• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Doesn’t change my mind as it’s one game but Buffalo got upset by NIU last night.

Meh, losing by 2 to #119, on the road, in conference is a blip. Buffalo should crush everyone in remaining home games and win majority of road games, coast through conference tourney and reach round of 32 for the second year in a row. Wake will finish DFL in the ACC and be lucky to reach double digit win total.

Not really. Maybe Oats.

And honestly, if we ever reach a consensus on something around here, that is usually a bad sign.

Aside from Manning needing to go, of course.

From what I can tell, Oats is the only guy who looks particulary promising in what seems like an otherswise tepid crop of midmajor coaches.

It's very hard to go undefeated in any conference. Road conference games are always a B, particularly when you're ranked in a smaller conference and everyone's gunning for you

From what I can tell, Oats is the only guy who looks particulary promising in what seems like an otherswise tepid crop of midmajor coaches.

Agreed. Like the San Fran guy but would prefer someone a little younger. Intrigued by Forbes at ETSU still as well.

Can anyone remind me of what the coaching vacancy landscape projects to be this year? Any chance WFU may be Oats' best option this offseason?

UCLA is expected to hire Musselman, leaving an opening at Nevada?

Kelsey's Winthrop team now 13-6 with a 21 point victory over UNC Asheville on Monday with a game against mighty Gardner-Webb tomorrow:p

Can anyone remind me of what the coaching vacancy landscape projects to be this year? Any chance WFU may be Oats' best option this offseason?

UCLA is expected to hire Musselman, leaving an opening at Nevada?

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

I have no idea about how good this site is, but it appears to be regularly updated.

From the ACC, I expect Jim Christian at BC to get fired along w/ Manning. I think Pastner gets more time.

Kelsey's Winthrop team now 13-6 with a 21 point victory over UNC Asheville on Monday with a game against mighty Gardner-Webb tomorrow:p

FWIW, UNC-Ashville may be the worst of all 353 D-1 teams. They are 2-18 and both their wins were over non-D-1 teams.

Don't know the back-story behind the complete collapse, but UNC-A won the Big South regular season last year went 21-13 overall (their 3rd straight 20 win season), and received an NIT invite and lost at USC in double OT in the opening round.

MTSU hired their coach, Nicholas McDevitt, and then, literally everyone except a single benchwarmer left the UNC-A program this past off-season. This year's 11 man UNC-A roster consists of 9 freshman, a transfer from Drexel and then one returning benchwarmer. Been easy money to go against them all year. State beat UNC-A by 51 to open the season, and things have actually gotten worse from there.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

I have no idea about how good this site is, but it appears to be regularly updated.

From the ACC, I expect Jim Christian at BC to get fired along w/ Manning. I think Pastner gets more time.

Looking at how things are going my best guess for the P5 offseason would be
ACC possible openings - Wake and Boston College
SEC possible opening - Vanderbilt
PAC 12 possible openings - UCLA and Washington State
Big10 possible openings - Penn St. and Minnesota
Big12 possible openings - None

I can't get invested in this thread. If manning is fired ronnie will hire some guy no one here has even considered and none of us will be excited about.

We can keep up with those schools if we want to. 3-4 million a year allocated to the basketball coach isn't going to cut down on the books available in the library.

Looking at how things are going my best guess for the P5 offseason would be
ACC possible openings - Wake and Boston College
SEC possible opening - Vanderbilt
PAC 12 possible openings - UCLA and Washington State
Big10 possible openings - Penn St. and Minnesota
Big12 possible openings - None

What about Texas A&M? That seems like it could come open... And we know they have deep pockets (and a rabid fan base for all sports).

Some other Power 6 schools that could be looking for coaches:

Rutgers could be open (although that is a Power 6 job in name only; some may be saying the same about WF).

Fran McCaffrey was definitely on the hot seat before Iowa's good start to the season. If they crash and burn badly, he could find himself back on it.

Arkansas used to be a basketball power. Mike Anderson has been underwhelming there. Not sure how much longer he lasts if they miss the tourney this year.

The Big East is a Power 6 conference. Dave Leitao's 2nd run at DePaul could end after this year, although they are 3-3 in conference right now.

Tad Boyle started off hot at Colorado replacing [] making the NCAAs 3 times in his first 4 years. They have been mediocre for awhile missing the NCAAs 4 times in the last 5 years, and they aren't making it this year either.

Finally, there are a lot of old men coaching Power 6 teams (K 71, Roy 68, Boeheim 74, Izzo 64, Leonard Hamilton 70, Rick Barnes 64, John Beilein 65, Calapari 60, Lon Kruger 66). At any point, they could call it quits which would really start the carousel spinning.

Last edited:
The Pac 12 is cruising to only receiving an auto bid to the tourney.

Should be the case, but I doubt it. The head of the selection committee is the AD at Stanford (Bernard Muir). He will take care of his conference.

What about Texas A&M? That seems like it could come open... And we know they have deep pockets (and a rabid fan base for all sports).

He made the Sweet 16 last year and lost to national runner up Michigan, so I assume that bought him at least 1 down year, but I could see that may happen. I think its less than likely though.

Back