• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

On another random note, there is a lady in our neighborhood who is moving for graduate school and needs to re-home her 4 year old male Weimaraner. I have never met the dog, but she says that he is well-behaved, docile and loves kids. He gets along well with other dogs and animals. He is up-to-date on his shots and vet records and just needs a great home.

I have had Weimaraners in the past and they are great dogs, although they are somewhat of a "velcro dog" for a larger breed, and they can be prone to separation anxiety.

We would probably look to take him ourselves if we could. However, we have a longhaired Dachshund foster here right now who is undergoing heartworm treatments. That puts us up to five Dachshunds in the house right now, and we have to do all we can to keep the foster dog calm as part of his treatment. (He is on strict crate rest for a month right now) Needless to say, I don't think we can risk bringing a Weimie into the house right now.

Anyone know anyone that's always wanted a Gray Ghost? I'm trying to help out here, so let's not judge the needing to "re-home" part. I know I'm as bad as anyone for that, but I'm focused on helping place the dog. She had him posted on our neighborhood board as "free to a great home", so I'm intervening. Free to a good home dogs often end up with breeders or dog fighters and I won't let that happen.

What kind of spoils did King Booger get last night? Your FB photos yesterday afternoon created one hell of dust storm in our house btw.

Stopped at CFA on the way home, and we split some nuggets, fires, and an ice dream cone. He got a milkbone as well. Had some Cheetos and pizza toppings at the house.

Wrigley can thank Booger for some chicken tonight after reading this thread earlier this afternoon.

Thoughts are with you Freak and Booger.

Stopped at CFA on the way home, and we split some nuggets, fires, and an ice dream cone. He got a milkbone as well. Had some Cheetos and pizza toppings at the house.

This is awesome. Booger's probably feeling pretty special, although I imagine his dumps are a nightmare now.

I can't take all this sadness, so here's a pic of my pup with her old dog bed on her back. (Not a great pic, but all I have on my new phone, unless I can figure out how to upload the video of her barking at me.)

LHCt6b2.jpg

I'll continue with the non-sadness. Here is the puppy that I've been fostering since February. She had a major heart condition, but the awesome people at NC State's vet school fixed it and she is better than ever now. She still needs to take medicine twice a day, but it is super cheap, around $8 for a 3 month supply. Tomorrow will be her 4th adoption fair. It will be held at the Family Video on Reynolda Rd in Winston from 12pm to 3pm. So many other cute dogs available for adoption as well.

We simply call her Puppy, but the name that Stepping Stones (the organization that saved her) gave her is Fantasia.

dbfkj.jpg

We think she is a Basenji mixed with some sort of retriever or shepherd dog.

I'll continue with the non-sadness. Here is the puppy that I've been fostering since February. She had a major heart condition, but the awesome people at NC State's vet school fixed it and she is better than ever now. She still needs to take medicine twice a day, but it is super cheap, around $8 for a 3 month supply. Tomorrow will be her 4th adoption fair. It will be held at the Family Video on Reynolda Rd in Winston from 12pm to 3pm. So many other cute dogs available for adoption as well.

We simply call her Puppy, but the name that Stepping Stones (the organization that saved her) gave her is Fantasia.

dbfkj.jpg

We think she is a Basenji mixed with some sort of retriever or shepherd dog.

How did you get involved with fostering? I'm not sure I could handle giving the dogs up. I guess it probably is rewarding in its own right to see them get a happy new home.

How did you get involved with fostering? I'm not sure I could handle giving the dogs up. I guess it probably is rewarding in its own right to see them get a happy new home.

My wife happens to work with a lady that helps run Stepping Stones. They brought in Puppy with another dog from Nash county before they could be put down back in February. They knew the other dog had mange, but thought Puppy was good to go and would be easily adopted out. In fact, my wife wanted to adopt her possibly.

First vet appointment he heard a heart murmur. As we went to more visits they eventually discovered that she had two heart stenosises (sp?) and needed surgery to fix them or she would only live to about 1 year. NC State ended up footing about 2/3 of the bill with Stepping Stones covering the rest.

I do doubt that we foster again, though. 1) because as you said you get so damn attached to these dogs and 2) because my 2 dogs and her get along so well. I know they are going to be bummed when she finds her forever home. (not as bummed as they would be if one of them left, but still pretty bummed!)

I mean, seriously, this is just unfairly cute.

23lf9za.jpg

npj7r8.jpg

Last edited:
We could, but I learned that I don't want to take on 3 dogs at once. At least not right now.

Fostering can be really tough, especially when you have one come through that has to stay for an extended time and/or really hits it off with your current pack!

With that said, it feels great when you help match a dog with a great family. Also, remember that fostering saves a ton of lives because you are helping free up space in the shelters. It also really helps some dogs that would not present well in a shelter environment, but are fine when they are in a home.

Thanks all, sorry for the heaviness. Been a weird day up and down day, went to our 30-week ultrasound first thing this morning and all is healthy and great, then took Elvis, its 9/11..just weird.

But Elvis had a good life and Im stoked to have rescued him and given him all the cat food and ear scratching one cat can handle. He was pretty high on the sedative (chip off the old block, that one) and so I know he went peacefully.

Back to happy dog pics!!!!

Back