• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Our dog, Tucker, is in a bad place, y'all. I'm posting here because I'm pretty torn up about it.

He's a 2-year old mix (rescue dog--probably bull terrier), and yesterday I went for a jog and left him sitting on the couch. I got back about half an hour later, and he had knocked a bottle of adviloff the counter and chewed the lid off. We're usually vigilant about not having anything he wants to chew in any place where he might grab it, so I feel awful about the mistake. It didn't look like he ate any pills, though, so I just picked everything up and threw it away. A couple hours later, he threw up his dinner, so I figured he did actually eat some of the advil and his body rejected.

Now he's at the vet with failing kidneys. They're not sure if its getting better or worse; apparently, dogs can recover from this although it's not likely. Fucking sucks. I wish I'd thought to induce him to vomit the minute I thought he might have eaten anything. This is actually the second time he's knocked a bottle of pills off the counter, but the first time it happened we were in the house with him and he showed zero interest in actually eating anything. He just wanted to chew the lid off--he sniffed the pills, decided they weren't food, and then trotted away.

Sorry to hear that man; sending some good vibes your way.
:werd:

I'm terrified we may eventually be in the same situation. Our dogs have associated the sound of pill bottles with getting their nightly Benadryl treat, so now every time we grab a pill bottle, they come running thinking its for them.

:( so sorry to hear that, texas. good healing vibes for Tucker...

Our dog, Tucker, is in a bad place, y'all. I'm posting here because I'm pretty torn up about it.

He's a 2-year old mix (rescue dog--probably bull terrier), and yesterday I went for a jog and left him sitting on the couch. I got back about half an hour later, and he had knocked a bottle of adviloff the counter and chewed the lid off. We're usually vigilant about not having anything he wants to chew in any place where he might grab it, so I feel awful about the mistake. It didn't look like he ate any pills, though, so I just picked everything up and threw it away. A couple hours later, he threw up his dinner, so I figured he did actually eat some of the advil and his body rejected.

Now he's at the vet with failing kidneys. They're not sure if its getting better or worse; apparently, dogs can recover from this although it's not likely. Fucking sucks. I wish I'd thought to induce him to vomit the minute I thought he might have eaten anything. This is actually the second time he's knocked a bottle of pills off the counter, but the first time it happened we were in the house with him and he showed zero interest in actually eating anything. He just wanted to chew the lid off--he sniffed the pills, decided they weren't food, and then trotted away.

Hope for a speedy recovery. It's not your fault.

Don't beat yourself up or give up yet. It is quite possible for him to be just fine, even if it is ibuprofen toxicity. If he's getting fluids and they are monitoring his condition it could be OK. They should be treating with fluids and/or potentially doing blood or plasma transfusions. However, they would only do that if they were sure that ibuprofen toxicity was what happened I think.

Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do. If cost becomes an issue there are always options like CareOne credit, fundraisers, etc.

Keep your head up!

Don't beat yourself up or give up yet. It is quite possible for him to be just fine, even if it is ibuprofen toxicity. If he's getting fluids and they are monitoring his condition it could be OK. They should be treating with fluids and/or potentially doing blood or plasma transfusions. However, they would only do that if they were sure that ibuprofen toxicity was what happened I think.

Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do. If cost becomes an issue there are always options like CareOne credit, fundraisers, etc.

Keep your head up!

It's pretty clear that it's ibuprofen toxicity. He vomited about 2 hours after the incident, and the kidney symptoms started showing up about 48 hours later. In the time in between, he showed no symptoms, so we assumed the vomiting got rid of whatever had irritated him.

He's getting fluids now and the vet is keeping him overnight. Hopefully, his blood results come back better in the morning. Apparently they're not particularly bad right now for an average dog, although they have his bloodwork from when we cured his heartworms, and his various blood levels are typically lower than an average dog's.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that it's ibuprofen toxicity. He vomited about 2 hours after the incident, and the kidney symptoms started showing up about 48 hours later. In the time in between, he showed no symptoms, so we assumed the vomiting got rid of whatever had irritated him.

He's getting fluids now and the vet is keeping him overnight. Hopefully, his blood results come back better in the morning. Apparently they're not particularly bad right now for an average dog, although they have his bloodwork from when we cured his heartworms, and his various blood levels are typically lower than an average dog's.

Cool deal. I really hope it's all OK. I'm pulling for him!

Cool deal. I really hope it's all OK. I'm pulling for him!

Thanks man. Just got a call from the vet. They had to put an IV and a catheter in him, and in the past he's been all NOPENOPENOPE about needles (the heartworm treatment was pretty traumatic), so they were worried he'd mess with everything. Turns out he's calmed down, so they're going to keep him overnight as opposed to transferring him to a vet hospital.

Kind of strange thing, though, is that his white blood cell count was high, which the vet says is unrelated. They don't think there's any infection involved, so they're pretty sure it may be due to stress/anxiety. (I didn't know a white blood cell count could raise and lower like that, btw).

oh no tucker :-(

all the vibes

this is my fault for growing out my beard again

Good news! Vet called this morning and Tucker's bloodwork is coming back to normal levels. They're going to keep him today and continue to give him fluids and monitor him, but it's sounding like we might be able to bring him home tonight.

Good news! Vet called this morning and Tucker's bloodwork is coming back to normal levels. They're going to keep him today and continue to give him fluids and monitor him, but it's sounding like we might be able to bring him home tonight.

woot woot good vibes

YES.

Awwwwwwww yeah!

So Oliver just loves to walk around with a ball/toy/stick/etc. in his mouth, so my wife got him this gag ball from a pet boutique store yesterday. Too funny.

t4u5wy.jpg

Back