• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Please do not share banner company contact info with the media

Easy on the hyperbole. He's not even the worse hire currently on staff. Say what you want about the guy, but at least he had some discernible success before he got caught.

Besides we hired Obama AMIRITE JHMD?

I fit none of your criteria, and I'll defend the athletic department.

There are always exceptions, but even the "rah rah" chatter on the other board is nearly done (since you accuse this board if being out of touch). Sure, there are still plenty of old white guys in the tower who buy into the culture argument and pat Ron on the back, but that's not representative of the fan base or the future donors on which our athletic department will depend.

Ron Wellman is not Jeff [Redacted]. Jim Grobe is not Jeff [Redacted]. Neither are even close. Wellman has presided over the most successful period in the history of the athletic department. 4 of Wake's 8 NCAA championships occurred under Wellman, as well as our only NCAA individual championships (Bielik and Bloom x 2). Some argue that he didn't hire all the championship coaches, which is true, but he kept them at Wake and provided the support necessary for them to succeed at the absolute highest level.

In case you missed this thread, I'll provide some highlights:
http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...ance-Metrics-(Part-1)-UPDATE-New-Low-Achieved!

I did this a while back but made a mistake. I did the calculations as though BC, Miami, and VaTech were members for the entire 20 year period. I sincerely apologize for that mistake because it made Ron Wellman look bad... when in fact the truth was even worse. :rulz:

Here's a look at how Wake's has "contributed" to the ACC's competitiveness over the last 20 years (Ron Wellman's tenure as AD). This is Wake's actual overall athletic performance in the ACC as reflected in the Director's Cup standings.

Years Wake finished in the top third of the ACC0
Years Wake finished in the top half of the ACC3
Years Wake finished in the middle of the ACC (5th of 9)2
Years Wake finished in the bottom half of the ACC15
Years Wake finished in the bottom third of the ACC11
Years Wake finished last in the ACC5

Obviously Ron Wellman is not being judged based on Wake's performance in the Director's Cup...

I pulled the Director's Cup standings from their website. The completed results for the last 19 years are posted. This year's standings will make 20 years. This year's scores are thru June 14th with only baseball outstanding. Since Wake did not point in baseball, they will not move up in the rankings and so the 2013 rank is included in the table above.

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

Mr. Wellman has been successful at deflecting criticism for our poor performance in the Director's Cup. This is apparently accomplished by attributing the poor performance to the fact that Wake does not participate in as many sports as other schools. Not surprisingly, this excuse is only somewhat valid and is primarily just more AD "spin". Since a maximum of 20 sports (10 male & 10 female) can be used to calculate the point totals, a school that participates in more than 20 sports has more opportunities to use a better performing team in place of a lower performing team. However, the emphasis and weighting of the scoring system is on WINNING. The number of participation points awarded is minimal. A school like Wake that does NOT have winning as a priority, is never going to score well regardless of how many sports they participate in.

For the last three years 5 of 12 ACC schools have participated in less than 20 sports. GaTech & Miami had 17 sports, Wake had 18 sports, and Clemson & Florida St. had 19 sports.

School#SportsDirector's Cup 2011Director's Cup 2012Director's Cup 2013
GaTech17597274
Miami17515971
WFU18749298
Clemson19475452
Florida St19 9 511

* The table was updated to include the final 2013 Director's Cup standings on June 27, 2013. The score of 98 by Wake in 2013 is the lowest score ever for an ACC school in the Director's Cup competition.

Out of the 12 schools in the ACC, Wake has been the poorest performing for the last three years in a row. Florida State had only one more sport than Wake, but finished as one of the top schools nationally all three years. Obviously you do not have to participate in 20+ sports to score well. It is more important that you do well in the sports for which you do compete. In other words, Wake's poor scoring for the last two years has had much more to do with the fact that our Athletic Department is content to field non-competitive teams. This year we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 14 of 18 sports. Last year, we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 15 of the 18 sports in which we participated. Year before last, we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 13 of the 18 sports in which we participated.

Such a broad, pervasive, and consistent pattern of failure across so many fields of endeavor can only be attributed to decisions being made at the top. Ron Wellman is FAILING to field championship caliber athletes and teams. Given what we are seeing with the basketball program, is fielding championship caliber teams even a goal anymore? Are Wake athletes now supposed to be content with getting a "participation trophy"?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/1213accrecordbook.pdf

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Winston-Salem, NC - In less than two weeks, when the points from baseball are added to the Director's Cup competition; Wake Forest will become the lowest ranking ACC school in the history of the competition. Wake is currently 97 and that ranking ties the previous record set by GaTech 19 years ago. However, San Diego (currently ranked 106) was in the baseball tournament and appears to have earned more than enough points to move ahead of Wake in the standings.

