• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Honestly, we're not sure at all. We thought the neighbors yard at first, but now that doesn't really fit the timeline (it happened at least a week ago)... I think it might have been when he was inside an older building on campus when puttersdeac had a meeting there one night and he tagged along, but the maintenance guys told her they don't use anything there. Not sure if that's completely believable though.

Oh yeah, guess I never gave another update, so the vet thought he was showing enough improvement to come home late this afternoon ftw. It's going to be another 4-6 weeks for complete physical recovery (he gets tired super super easily right now), and some more time after that for mental I'd guess, but he is already doing so much better than he was when we saw him yesterday.

Home and resting at last:

z96tCVkh.jpg

That dog is super cute. I hope he feels better.

Had to put my childhood dog down this week. 16 years old. Got her when I was in the 3th grade. Nothing negative here, was the absolute perfect dog to grow up with!

11258323_10153048336525547_4089019742040540225_n.jpg

170045_141996052520856_2439079_o.jpg

My dog abandons family to hang out with hot chicks on the beach.
1533711e95c71dee27e9ad4f52be3e2c.jpg

So we have three fosters at the house right now and I'm advertising a bit on here.

This is Macie and Tucker:

11146608_10153296498809330_8997062020175908554_n.jpg

They are a bonded pair for adoption through Get Along Dachshund Rescue. If you're interested, just PM me and I can get you the information on them. Here are the basics:

They are both about five years old. They are both pretty small. Tucker is about 11 pounds and Macie is about 9. (She seems even smaller than that to me.) They are definitely bonded and need to be adopted together. Macie would seriously lack for confidence without Tucker. They are both doing great here so far though.

They are fully vetted other than I need to get a microchip for Macie. They are in good health by all accounts. They were surrendered by an owner who was having to go in for major surgery this week and who has a toddler that was terrorizing Macie. Therefore, I'm not sure they would be great in a home with small children. I think a home with older kids would probably be fine. Macie is already out of her shell here, but at her owner's home she spent 90 percent of the day hiding under a bed, avoiding the kid. (I wouldn't hate on this owner either. They were really, really sad but are trying to do what's best for these dogs and they've worked really hard to keep them together, so we are doing the same.)

They both love playing with each other and with toys. Tucker is a little bit dominant so he's challenging our other male dogs, but nothing crazy. No fights so far. They bark when our dogs bark, but other than that they are pretty quiet. All in all, they behave better than our own dogs in a lot of ways!

They seem to be fully housebroken and they are crate trained and stay in a small crate together. This is obviously where they are comfortable because they choose to go there to sleep together at night.

Just let me know if you want more information!

This is our other foster, Stella:

10371392_10153280027789330_948184403297297236_n.jpg

She is SUPER sweet, but a special needs girl. Although her eyes look fine in the picture, she is totally blind. Her eyes still dilate, but they don't function. It's possible that surgery could restore her eyesight, but no guarantees. The tests are expensive, so we are leaving that up to her adopter. She is not in any pain, and she gets around our house and yard just fine. You just can't move things around.

She HATES CATS. She cannot go to a home with cats at all. She stalks our two cats incessantly. To have no sight, she is pretty good at it too. She has managed to trap our oldest cat under the dining room table twice. She removed a chunk of his fur, but he repaid her with a very bloody lip.

She can also be a little aggressive with other dogs when she first meets them, mainly because she can't see and she feels threatened. With that said, she does great with our dogs, except for Chester. She hates Chester. I think she can sense that he might be prettier than she is.

She would be best in a home as an only dog, or with another submissive dog. She is not food aggressive at all and she does love her food. She was very overweight when she came in, at 19 pounds. She is currently in the process of losing some weight. She looks better already but she's still a little chunky.

She just had bloodwork done and is healthy other than being blind. She is vetted and microchipped. Her owner surrendered her because she was blind and ran into things and he didn't want to deal with it any more. So, feel free to bash that owner...

