• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Update on our side about Addie, our old, blind rescue dachshund with cancer. We took her to the vet a few weeks back because she has a mammary tumor coming back on her stomach again. It is growing at an alarming rate. However, we got an xray done of her chest and there are no obvious signs that the cancer has spread to her chest. Her X-ray looks clean. We had bloodwork done on her and all of that looks great too. BUT, she has developed a bit of a heart murmur and her heart is enlarged, so we are not sure if we should have the surgery to remove the tumor as the heart issue makes anesthesia a little more of a risk. The vet has a message out to the cardiologist to get her opinion, so we'll get that and then make a decision on whether or not to attempt the surgery for her.

She has made it more than a year since her rescue from the puppy mill (and surgery to remove about a 1.5 pound tumor and to repair two hernias) so she is hanging in there, but we want her to be around and enjoy a better life as long as possible.

My dumb dog ate an entire container of sugar free gum at some point overnight. I didn't realize it, but certain sugar free gums contain Xylitol, which is highly toxic for dogs. Naturally, this gum was one of them. So, this morning, he was acting lethargic and didn't want to come down and eat breakfast, which is unusual. That's when I discovered the empty gum container. He ended up barfing up 20 of the 40 pieces, and was generally acting normal, but we took him to the vet to be safe. His liver function is elevated, but not severe, and his glucose levels are normal, which is good, but they're going to have to transfer him to a 24-hour place and monitor his glucose levels overnight, which means it is going to be $$$. I guess we're pretty lucky that he's a big dog and, based on past adventures eating poisonous stuff, seems to be indestructible.

Moral of the story: if you buy gum, don't buy gum with Xylitol -- Trident, Ice Breakers, etc. If you do, definitely don't let your pooch get a hold of any.

72 hours and $1600 later, my pooch is home and seems to be no worse for the wear. The animal appears to have a liver that would make Keith Richards envious. Clearly the only explanation is that he is an INVINCIBLE DOG.

Seriously though, I'm so glad he's okay. Funny how this dog drives me crazy 95% of the time, but he's still part of the family.

here's a race pic of caddie's from a trail race she ran a couple of months ago. and oh yeah, she won!

421235_536188576437873_1399277261_n.jpg

Anybody looking for a dog in the Winston area? We rescued a dog that was walking down the middle of Hanes mall blvd a couple weekends ago. She is probably the sweetest dog I have ever met. We've been keeping her, but with a German shepherd & a terrier mix, we can't really keep her long term. We would love to though. She had her surgery yesterday to be fixed. She has yet to bark in the 2 weeks we've had her. She does jump over fences though.

PM me for more info.

Anybody looking for a dog in the Winston area? We rescued a dog that was walking down the middle of Hanes mall blvd a couple weekends ago. She is probably the sweetest dog I have ever met. We've been keeping her, but with a German shepherd & a terrier mix, we can't really keep her long term. We would love to though. She had her surgery yesterday to be fixed. She has yet to bark in the 2 weeks we've had her. She does jump over fences though.

PM me for more info.

I'm unable to take her, but some pertinent info you might include:
Any distinguishable breed in her?
How big is she?
Is she around kids at your house? How is she with interacting with your other two?

I'm unable to take her, but some pertinent info you might include:
Any distinguishable breed in her?
How big is she?
Is she around kids at your house? How is she with interacting with your other two?

She is a mutt, but the most distinguishable breeding her is pit bull & boxer. We fear that because people will read that, that will scare them away thinking this is a mean dog before they get to meet her. But definitely not the case with her.

Since I have had beagles before, I would say she is similar size to one. Around 2 feet tall. Extremely underweight. In a gist, a medium sized dog.

She is around kids, and she is just as sweet with them as she is with me. She doesn't bark when kids go passing by, or runners, bikers, other dogs.

The first time she met the other 2 dogs, they had the normal stand off between dogs. But since then, they have been pretty good. Sherman and the rescue were laying head-to-head on the sofa the other night. But I must say, an electric fence would be the best for her as she can jump over our nearly 5' & 6" fence.

I'd love to talk the wife into taking her in, but our dog is really Alpha, and I'm afraid that he wouldn't accept another dog into the house without him getting used to it as a puppy first. She sounds awesome though, I'll put the word out around town and see if there are any bites.

I'd love to talk the wife into taking her in, but our dog is really Alpha, and I'm afraid that he wouldn't accept another dog into the house without him getting used to it as a puppy first. She sounds awesome though, I'll put the word out around town and see if there are any bites.

She is only around 6-8 months old. And thanks man! We'll keep her until we find a home for her as we don't want to send her to a shelter with the risk of her getting put down. She's too sweet for that. Let me know if y'all need any pics & I'll either post some here or PM ya.

We love our pitt/boxer/shepherd mixes, but with 2 we are donezo.

She is only around 6-8 months old. And thanks man! We'll keep her until we find a home for her as we don't want to send her to a shelter with the risk of her getting put down. She's too sweet for that. Let me know if y'all need any pics & I'll either post some here or PM ya.

That might be young enough, and with it being a girl that could help too.

Post a picture or PM me one please. The wife's interest has at least been piqued!

Found out this morning that our cat has diabetes.

h62110050

Hope Chic enjoys trying to give him the insulin shots, because no chance I'm doing it.

Found out this morning that our cat has diabetes.

h62110050

Hope Chic enjoys trying to give him the insulin shots, because no chance I'm doing it.

Just save yourself the trouble and give him a single injection....

Post a picture or PM me one please. The wife's interest has at least been piqued!

Let me get them on my computer & I'll get them to ya!

ETA: we got her back from her surgery this morning and the vet let us know that she is actually around 10 months old.

Booger has a mystery pain thing going on. It's either his side or his back. Causing some yelps and anxiety like something is up. No loss of appetite or visible wounds. He doesn't necessarily react to any touch areas. He will still run after a ball, and his gait is not altered.

Reading online it seems like it could be back injury of some sort. Haven't ruled out some type of stomach pain or constipation.

Gonna try to get through tomorrow and get him into the vet on Monday without having to pay out the ass for the emergency vet. Breaks my heart to see him in any sort of pain.

Hmm, I hope that goes well for you. Interesting that there's no touch sensitivity. Is there anything he could have eaten that's poking when he moves certain ways?

Mr. Jack had a big adventure at the vet yesterday - just his annual exam/shots, but when I came to pick him up, the tech was like "oh, the vet would like to talk to you about the test results, so I'm going to put you in a room."

that's it, that's all the info I got. So then I sat in a clinical room (without jackson), waiting forever for the vet and assuming the worst. I was on the verge of tears by the time the vet finally got there, only to tell me that he needs a teeth cleaning.
DON'T SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF ME LIKE THAT THINKING MY DOG HAS CANCER JUST TO TELL ME HIS BREATH SMELLS.

today i can tell jackson was anxious the whole time he was there because he's been PTFO all. day. didn't even wake up with me this morning for breakfast.

It's possible that he ate something weird while in the backyard, but I doubt it. Most of the online searches seem to indicate like a pinched nerve in the spine. A friend is staying and brought their dog who is still a puppy, so it's likely it was an injury from play. He still jumps up on the couch and runs around. Just careful about how he lays down.

Back