• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like we'll have to put our 11-year-old Berner down later this week. We adopted her when we first moved to Portland and needed a companion for our 1-year-old Gordon Setter while my wife and I were both working crazy shifts. Hannah quickly took over our lives and became the Alpha personality in our household. Since then, she has walked a fine line between being a bitchy, barky teenager and a surly curmudgeon. But one thing's for sure — she never once wavered in her ability to be a life-sized teddy bear, relishing the opportunity to snuggle everyone she ever met. It's going to be a rough weekend here...

10400958_1047977878096_6776_n.jpg

Beautiful dog! So sorry to hear that

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like we'll have to put our 11-year-old Berner down later this week. We adopted her when we first moved to Portland and needed a companion for our 1-year-old Gordon Setter while my wife and I were both working crazy shifts. Hannah quickly took over our lives and became the Alpha personality in our household. Since then, she has walked a fine line between being a bitchy, barky teenager and a surly curmudgeon. But one thing's for sure — she never once wavered in her ability to be a life-sized teddy bear, relishing the opportunity to snuggle everyone she ever met. It's going to be a rough weekend here...

10400958_1047977878096_6776_n.jpg

So sorry to hear that about your Berner. Sounds like she has led the good life though! I know it's tough. So, so tough to make that call...

Crapshoot, I'm so sad to see that for you. She is clearly loved, and she will be missed. Big hug to you guys.

So sorry to hear that about your Berner. Sounds like she has led the good life though! I know it's tough. So, so tough to make that call...

Spent the last few nights I had with Hannah curled up on an inflatable mattress in the office sorting through 10 years of photos and other memories. It was incredibly sad but also incredibly uplifting to see all of the amazing adventures we shared together. I put together a little video slideshow of my favorite photos and thought it would be appropriate to share here amongst other pet lovers. I'm sure everyone here understands the pain of saying goodbye to a family member, furry or otherwise. Hannah was a huge part of our family and she will forever be loved and missed.

Great video Crapshoot. Hannah was a lucky pup! Looks like you had a lot of fun adventures with her... sorry for your loss. :-(

Spent the last few nights I had with Hannah curled up on an inflatable mattress in the office sorting through 10 years of photos and other memories. It was incredibly sad but also incredibly uplifting to see all of the amazing adventures we shared together. I put together a little video slideshow of my favorite photos and thought it would be appropriate to share here amongst other pet lovers. I'm sure everyone here understands the pain of saying goodbye to a family member, furry or otherwise. Hannah was a huge part of our family and she will forever be loved and missed.

Incredible video. It's so nice to see the past adventures you had with her. Glad she had such a rich life.

I just remembered I took this pic of my sleepy boy last night. Even asleep he's still a boss.

d8ba050dca78c766b4b00722025827ca.jpg

My new kitty likes walking on a leash, wearing a harness, the car, and going places. Here we are at coffee:
f0oZPJ5.jpg

Any of those things would put my boy into a murderous rage. The last time he went into his crate, three years ago, he thrashed about like a wild animal and cut his face up pretty bad. It was no bueno.

On his first night in their home, the dog crawled into Iyal’s twin bed to sleep beside him; after years of nocturnal disruptions, the entire family finally slept until the sun came up.

From two floors away, he will be alert, flicking his ears, tuning in. Sensing that Iyal is becoming distressed.

The dog then gallops up or down the stairs to find him, playfully head-butts and pushes him down to the floor and gets on top of him – essentially diffusing any impending rage the boy might have.

Helplessly pinned under Chancer, Iyal joins in with the game and begins to relax.

The big dog lies on top of the boy he loves, and seals him off from a world that his condition makes so difficult to comprehend.

I'm not crying. YOU'RE crying. Shut up.

Back