• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Recruiting to VCU is not quite the same as recruiting to Wake. It's not so much the getting the recruits into Wake. It is the amount and type of academic work expected of student-athletes at Wake.

There is also the issue of Wake policies that effectively bar enrollment of JuCo graduate student-athletes. NCAA rules say they have to be academic juniors. Wake policies on JuCo credits (not) being acceptable effectively makes them freshmen and ineligible.

Recruiting to VCU is not quite the same as recruiting to Wake. It's not so much the getting the recruits into Wake. It is the amount and type of academic work expected of student-athletes at Wake.

There is also the issue of Wake policies that effectively bar enrollment of JuCo graduate student-athletes. NCAA rules say they have to be academic juniors. Wake policies on JuCo credits (not) being acceptable effectively makes them freshmen and ineligible.

Are you suggesting recruiting at VCU is easier than Wake? How. JUCOs? Why would we want or need JUCOs in basketball.

Wake has had little issue getting top recruits even though we have sucked for almost a decade.

Imagine if we actually have a good team for a few years.

Nothing sets me off more than WF fans trying to roll out the academics excuse.

VCU starts no one that came out of a JUCO. The JUCO that gets the most minutes, Corey Douglas, went to Rice out of HS, then to JUCO, then to VCU. As a HS qualifier, WF could've recruited him, but never would and it's not because of academics. The other Mike'L Simms is their 7th man. VCU is 22-6, not because they can recruit JUCOs or because of the academic load. It's because they are well coached and they play hard.

Must spread more rep before I give more rep to Pilch. There is a 3rd juco on the roster, but he is a senior who is an end of the bench glue guy. Get good players and coach them up and then you win. Pretty damn simple.

Nothing sets me off more than WF fans trying to roll out the academics excuse.

VCU starts no one that came out of a JUCO. The JUCO that gets the most minutes, Corey Douglas, went to Rice out of HS, then to JUCO, then to VCU. As a HS qualifier, WF could've recruited him, but never would and it's not because of academics. The other Mike'L Simms is their 7th man. VCU is 22-6, not because they can recruit JUCOs or because of the academic load. It's because they are well coached and they play hard.

100%

If WFU is gong to hire another HC and staff, why not look at some Ivy League coaches who certainly have the same academic challenges, if not harder, small private colleges who get their players to play hard with good fundamentals. The basic difference is the size and athletic abilities of players in the ACC, not necessarily better players though, just gifted.

We did hire a coach from a smaller private school though.

Let’s just hire another Williams grad. They seem to work out.

If WFU is gong to hire another HC and staff, why not look at some Ivy League coaches who certainly have the same academic challenges, if not harder, small private colleges who get their players to play hard with good fundamentals. The basic difference is the size and athletic abilities of players in the ACC, not necessarily better players though, just gifted.

Ivy league coaches are rarely recruiting the 4 and 5 star guys necessary to compete for the top of the ACC. Recruiting student-athletes who are looking for full ride scholarships is different from the financial aid based on need that the Ivies give. So unless a coach at an Ivy League school has some experience at a P6 program, I would expect a significant learning curve on the recruiting side. And recruiting is a big part of the job at P6 schools.

Did anyone take a few minutes to check out Nate Oats last night? He brings the intensity for 40 minutes & Never stops coaching.
The offense is super faced paced while organized. This should be an easy decision for Wake if he is willing to take the job.

Guess WF has decided it's done f-ing around with the hoop program. Sounds like WF is ready to shell out serious cash.

i've now been reduced to hoping there is even a coaching vacancy. this thread is like a single person planning their dream wedding.

Another indication that we aren't saddled with an 8 digit buyout.

Godeacsplate is the 2019 Deman. He will have everyone thinking big names to find the job goes to some Donk like [Redacted].
If your list is accurate that certainly generates excitement, although Oats should be Plan A IMO.

It makes sense for Oats to be Plan C because Matta and Shaka will be available sooner and it’s reasonable to put them publicly ahead.

I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Miller or Turner.

It makes sense for Oats to be Plan C because Matta and Shaka will be available sooner and it’s reasonable to put them publicly ahead.

I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Miller or Turner.

Better known as Ronnie settling for Plan Q.

Back