• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

yeah, I like cats. I've always had a cat my whole life except for a few years in college. I'm just so damned tired of scooping litter and cleaning up puke. I never got used to it, I hate that shit. And the dog is so much fun and so much more into hanging out.

so, this morning absolutely sucked.

woke up and did my normal morning routine, jackson didn't really respond to me getting out of bed (which is normal), but then once i opened the bathroom door he still hadn't moved. this was slightly concerning because normally while i'm in the shower it'll register with him that it's walk/food time and he'll be waiting nose in the door for me to open up, but i could see him breathing and figured he was just in a deep sleep. went and got dressed, came back in to get him up to go outside - that's when i realized he couldn't move. he was awake, he was looking at me, but he couldn't move. i tried to help massage him up, but he was unable to help me help him. i finally lifted him to standing and he just leaned against the bed. at that point i woke jason up, which is basically my nightmare, and the two of us tried to coax him into moving/walking it out. he couldn't.at this point, jason and i are both sobbing. we fastened a towel as a harness and he was able to take a few hobbly steps, but then laid down in the hallway. we carried him to the car and got him to the vet, where he was able to hobble-step on his own into the office (side note- if you're crying really hard when you go into the vet's office, you get into an exam room really quickly).
at the vet jackson was wagging his tail, but clearly still unable to really control his legs and obviously distressed. with a couple quick tests (putting his foot in an awkward way and seeing if jackson could/would fix it) the vet quickly diagnosed degenerative neuromyopathy, which is like MS - his peripheral nerves are breaking down; some days are better than others and clearly today was a bad day. i truly think he saved up the 'bad day' for this morning so the girl we had staying with him this weekend didn't have any issues with him. the vet did some acupuncture on him because that had helped his old lab with similar issues and now we've got him on some anti-inflammatory meds, and we just ordered a harness that will help me get him up and down the stairs. so that's where we're at now. i have no idea time-frame, anything. i'm pretty sure we both thought today was it... thankful for however many more days we can have with that stinky sweet man, as long as he's not in any pain.

not the greatest start to the day.

woke up and did my normal morning routine, jackson didn't really respond to me getting out of bed (which is normal), but then once i opened the bathroom door he still hadn't moved. this was slightly concerning because normally while i'm in the shower it'll register with him that it's walk/food time and he'll be waiting nose in the door for me to open up, but i could see him breathing and figured he was just in a deep sleep. went and got dressed, came back in to get him up to go outside - that's when i realized he couldn't move. he was awake, he was looking at me, but he couldn't move. i tried to help massage him up, but he was unable to help me help him. i finally lifted him to standing and he just leaned against the bed. at that point i woke jason up, which is basically my nightmare, and the two of us tried to coax him into moving/walking it out. he couldn't.at this point, jason and i are both sobbing. we fastened a towel as a harness and he was able to take a few hobbly steps, but then laid down in the hallway. we carried him to the car and got him to the vet, where he was able to hobble-step on his own into the office (side note- if you're crying really hard when you go into the vet's office, you get into an exam room really quickly).
at the vet jackson was wagging his tail, but clearly still unable to really control his legs and obviously distressed. with a couple quick tests (putting his foot in an awkward way and seeing if jackson could/would fix it) the vet quickly diagnosed degenerative neuromyopathy, which is like MS - his peripheral nerves are breaking down; some days are better than others and clearly today was a bad day. i truly think he saved up the 'bad day' for this morning so the girl we had staying with him this weekend didn't have any issues with him. the vet did some acupuncture on him because that had helped his old lab with similar issues and now we've got him on some anti-inflammatory meds, and we just ordered a harness that will help me get him up and down the stairs. so that's where we're at now. i have no idea time-frame, anything. i'm pretty sure we both thought today was it... thankful for however many more days we can have with that stinky sweet man, as long as he's not in any pain.

Chester has the same issue and is on similar meds. So tough.

the thing that got me when we put our first dog (and absolute favorite if I had to pick) down was when i walked into the room (i met the family there as it was as random as could be), I said "hey buddy" and his tail just went crazy. rivers were a flowing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410826758.794118.jpg

This dog, y'all. I can't even.

So sorry to hear that, lbe. I totally get what it means now to have a dog, and he is without a doubt one of the best things to ever happen to us. I refuse to believe that he will ever get older or sick and he will pretty much live forever as far as I know.

Oh wow. Had no idea what your FB status meant. This really sucks. Hopefully with meds and the harness you'll have many more good days!

Since Booger is having a good string of good days after a rough Sunday, time to keep some good vibes going...PUPPIES in the water!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/seth-casteel-underwater-puppies-photography_n_5828262.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000023&ir=Good+News

slide_368464_4224370_free.jpg

Bought some "boots" for my dog last weekend since we're taking him hiking with us next month. Put them on and hilarity ensued for about 10 minutes, but he's been doing great walking in them this week; it amazes me how quickly he adapted.

Bought some "boots" for my dog last weekend since we're taking him hiking with us next month. Put them on and hilarity ensued for about 10 minutes, but he's been doing great walking in them this week; it amazes me how quickly he adapted.

I really want to buy some and video that first ten minutes, just for my own amusement.

I get to dog sit this weekend. I'm excited since I haven't spent extended periods of time with a dog since mine died years ago. It's a 10 year old boxer that is very nice. I really want a dog of my own so this will be a good test to see if I'm ready/have room in my place for one.

I really want to buy some and video that first ten minutes, just for my own amusement.

1248951765_kitten-mittens.gif

Back