• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Positives

deacswin

Reaction score
I need something to help me get through the day and the weekend.

Tanner -- I thought he was VERY impressive. Started off shaky but really settled down. Threw some beautiful balls. The touchdown strike to Camp was perfect! Converted some really tough 3rd downs which was encouraging. Tanner stays in the game, and I think we win.

Offensive Line -- Tanner actually had time to throw the ball. Obviously, our run game must improve, but overall, I was encouraged with offensive line play.

Defense -- For 2/3's of the game we played really, really well. Nikita was all over the place and our improvement at linebacker is very evident. Thought our secondary played well. We definitely have speed and some swagger back there.

Pendergrass -- Limited opportunities, but made the most of them. Nice to have that combo in the backfield.

Okay, that's a start....I need to go to work. Please add more...

If you had quit watching the game at the end of the third quarter and just assumed that it had ended that way you would be really excited about the rest of the season....

I do think we have a lot to be encouraged about. It seems like a lot of progress has been made, and I said this on another thread, but in my opinion last year's team would have never been in this game...

Unfortunately we have an extremely tough schedule and seem committed to playing not to lose, so the progress we are seeing may only translate into one or two more wins than last year....

Receiving corps. I don't recall any dropped passes, and they got open. I'm chalking up the D's weak performance in the 4th quarter to lack of depth...

Wasn't able to watch the game but listened on radio. Painful loss.

Quick reaction is to say we played not to lose...

From what I could hear the game turned when the guy with 300 yards passing and 3 tds went out.

Next up is NCSU and WF is 0 and 0 in the ACC. That's about what I can muster this misty morning.

Sigh.

Wasn't able to watch the game but listened on radio. Painful loss.

Quick reaction is to say we played not to lose...

From what I could hear the game turned when the guy with 300 yards passing and 3 tds went out.

Next up is NCSU and WF is 0 and 0 in the ACC. That's about what I can muster this misty morning.

Sigh.

A surprisingly sensible and coherent post. :thumbsup:

Tanner
Givens
Campanaro
Nikita

The O-Line played pretty good I thought. There were times when I thought Tanner was gonna pitch a tent back there. Nice for a change. I'm not totally discouraged. I think this year's team has some pretty good players.
These are the 2 things that worry me the most:

1. The LACK of coaching balls.
2. Special teams play.

The rest from what I saw, did just fine. Def. gotta get that run game going. I think we have 2 VERY capable backs.

It was frightening how bad our LBs looked in the 4th quarter last night.

I hope its just a conditioning issue. They were getting pushed around.

It was frightening how bad our LBs looked in the 4th quarter last night.

I hope its just a conditioning issue. They were getting pushed around.

I think its more that we are so undersized up front. After a while you just wear down. We also stopped bring pressure in the fourth.

Tanner
Givens
Campanaro
Nikita

The O-Line played pretty good I thought. There were times when I thought Tanner was gonna pitch a tent back there. Nice for a change. I'm not totally discouraged. I think this year's team has some pretty good players.

2. Special teams play.

The rest from what I saw, did just fine. Def. gotta get that run game going. I think we have 2 VERY capable backs.

I said exactly this last night.

What we better get used to is an improved team that isn't quite well coached enough, or good enough to win without some help. Syracuse is not very good. We were better most of the game, but we weren't good enough to overcome our own weaknesses in depth, execution, special teams, and coaching. I want to be optimistic, but especially if Price is out, I am very concerned we won't win more than a game or two. We proved again last night we have to play 4 good quarters to win a game, and that's a real problem.

Tanner
Givens
Campanaro
Nikita

2. Special teams play.

Second this. He played great. How many snaps did Moseby get? Front 7 got pushed around in the 4th Q and OT.

The team looked much better than I anticipated, albeit against a terrible opponent. But we really did dominate them until the injury, and that was a pleasure to watch. We have some budding stars. That said, what's to be excited about when the kids play their hearts out, dominate the other team, and the coaches don't allow them to win?

P-Grass made the top 10 this morning with that awesome stiff arm and subsequent hurdle

Tanner looked great to me.

Offensive line performed relatively well for three-plus quarters.

Tough loss. I'd talk about special teams, but this thread is supposed to be positives taken from the game.

Tanner has a rocket arm. It was fun to watch him have a little time in the pocket and pick apart a secondary.

It is going to be fun watching him with a decent offensive line.

Tanner has more raw talent than Skinner. Build the offense around that arm and you're going places.

if tanner can be a bit more accurate on shorter passes (or maybe it's timing?) then he is dyanmite.

whitlock had 2-3 really big plays and he always brings it every down.

Back