Wake Forest's performance in the Director's Cup has been on a 5 year decline under the leadership of embattled Athletic Director Ron Wellman. (Although to be fair, five years ago he was not "embattled".) Four years ago Wake was in the bottom third of the conference with a rank of 53. Three years ago Wake was last in the conference with a rank of 74. The last two years Wake has been last in the conference with a ranking in the "90s" (92 & currently 97).

The final 2013 Director's Cup standings are in...

It's official. With a ranking of 98, Wake Forest has set a record for the worst performance ever by an ACC school in the history of the competition.

Congratulations to Ron Wellman and Nathan Hatch, as well as the Board of Trustees and other enablers who are responsible for this new standard of "historical competitiveness" at LOWF.

Last edited:
Got this shit covered.

4T1yiSY.png

so don't tell the media about:

Justin Maynard
Sales Executive
AirSign – Outdoor & Aerial Advertising
12 NW 5th place
Williston, FL 32696

No problem.

Mods, please tack this. Be sure to add (important) to the thread title.

As I stated later, it is ignorant for anyone to think they have the whole story about why he was fired. Should our AD be more transparent? maybe. But I think his first interest is protecting the university, something he was possibly doing, both with the firing, and reasoning for the firing.

Firing a guy 6 months after giving him an extension seems impulsive.

By all means, do not give the media Justin Maynard's email address. They cannot find out that it is justin@airsign.com. Not sure what kind of irresponsible ASSHOLE would leave it up on a post prior to starting a new thread asking us to not share the contact info.

Does this sum it up?

You order billboard.
Guy emails you with 24 hour notice and says, "hey, can't be done. But at least I told you instead of waiting for you to call Monday and me making up some stupid excuse."
You say, "You do realize the media is all over this, so I suggest you get a pilot... like NOW."
Guy says, "Sorry, tough shit."
Media contacts guy.
Guy is pissed.

He was warned. If I was this business man and I was one pilot short, I would drop the Geico banner and send the pilot to Winston since the media has been reporting on this. Seems like a pretty easy decision, really. Moron.

EDIT...

Justin Maynard
Sales Executive
AirSign – Outdoor & Aerial Advertising
12 NW 5th place
Williston, FL 32696

I think we should hire him for next weekend but this time flying a banner that says:

Justin Maynard Sucks a Fatty

I fit none of your criteria, and I'll defend the athletic department. From people I talk to, I think there are a lot that still defend Wellman and even more that support Grobe. There aren't many on this site, but that's because of the nature of this site - there's not much tolerance of those that write anything positive about the athletic department. Hell, every time I update the "fall sports" thread I get neg reps, and that is for just reporting results from some of our teams. I don't care about the neg reps, but it is representative of this site - not a lot of room for rational discussion, in my opinion.

Ron Wellman is not Jeff [Redacted]. Jim Grobe is not Jeff [Redacted]. Neither are even close. Wellman has presided over the most successful period in the history of the athletic department. 4 of Wake's 8 NCAA championships occurred under Wellman, as well as our only NCAA individual championships (Bielik and Bloom x 2). Some argue that he didn't hire all the championship coaches, which is true, but he kept them at Wake and provided the support necessary for them to succeed at the absolute highest level. There were calls for Vidovich to be fired before his streak of final fours, but Wellman stuck with him (he also hired Vidovich in the first place). Wellman also hired two great coaches for our revenue sports in Grobe and Prosser. Finally, to me, the most important thing Wellman did for Wake Forest athletics never gets mentioned here. He was one of the leaders that helped keep the ACC together last year. If the ACC had fallen apart, Wake would have been left in the dust. That is way more important than a couple seasons of poor performance on the field by the athletic department.

Obviously Wellman isn't perfect (I think he should not have hired [Redacted] and should have let him go after his 3rd season), but he has done a lot of incredibly good things for Wake. Jim Grobe has also done a lot of really good things for Wake, and in my opinion neither deserve a banner flying over the football stadium before a Wake football game.

no but everyone agrees a fire buzz banner is merited and would reiterate the points made in the billboard and in the newspaper and get the media talking about the actual message and its merits rather than just the people behind the message. fire bz is a lot less controversial and can be used as an in for those who want to make it about the larger AD because it does directly reflect on the AD.

Back