• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Plane Crash @ SFO

I know no one gives a flying (get it?) fuck, but I just want to announce that my 3 day obsession with watching crash re-enactments on youtube and reading cockpit transcripts before crashes is now over.

I now am pretty much up to speed on every major crash since the 1960s.

I know no one gives a flying (get it?) fuck, but I just want to announce that my 3 day obsession with watching crash re-enactments on youtube and reading cockpit transcripts before crashes is now over.

I now am pretty much up to speed on every major crash since the 1960s.

I did the same thing a summer or two ago after reading that Gladwell book (forget which one) where he talks about plane crashes. Its like going on a wikipedia serial killer page binge.

I did the same thing a summer or two ago after reading that Gladwell book (forget which one) where he talks about plane crashes. Its like going on a wikipedia serial killer page binge.

you want a binge, find the website that chronicles all the missing people. That's a mind fuck.

Or starting with the Fritzl Case and working your way through all the captive kidnappings

Well this isn't inappropriate at all.
Fright-214-Chicago-Sun-Times-headline.jpg

I raughed, then felt guilty.

Drove past a small plane crash that had occurred minutes before at a regional airport today. Student pilot, cabin was crushed, apparently it missed the runway by 200 feet. One died, one lived. Sad to witness.

First flight yesterday since the SFO thing. Definitely was paying more attention on landing. No problems really but our descent into Reno was all sorts of rough. Never been here before but I imagine coming over the mtns is always a little rough here.

First flight yesterday since the SFO thing. Definitely was paying more attention on landing. No problems really but our descent into Reno was all sorts of rough. Never been here before but I imagine coming over the mtns is always a little rough here.

my friend worked in a senate office, and one of their staffers used to be a pilot for Southwest, and one night at happy hour he told us that Reno is the single most difficult commercial airport landing in the country. pilots apparently need special training for Reno alone. my friend is engaged to a girl from Reno, and we've done trips out there before to go to Lake Tahoe, and I agree that it's rough as hell.

idk if this has been mentioned but take off, and especially landing are the most dangerous by far. double that in the rain and double it again if it's also at night.

once they get up to 25-32000ft or whatever not only is it just intrinsically safer, but when there is a problem they have a comparatively large margin to troubleshoot the problems and try different checklists...sometimes they can even get a boeing or airbus engineer on the radio.

i'm a seconds to disaster/mayday air crash investigations/air crash investigations/seconds to disaster/etc aficionado.

I just heard that one of the two dead passengers was struck by an emergency vehicle on the ground. Don't know yet if she was already dead but seriously WTF. Survive a shitty as plane crash and get run over by an ambulance.

I just heard that one of the two dead passengers was struck by an emergency vehicle on the ground. Don't know yet if she was already dead but seriously WTF. Survive a shitty as plane crash and get run over by an ambulance.

fire truck.

fire truck.
San-Francisco-Striker-4500.jpg_10470129.jpg

From the accounts I've read, none of the SFFD expected there to be patients lying on the runway, and most likely had tunnel vision. They expected all of the passengers to either still be on the plane or in groups that had already exited. They wouldnt let the EMS units near the scene for a few minutes while they battled the blaze for fear that it would explode. I hate to say it, but I could easily see how one person could blend in with the debris from the crash and not be seen.

Back