.

We did two racks of ribs on the Egg last weekend and followed it up with beer can chicken this weekend. Solid pair of weekends. I have to say that I am loving the BGE even more than I expected.

dhtoy and i had both sets of our parents over to grill out last night. grilled carrots and sirloins (plus quinoa salad and spinach salad). delicious way to break out the grill for a new season.

I need some new ideas for burgers. I typically use 80/20 angus meat and add a splash of worcestershire and a little salt. I'm trying to experiment a little with seasonings/additives to the meats or new types of meats and grilling styles. I have a Weber charcoal grill. What ya got for me?

Oh and any suggestions on burger buns and how to spruce those up a bit. I'm kinda tired of it being just the bread for the burgers. I want some good texture/flavor for those too.

I need some new ideas for burgers. I typically use 80/20 angus meat and add a splash of worcestershire and a little salt. I'm trying to experiment a little with seasonings/additives to the meats or new types of meats and grilling styles. I have a Weber charcoal grill. What ya got for me?

Oh and any suggestions on burger buns and how to spruce those up a bit. I'm kinda tired of it being just the bread for the burgers. I want some good texture/flavor for those too.

It'll sound gross, but its really good. I mix in wilted spinach, a little minced garlic, fresh mozzarella, and bbq sauce into plain hamburger meat when I want to mix it up. Its good with a slice of tomato and lettuce, no condiments needed.

Sesame seed buns, or sourdough are my two go to burger buns.

Reactions: DG3

I typically just go with salt, pepper, maybe a little oregano, and a splash of worcestershire also. It adds a little extra flavor but you don't lose the flavor of the beef. To change things up you could mix cheese into the meat before you form it into patties, like blue cheese.

Every now and then i'll also press out two very thin patties and put cheese on one patty and top with the other...sealing the edges with the cheese inside. To get a uniform thickness i put out a piece of wax paper on the counter...then i take a ball of ground beef and put it in the middle and put another piece of wax paper on top. Then I press down hard with a heavy cookie sheet until it reaches the desired thickness.

I like Dizzy Pig Cow Lick steak rub and think it's great on burgers. I typically use sesame seed buns or kaiser rolls, but for a change I like pretzel rolls. For pretzel rolls I like to split them and butter each side and put them in a skillet. I use a press to keep them pushed down and form a nice crust (like you'd find on the outside of a grilled cheese). I think the texture adds a little something more than just a plain, or even toasted, bun.

B&D where did you purchase the Dizzy Pig steak rub? I've been using the McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and I'm looking to try something new.

I use garlic powder with Worcestershire sauce. Salt and pepper the outside of the patties right before grilling.

Sometimes when I get real crazy I make lamburgers.

You can buy Dizzy Pig rubs at Casual Furniture World on Hanes Mall if you are in Winston.

I am wanting to try some jumbo bacon wrapped scallops on my Big Green Egg for the 1st time this week. Anybody have any recs on the best way to do them? I have read to cook the bacon partially first then wrap the scallops and cook them at 500 degrees for 2 min on each side on a cast iron sheet on the grill. I picked up a half moon shaped cast iron pan for my BGE today. Do I need to worry about the scallops sticking to the cast iron? Best way to avoid that? Any recs on what sorts of seasonings to put on the scallops?

Brush the cast iron with olive oil...that should help. Haven't done the bacon but have done scalllops seared at ~600, 2 mins should be right...usually end up doing the red chili crusted.

Back