Stella really is a beautiful older lady. She is about nine. She will take a couple of days to settle in since she can't see. She'll pace a lot and pant and act stressed but after a day or two she's fine. She just needs to learn her way around. She is available for adoption through Chapman's Dachshund Rescue and I can give you all the information on her too, if you're interested. Just PM me for any questions you want answered! (We are very honest about fosters because we want them to succeed. I'll always give you the real lowdown.)

I finally got to the point where I could open the sympathy card from the emergency vet who put Ralph to sleep. They had included his stamped paw prints. I was 100% unprepared for this. It destroyed me. I am actually glad to have them, but man, way to punch me in the gut, vet.

I finally got to the point where I could open the sympathy card from the emergency vet who put Ralph to sleep. They had included his stamped paw prints. I was 100% unprepared for this. It destroyed me. I am actually glad to have them, but man, way to punch me in the gut, vet.

Our vet was great and did this as well. They made a clay paw print before putting her to sleep and a few other small tokens as well. Would definitely recommend to anyone who has to make that decision soon and wants to be at complete peace that the process will go as smooth as possible. Ill post the information if anyone is interested.

One of my dogs is going to have to go under the knife this month for a torn ACL. Anybody had to go through this with their dog? Trying to figure out what recovery will be like for her.

One of my dogs is going to have to go under the knife this month for a torn ACL. Anybody had to go through this with their dog? Trying to figure out what recovery will be like for her.

My in-laws went through this; their dog was fairly lazy to begin with so keeping the dog from over exerting itself was the easy part. The trouble they ran into was that the dog go into the pain medicine and they had to get his stomach pumped. I want to say the medicine was flavored which may have been a reason why the dog sought it out, but it's been a few years. Good luck.

I went through this recently with our dog and overall it wasn't as rough as I thought it would be. The first couple nights were the worst with her unable to find a comfortable spot to sleep in, plus being a little tripped out on the medications. She wandered around whining most of the night. After a couple days she got used to it and we just had to help her outside to go to the bathroom, (we live in an apartment building so we always go out with her anyhow so that wasn't too much different). We had a long piece of cloth to put under her belly to help her take weight off the leg. After that it was mainly keeping in check her desire to play with the other dogs in the building. She was ready to run around much earlier than we were willing to let her. I think they feel better and think they are good to go, and letting them loose without working back up to full strength could cause them to reinjure something. She is less than a year old but pretty lazy in general so I think that helped for us, the energy level of your dog could make it a completely different story.

We bought her a soft neck pillow so she didn't have to wear one of the big plastic ones, and that worked when we weren't there to keep an eye on her.

RfNVP0Bm.jpg

Otherwise she just went without any guards, but we were careful not to let her lick to stitches/area around the surgery.

U2jif7Fl.jpg

After a few months she was better than she had been before she tore it, she wasn't much of a jumper before and now she is up and down off the bed and couches. It's possible she had a small injury before the acl totally went and after the surgery she was 100% confident to go all out.

h0PZEfTl.jpg

Recovery can be a pain in the ass. Mostly you just have to keep your dog from doing pretty much anything other than walking outside to go to the bathroom. Not sure how energetic your pup is, so that may or may not be a problem. You're probably looking at a good 6-8 weeks before you can start rehabbing and going for short walks. Could be as long as 6 months before you can resume normal doggy activities.

One other thing to consider (especially in larger dogs) is that the recovery/rehab process is slow and it puts an enormous amount of wear and tear on your dog's remaining good leg. Our Bernese Mountain Dog tore her ACL and rehabbed all the way back to full strength, only to tear the ACL in her other knee about a year later. From what I hear, that's fairly common, so be prepared for that possibility. All totaled, we spent damn near an entire year of our lives dealing with ACL injuries and the fallout from the resulting surgeries. The only real good thing to come out of it was that I got pretty buff carrying a 100-pound dog up and down the stairs multiple times a day. It's a surprisingly good workout routine, but an expensive one.

Back