• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Unless a team like Arizona makes a move due to the FBI investigation, I'm fairly confident we'll be the second best job available behind UCLA (and I doubt we'll be going head to head against any UCLA candidates other than Matta potentially).

My tier 1 would be Matta, Musselman, Hoiberg, and Shaka. If/once they say no, turn to Oats, then Miller.

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen if UCLA ponied up $5-6M/year if Bennett would take it.

Unless a team like Arizona makes a move due to the FBI investigation, I'm fairly confident we'll be the second best job available behind UCLA (and I doubt we'll be going head to head against any UCLA candidates other than Matta potentially).

This is what I’m thinking too. And if Zona does make a move because of the FBI stuff they’re going to be a tough spot with that unresolved and hanging over their heads. Louisville is the best example of a school who just navigated those waters and they made a really good hire with Mack, but if not for all the other shit going on they would normally be a spot to land a huge name.

I'm defs in on Hoiberg and it seems like the type of guy Currie might go for

Agree. Seems like Currie prefers an older coach that is well-experienced on a high level. When WF hired Currie over Mike Buddie, seems like that moved WF in the direction of older experienced coaches who have been around the block as opposed to young up and comers.

Hiring Buddie would have been an extension of his mentor Wellman.

Agree. Seems like Currie prefers an older coach that is well-experienced on a high level. When WF hired Currie over Mike Buddie, seems like that moved WF in the direction of older experienced coaches who have been around the block as opposed to young up and comers.

biggest issue in my mind is that Hoiberg thrived on juco transfers at Iowa State, which, for some reason, seems to be a non-starter at Wake, presumably due to the admissions office

wonder if Currie can be an advocate for juco guys irrespective of coach

Still like Nate Oats for this challenge. Fire in the belly and talent is what we need to recruit in a new HC.

Still like Nate Oats for this challenge. Fire in the belly and talent is what we need to recruit in a new HC.

Pretty amazing how we've upped our expectations. I'd still be happy with Oats. #HaulInOats

Hoiberg said in January he wants back in on coaching and would look at both college and pro options

he also said in December he'd prefer to stay in the NBA

either way, I'm happy with him as a candidate

I think - THINK - that Currie will hire a very experienced head coach. That's typically his MO. I also think it will be a surprise name that hasn't been tossed around yet. He is going to get a pretty big name I believe. Currie will nail this hire. He is an unbelievable good salesman. Best I think I have ever run across. He will use that skill and impress with this hire big time.

Right, we have to keep posting that article until people realize that Hoiberg said that. Do not want a guy who hates recruiting.

I don't care if he likes it as long as he does it well, or brings in people who do

I don't care if he likes it as long as he does it well, or brings in people who do

It is rare for someone to do well at a task he doesn't like doing at all.

Even with good assistants, the head coach has to close on many recruits.

Right, we have to keep posting that article until people realize that Hoiberg said that. Do not want a guy who hates recruiting.

I doubt many actually enjoy it. They generally accept it as a requirement to win games. Plus, it's not like the HC does the bulk of the recruiting. The assistants do that. Chill is considered a pretty good one, so it's likely a DM replacement would keep Chill as well for that reason.

Back