• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

The main issue I have with Alford is that he sounds like Manning Redux regarding how he communicates with players and fans and media, but it is funny to see RJ claim he is still right in the face of incontrovertible evidence that he is wrong.

Alford is a miserable coach, y’all. We might as well just fold the program if we choose to go that route.

Alford has gone 587-298 as a coach. That is a .663 winning percentage. He has 3 losing seasons in 27 years as a head coach. Two of those were in his first year at new gigs. He has made the post season in 18 of 23 years as a head coach. He has won 11 conference championships (regular season and conference tourneys combined).

I doubt he comes to Wake and he may not be great with the media and I'm not sure he is the best fit for us - but I don't think he is an awful coach. His post season performance has kind of sucked.

After the last 10 years - we know what awful really is.

The main issue I have with Alford is that he sounds like Manning Redux regarding how he communicates with players and fans and media, but it is funny to see RJ claim he is still right in the face of incontrovertible evidence that he is wrong.

How am I "wrong" about Alford? He has grossly under performed his talent at UCLA. He is not well thought of and on the downside of his career. But to Chris and others he seems to make sense. That speaks volumes.

As to Manning, after Hatch reneged on the deal with Shaka, he made sense. He had a very successful stint at Kansas where he developed several lottery picks. His name was big. He took Tulsa to The Dance and he had local ties. Additionally, we were in a serious position for a local, generational talent who was much like Manning at a similar age. On paper, Manning gave us a great shot at Giles. The hire made sense.

After he got here, he got a solid class of Crawford, Moore and Collins. Then, the bottom dropped out. Manning proved he's a bad game coach and not a motivator.

When Hatch FUCKED Shaka, we had to make a splash. Our bball program was at its lowest point in close to half a century. Every potential coach knew it was going to take time to resurrect our program. We weren't in the basement. We were UNDER it.

Miller wasn't going to Wake. Marshall wasn't going anywhere. Mack wasn't coming to Wake. It was very unlikely that Mike White would come to the ACC other than to coach for his daddy.

Danny gave us IMMEDIATE credibility. He could get into ALL livingrooms. This was CRITICAL. It was a big bonus that he was considered if not the top big man's coach in the country, he was certainly in the Final Four.

Was it a gamble? Yep, but one we should take. We had NO idea if some of the mid-major guys could recruit with ACC teams. We also couldn't know if some of those mid-majors would end up like the guy at BC or Brian Gregory who were like deer in the headlights trying to coach in the ACC. At least Danny understands the limelight and has succeeded under the BRIGHTEST lights.

Other than orca-fat internet warriors like ChrisL, no one expected Wake to be good the last 5 years. No one thought JC would explode to the levels he did. Hell, few thought Dinos would become good at boxing out or play inside at all. Losing both, all but ensured an off season last year barring a meteoric explosion by a player. This year is just BAD LUCK. The only thing Danny has failed at was keeping Doral and Bryant from making TERRIBLE decisions.

4/3/14

There are dozens of additional posts from back then, but I thought this one was nice and succinct.

giphy.gif

4/3/14

There are dozens of additional posts from back then, but I thought this one was nice and succinct.

And you have been correct about every post you have made...why are you even still working rather than being a whale in Vegas?

White wasn't going to take our job. Neither was Mack. And I stand about Howland.

As i said even when faced with incontrovertible evidence he was wrong, rj will still claim he was right.

And you have been correct about every post you have made...why are you even still working rather than being a whale in Vegas?

White wasn't going to take our job. Neither was Mack. And I stand about Howland.

I'm wrong a lot... But I'd like to think I'm not overly abrasive in relaying my opinions, though.

You've been very outspoken about this (potential) coaching search, but when I look back at the last two I think you were just as vocal (yet extremely wrong). Therefore, it is difficult for me to put much weight into your opinions, no matter how forcefully you try to deliver them.

