• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Some other Power 6 schools that could be looking for coaches:

Finally, there are a lot of old men coaching Power 6 teams (K 71, Roy 68, Boeheim 74, Izzo 64, Leonard Hamilton 70, Rick Barnes 64, John Beilein 65, Calapari 60, Lon Kruger 66). At any point, they could call it quits which would really start the carousel spinning.

I don't think it would be any of those guys, but I could see Bob Huggins retiring at WVU.

Ed Cooley is a good coach. We’d be lucky to get him. He’s also a Providence guy- born and raised. He lives near me and is super involved in the community and youth b-ball. Has tons of job security. Don’t see it happening.

Ed Cooley is a good coach. We’d be lucky to get him. He’s also a Providence guy- born and raised. He lives near me and is super involved in the community and youth b-ball. Has tons of job security. Don’t see it happening.

I was going to post that Ed Cooley was too old. Then I looked him up and saw that he is less than a year older than I am. Ouch.

Looking at how things are going my best guess for the P5 offseason would be
ACC possible openings - Wake and Boston College
SEC possible opening - Vanderbilt
PAC 12 possible openings - UCLA and Washington State
Big10 possible openings - Penn St. and Minnesota
Big12 possible openings - None

Shaka could get fired if Texas doesn't make the tourney. They're right on the bubble so it's a possibility. He still hasn't won a tourney game in three years there.

I don’t know if Kelsey is the best candidate out there, but you can’t tell me he’s not the energy we need to get the fans back. He’s got Skip’s hustle which would get the students on board.

I don’t know if Kelsey is the best candidate out there, but you can’t tell me he’s not the energy we need to get the fans back. He’s got Skip’s hustle which would get the students on board.

This is why I like Kelsey.

Ha, I think this is why I don't like Kelsey. Just a little too much. He's trying hard, I guess.

You guys are dreaming, although it is kind of fun. Wellman will keep Manning at least one more year and even if he doesn't he will hire someone with head coaching "experience" like Kevin Stallings, Seth Greenburg or Steve Alford. As long as Wellman is here, we are doomed to have Ground Hog Day over and over and over again

Kelsey isn't Skip. But he's not trying to be (nor should he).

I admire anyone who does their job with the passion that Kelsey clearly has. That is an asset.

He's not at the top of my list to be our next coach, but I wouldn't bet against him having success at his next stop.

Would also note that we are well over a decade removed from Skip... The world is different now and I like how Kelsey uses social media to generate enthusiasm for the program. I think it can be an important tool.

Should be the case, but I doubt it. The head of the selection committee is the AD at Stanford (Bernard Muir). He will take care of his conference.

Kind of like the Oregon AD took care of the PAC 12 in the CFP ?

Shaka could get fired if Texas doesn't make the tourney. They're right on the bubble so it's a possibility. He still hasn't won a tourney game in three years there.

So, he's not successful in the postseason ?

I disagree sportsnut, Manning is gone after this season.

There are only a few people who have a real pulse on whether or not Manning will be with us next season. Mit is one of those people, as well as a handful of others. Unless someone has the access and balls to flat out ask one of the big time donors/BOD's, then the rest is speculative.

Everything I was hearing is that he's gone...Well, until recently when some of those narratives shifted towards him coming back a 6th season. So, while that's an admittedly big time hedge, I'm just passing along what I'm hearing.

Some big time donors and other big timers are not happy with Manning right now. 2 names to keep an eye on who will be hot names with the Wake coaching search are Wes Miller and wait for it..........Rick Pitino.

Not sure I would believe WF hiring Rick Pitino, even if I saw old Ricky on the sidelines at the Joel in a gold suit.

pitino.JPG

WF would be in the tourney in 2 years or less. Are there any Italian restaurants in Winston with private rooms in the back?

Back