• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Nobody that posts on here knows specifics of Manning’s contract.

We just have to wait and see how things unfold.

"Conservative" Ron has been happy to dish out some long-ass deals in his time, 10-year deals to both Skip and Grobe and eight for Clawson. That doesn't strike me as particularly conservative, besides going too far to keep what he already has.

As super dumb as it is, I completely believe in his ability to be duped into thinking coming in 10th in the ACC and barely making the NCAAT with the best player in the conference on the roster was some great accomplishment

To clarify my point...

I get that everything on a message board is speculation.

But when we all guess about our next coach, we will at least be proven right or wrong... And we can view the future success/failure of coaches we didn’t hire.

We’ll never know the details of Manning’s contract. Even after the fact. So arguing about the specifics seems pointless.

"Conservative" Ron has been happy to dish out some long-ass deals in his time, 10-year deals to both Skip and Grobe and eight for Clawson. That doesn't strike me as particularly conservative, besides going too far to keep what he already has.

As super dumb as it is, I completely believe in his ability to be duped into thinking coming in 10th in the ACC and barely making the NCAAT with the best player in the conference on the roster was some great accomplishment

An 8-10 year contract may not really be that simple. There could be lots of outs.

We always lament RW for supposedly lowballing guys like Stevens and maybe Shaka while also railing on him for supposedly putting in a ridiculous buyout. Doesn’t track. Not defending Wellman, just saying it would be odd if both.

Well, it's not clear if the $18M report is about just a buyout clause or not. Goodman reported that DM contract is fully guaranteed and WF would be "on the hook" for $18M if fired this season. Whatever that means... full contract payout + plus some kind of buyout clause? There is no way his contract is $3m/year, that would put him top-15 in college bb.

I don't think anyone just accepted Goodman's report without a lot of skepticism, but its the only number out there from a decent source.

We always lament RW for supposedly lowballing guys like Stevens and maybe Shaka while also railing on him for supposedly putting in a ridiculous buyout. Doesn’t track. Not defending Wellman, just saying it would be odd if both.

Difference: Shaka and Stevens are just completely unproven board speculation. We have one of the most connected national reporters providing this info in this case, and there is a track record of Ron making long-term, major commitments to coaches off what he views as wildly successful seasons

Difference: Shaka and Stevens are just completely unproven board speculation. We have one of the most connected national reporters providing this info in this case, and there is a track record of Ron making long-term, major commitments to coaches off what he views as wildly successful seasons
How dare you suggest that RJ is not a reliable source!

Here’s a theory - maybe been offered before in part. Ron extends Clawson after his third year when the program shows significant signs of life. Feeling that he’s been proven right after a successful 2017 season and off a home win over a ranked state rival, he decides the time is right to commit to Danny and do what needs to be done to make sure he stays here — believing the basketball program to be in a similar position to what football was post 2016, unfazed by the slow start

I believe the Shaka and Stevens posts a lot more than Goodman on this. I doubt he has seen the contract. As was stated earlier, there are likely contingencies to make it "fully guaranteed". I can't imagine Danny has met those targets.

I assume he meant that we won’t compete with UCLA for as many candidates as we would with UVA.

We would fall down the pecking order significantly if UCLA opens up a full on coaching carousel.

Wade is a crook. Nobody who ever coached at LSU will ever be a good fit for Wake. We may not be angels but we are no where close to LSU.

He wouldn’t steal money like Manning and [Redacted].

Nah. The SEC is too up and down, 9+ NCAA Tournament spots are there to be claimed in the ACC most years.

Still not enough of a difference for Wade to leave doe. It's a good job

I believe the Shaka and Stevens posts a lot more than Goodman on this. I doubt he has seen the contract

This is just unreal to me. I don't see how anyone can take random, anonymous posts here more credibly than probably the most connected CBB reporter there is

Back