• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible football opponent for next year

Don't we already play Presbyterian again? You can only count one I-AA win towards bowl eligibility, right?

Last edited:
With so many bowls, it does not seem to matter, but if there are more than enough bowl qualifying teams, those with a 6-6 record and one win against a FCS (1-AA) school are ahead of schools with two FCS wins. FWIW, I have heard that WF is trying to schedule a FBS opponent and not an FCS opponent. Either way, the game will be at WF.

Yeah play another FCS. If we go 6-6, we'll still get into a bowl.

Wake is trying to schedule a game but can't get one. There are 6 or 7 ACC teams in a similar predicament because prevailing opinion was that the conference would go to 9 conference games with the addition of Syracuse and Pitt.

Yeah play another FCS. If we go 6-6, we'll still get into a bowl.

Wake is trying to schedule a game but can't get one. There are 6 or 7 ACC teams in a similar predicament because prevailing opinion was that the conference would go to 9 conference games with the addition of Syracuse and Pitt.

Let's just schedule one of them in a non-con game.

ODU (117th in Sagarin) was about as good as us last year (109th). Would be pretty embarrassing if we lose to an FCS team.

ODU (117th in Sagarin) was about as good as us last year (109th). Would be pretty embarrassing if we lose to an FCS team.
I'd rather play a bad FBS team than a good FCS one. But I guess if they can't find one to schedule, we're gonna be stuck with ODU.

2013 ODU is a FCS independent, 2014 they play a Conference USA schedule

Do they not count as an FBS opponent next season? I had been under the opinion that they would, but I could be mistaken. They definitely will in 2014, but that doesn't help us next season.

Do they not count as an FBS opponent next season? I had been under the opinion that they would, but I could be mistaken. They definitely will in 2014, but that doesn't help us next season.
From what I gather, they are considered an FCS Independent next season - not eligible for any FCS awards, playoffs, etc. Next year is kind of a throwaway year for them, which is why they've scheduled so many FBS opponents. They don't officially become FBS until 2014, so they would count as an FCS opponent for us next season.

ODU is a good FCS team. They've got that program up and running well pretty quickly. I watched some of one of their games on TV and they've got a really nice stadium and will probably expand it as they go a long. If we play them, it won't be a cupcake opener.

We need more ODUs (or D1 teams with comparable talent) and less Notre Dames if we are going back to a bowl anytime soon.

Old Dominion will give us everything we can handle.

They were just as good if not better. Saw both teams in person. ODU prob would have beat us.

This makes so much sense that there's no way it could happen.

Well, rethinking that, we're looking for a home game to get to 6 for the year. I imagine our ACC cohorts are doing the same or possibly looking for a 7th home game. Also, the article says that Wake Forest is the only ACC team that has an open date that would suit ODU, so I would have to guess that means that no other ACC team has an open date that would suit us.

Would like to play VT in an non-conference game. Would be a boon to season ticket-holders regardless if they want to keep or sell their tickets. VT is close to WF; so, its convenient for their fans as well; would likely get a TV spot, and VT is beatable right now.

Back