• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Some big time donors and other big timers are not happy with Manning right now. 2 names to keep an eye on who will be hot names with the Wake coaching search are Wes Miller and wait for it..........Rick Pitino.

Lol.

Not sure I would believe WF hiring Rick Pitino, even if I saw old Ricky on the sidelines at the Joel in a gold suit.

pitino.JPG

WF would be in the tourney in 2 years or less. Are there any Italian restaurants in Winston with private rooms in the back?

I thought it was a Mexican restaurant, which Winston obviously has in spades...

There are some other dynamics at Wake that could help determine how much longer Manning stays at Wake.

The Wake Will Lead campaign just hit $900 million
The goal is $1 Billion by 2020. I could see Hatch announcing his retirement after attaining that goal. I could see Wellman retiring at roughly the same time. Probably end of 2019-2020 school year.

That would allow the new WFU president to select an AD. Or Wellman could stay a year past the presidential change to provide "continuity." That would put a Wellman retirement around May 2021.

I would be surprised if Wellman would want to leave the basketball programs in a down situation. Everything else in athletics is in good to excellent shape.

A new coach in spring 2019 could be given assurances that Wellman would be around for at least two seasons, with a third under (probably) an acting or interim AD. Or a brand new AD. That would get a coach hired in spring 2019 through at least spring 2022 before a new AD would be replacing for "want my own guy" schedule.

Thus a spring 2019 hire would have three years to put the program back together.

Does anyone else follow the twitter handle "Coaching Changes?" I think I must have started following it during our last search. It's pretty interesting - it seems to be a group of relatively well-connected college basketball people, and they comment on coaches and coaching positions. They seem to think Oats, Odom, and Miller are at the top of Wake's list. They are really high on Steve Forbes at ETSU - he does seem like an intriguing option (he has worked his way up from nothing). They hate Pat Kelsey - they call him a weasel, slithery, and a selfish phony.

Does anyone else follow the twitter handle "Coaching Changes?" I think I must have started following it during our last search. It's pretty interesting - it seems to be a group of relatively well-connected college basketball people, and they comment on coaches and coaching positions. They seem to think Oats, Odom, and Miller are at the top of Wake's list. They are really high on Steve Forbes at ETSU - he does seem like an intriguing option (he has worked his way up from nothing). They hate Pat Kelsey - they call him a weasel, slithery, and a selfish phony.

LOL. AD is still out here smearing Skip and Dino's legacy. Fuck off man.

I don’t know if Kelsey is the best candidate out there, but you can’t tell me he’s not the energy we need to get the fans back. He’s got Skip’s hustle which would get the students on board.

This is what we need not sure if Kelsey is the guy but we need passion, enthusiasm, excitement brought back to our basketball program with some social media savvy to reinvigorate our fan base and students. Also, please no Ryan Odom! If it is Miller or Oats, I hope they take some lessons from Kelsey and Mack and what they did with Tye Dye Nation, brilliant.

You guys are dreaming, although it is kind of fun. Wellman will keep Manning at least one more year and even if he doesn't he will hire someone with head coaching "experience" like Kevin Stallings, Seth Greenburg or Steve Alford. As long as Wellman is here, we are doomed to have Ground Hog Day over and over and over again

We have giant rats in tidal basins of sludge day. Every four hours more sludge more waste.

A rodent as respected as a ground hog would be a step up but not a return to the best of times so to speak.

LOL. AD is still out here smearing Skip and Dino's legacy. Fuck off man.

What are you talking about? Skip was absolutely fantastic and we should not have fired Dino. Firing Dino was a huge mistake, in my opinion. I also like Kelsey.

Making stuff up, which you are doing, is a really lame look. Go to the Twitter handle "coachingchanges" and read their takes on Kelsey. What I wrote was verbatim from their site. Also, stop being dumb.

I've met Kelsey a few times and like him a lot. He doesn't have an ACC caliber resume, but let's face it - we don't have an ACC caliber basketball program.

When we replace Manning, I want the best possible coach available and I am OK if that turns out to be Kelsey.

Forbes checks a lot of boxes. He clearly hustles for jobs. He even did 5 years coaching JUCO early in his career and made it to the finals twice. He finished 14-4 in conference his first three years and won 24, 27, and 25 games overall.

There are some other dynamics at Wake that could help determine how much longer Manning stays at Wake.

The Wake Will Lead campaign just hit $900 million
The goal is $1 Billion by 2020. I could see Hatch announcing his retirement after attaining that goal. I could see Wellman retiring at roughly the same time. Probably end of 2019-2020 school year.

That would allow the new WFU president to select an AD. Or Wellman could stay a year past the presidential change to provide "continuity." That would put a Wellman retirement around May 2021.

I would be surprised if Wellman would want to leave the basketball programs in a down situation. Everything else in athletics is in good to excellent shape.

A new coach in spring 2019 could be given assurances that Wellman would be around for at least two seasons, with a third under (probably) an acting or interim AD. Or a brand new AD. That would get a coach hired in spring 2019 through at least spring 2022 before a new AD would be replacing for "want my own guy" schedule.

Thus a spring 2019 hire would have three years to put the program back together.

Is this supposed to be a good thing?

Someone mentioned Forbes might have some recruiting skeletons, I thought? Maybe from working with Pearl?

This is what we need not sure if Kelsey is the guy but we need passion, enthusiasm, excitement brought back to our basketball program with some social media savvy to reinvigorate our fan base and students. Also, please no Ryan Odom! If it is Miller or Oats, I hope they take some lessons from Kelsey and Mack and what they did with Tye Dye Nation, brilliant.

Also, don't know if Kelsey is tainted at all by the Dino firing but I will be watching tonight to see how Winthrop does against Gardner Webb for comparisons sake.:eek:

Someone mentioned Forbes might have some recruiting skeletons, I thought? Maybe from working with Pearl?

I’ve never understood the idea that a current head coach has skeletons that would prevent him from being head coach at another school.

Mit Shah and other big donors have way too much invested in our bball program. Just put a boatload of money into it. You really think they want all this losing goin on on with their names on the buildings?? No i didnt think so. They will definitly have a say so in all. Shah is a very smart man and has built what he has by doin things business first. There is alot at stake with the next hire and Shah and all the big donors know this. Hence the Pitino talk, their gonna swing for the fences with this next hire.

I've long pushed for a little dirtiness, so I'm in on Forbes. Or Pitino. Let's get dirty and nasty and evil and win games.

As evidenced by the blue schools to the east of Winston, there is no real downside to having a piece of shit as a basketball coach, especially if that piece of shit wins games.

Back