In terms of Howland, you are entitled to your opinion that he's been a failure at Miss St. I disagree. I wish we had that level of failure here over the last couple of years. If you were arguing that Howland would have been a poor fit here, that's fine... I could see that. But that doesn't seem like your argument... Especially when I type "Howland" and "RJKarl" into the search feature.

Also, how about this post from 4/21/14?

I think White was in play for the right offer. From what has been told, Smart was wavering.

By definition a guy whom nobody wants because he's such an asshole would not be a "good fit". I specifically said "no one wanted to work with him". How much clearer can that be about "fit".

Where did I use the word "failure"? Here's what I said, "I wouldn't call coming in 11th, 12th and 7th in his three full seasons in a mediocre conference "fantastic" by any reasonable metric."

If you looked at the core of the previous hires, I was all over Wellman for totally fucking up Dino's replacement and all over Hatch for fucking up our deal with Shaka. But why be accurate when you can take a shot?

I've being doing some research on John Brannen from Northern Kentucky. I like him, he's a good underdog selection. Was considered a top 7 assistant coach in the country, is a strong recruiter, has his team in 1st place in his league for the second year in a row, despite that he's had a big roster turnover since last year so he got back to 1st place after losing his best guys. Coaching community considers him one of the brighter young coaches in college basketball, I'd put him in my top 10 list. Still want Prohm or Oats the most, but if we have to go down the list I'm really intrigued by Brannen.

What's the true story about Shaka? Was he really coming here?

Oh shit, here we go...RJ, share your made up fantasy. But please, for the sake of the charade, go back and check your old posts to make sure that your lies and BS are consistent.

By definition a guy whom nobody wants because he's such an asshole would not be a "good fit". I specifically said "no one wanted to work with him". How much clearer can that be about "fit".

Where did I use the word "failure"? Here's what I said, "I wouldn't call coming in 11th, 12th and 7th in his three full seasons in a mediocre conference "fantastic" by any reasonable metric."

If you looked at the core of the previous hires, I was all over Wellman for totally fucking up Dino's replacement and all over Hatch for fucking up our deal with Shaka. But why be accurate when you can take a shot?

I understand that you hate Ben Howland. Of that, I am sure. "Fit" is probably a bit more nuanced than outright hatred, though... I mean, he seems to "fit" pretty well at Miss St. And he clearly "fit" at Pitt. You are certainly more familiar with the UCLA years than I am, though.

Perhaps "failure" was a bit strong. You did not use that word. I shouldn't have taken that leap.

I have looked at your opinions on previous hires. They've been pretty much universally terrible. That's accurate. That isn't a shot.

We had Shaka, but Hatch FUCKED it. The part of the deal was giving Shaka's wife a full professorship position. She is graduated from Harvard AND Northwestern. Hatch reneged on the promise at the last minute thinking Shaka would take the money anyway. The insult was too great. In addition to the fuck up with his wife, Shaka wasn't all that happy to have to come in and lose for 2-3 years, but would have tried. Hatch really FUCKED that one up.

Hatch FUCKING Shaka was ALMOST bad as the classless orca-fat internet douches like ChrisL who ATTACKED Shaka's wife for pages and pages and pages. We really do have a group of posters who have proven to be Hall of Fame douches. Wake was the dream job for Shaka. It's EVERYTHING he had wanted for years. It was the small, quality, education, a community, that he and his family could be a part of and top bball.

I've being doing some research on John Brannen from Northern Kentucky. I like him, he's a good underdog selection. Was considered a top 7 assistant coach in the country, is a strong recruiter, has his team in 1st place in his league for the second year in a row, despite that he's had a big roster turnover since last year so he got back to 1st place after losing his best guys. Coaching community considers him one of the brighter young coaches in college basketball, I'd put him in my top 10 list. Still want Prohm or Oats the most, but if we have to go down the list I'm really intrigued by Brannen.

I mentioned him previously. He has done a great job with a team fairly new to division 1.

Back