• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Football at Wake has never reached the heights that basketball has. ACC championships, number 1 ranking in polls, legitimate contender for national title. First pick in the NBA draft. The fans also are in an air conditioned/heated building. Not outside in the elements.

More people connect with individual basketball players. They are playing in shorts and T shirts, not a total suit of armor that covers up much of the player's individuality.

Football is outdrawing basketball now for sure. I didn't make my point clear enough. While football seems to be more on the front burner (attendance, results, positive recruiting, solid coaching) basketball will always be the flagship program at Wake Forest. That is why I said there was more anger and frustration over the basketball program than the football team with similar results. We're on the same page! We are all desperate for a home run hire whomever that may be.

Football is outdrawing basketball now for sure. I didn't make my point clear enough. While football seems to be more on the front burner (attendance, results, positive recruiting, solid coaching) basketball will always be the flagship program at Wake Forest. That is why I said there was more anger and frustration over the basketball program than the football team with similar results. We're on the same page! We are all desperate for a home run hire whomever that may be.

It was within memory of many Wake fans and supporters that Wake basketball was ranked number 1 in the nation and spent multiple weeks ranked in the polls. Football is rarely ranked. And has never reached number 1.

It was within memory of many Wake fans and supporters that Wake basketball was ranked number 1 in the nation and spent multiple weeks ranked in the polls. Football is rarely ranked. And has never reached number 1.

#1 week of January 19, 2009.

If I remember correctly, the 1971 football team was pre-season #6.

I can see the validity of your point. And I agree that football has taken the front burner away from the basketball team. But would there be as much uproar if the football team had had 9 years of this level of suckitude? I don't know...maybe it would. JMO that the level of anger and frustration wouldn't be as high as it is for basketball. Your point, however, is well taken.

There was plenty of uproar during the Caldwell era. Caldwell even had a bowl game near the end of his time. This is worse than the Caldwell era. I don’t remember this kind of apathy back then.

Orange Bowl = Final Four

Not the year Wake went. That was the first year of the BCS championship game. Several other bowls had higher ranked teams matched. Sugar Bowl - #4 vs #11; Rose Bowl #3 vs #8

Winning the Orange Bowl would not have gotten Wake one inch closer to a National title in FB. Wake was ranked 15, Louisville 6. That is more like a Sweet 16 matchup.

There was plenty of uproar during the Caldwell era. Caldwell even had a bowl game near the end of his time. This is worse than the Caldwell era. I don’t remember this kind of apathy back then.

True story. I remember the Chuck Mills days. I saw him run out onto the field after a ref during a game. Not that it mattered because he was the suckiest suck that ever sucked as a coach. He majored in 1-win seasons. Caldwell era was no fun but...we had the Duncan/Childress regime at that time. No one got bent out of shape over the football team. My contention is in agreement with all of you...football has more going for it right now but basketball will always be king.

To your first point, maybe so, but there will be negotiations and we will owe far less than $16mil...slice that in half and we will be close.

So what kind of negotiation? I assume a full buy-out would be based on no other coaching job through the end of his contract term? So I guess it would be something like "you get $6mil lump sum, you get to claim you retired, and there are no restrictions on future employment"?

Football at Wake has never reached the heights that basketball has. ACC championships, number 1 ranking in polls, legitimate contender for national title. First pick in the NBA draft. The fans also are in an air conditioned/heated building. Not outside in the elements.

More people connect with individual basketball players. They are playing in shorts and T shirts, not a total suit of armor that covers up much of the player's individuality.

Football has won the ACC Championship more recently than basketball has. Football Saturdays are an event, people plan their whole weekend around the games. Basketball games are a weeknight diversion, people go when there is nothing better to do. I miss the days when this wasn't true about basketball but it is now.

True story. I remember the Chuck Mills days. I saw him run out onto the field after a ref during a game. Not that it mattered because he was the suckiest suck that ever sucked as a coach. He majored in 1-win seasons. Caldwell era was no fun but...we had the Duncan/Childress regime at that time. No one got bent out of shape over the football team. My contention is in agreement with all of you...football has more going for it right now but basketball will always be king.

Wake has rarely had success in football and basketball at the same time. There haven't been more than 1 or 2 seasons when we have played in a bowl game and the NCAA Tourney in the same year.

Football has won the ACC Championship more recently than basketball has. Football Saturdays are an event, people plan their whole weekend around the games. Basketball games are a weeknight diversion, people go when there is nothing better to do. I miss the days when this wasn't true about basketball but it is now.

And even when they charge what you can find laying on the ground for a ticket people still don't want to go. Can't even go there for the Bojangles any more.

So what kind of negotiation? I assume a full buy-out would be based on no other coaching job through the end of his contract term? So I guess it would be something like "you get $6mil lump sum, you get to claim you retired, and there are no restrictions on future employment"?

Many times these numbers get negotiated. The reasons are not always obvious, or even made public.

John Currie understands this. He himself ended up with about 50% of what Tennessee owed him for his five year contract as AD there.

Just watched McCaffery’s Iowa Hawkeyes get pasted by Wisconsin, now Shaka Smart is on the Longhorn Weekly program. This means something !

Just watched McCaffery’s Iowa Hawkeyes get pasted by Wisconsin, now Shaka Smart is on the Longhorn Weekly program. This means something !

His team looked super weak, but he was watching from his couch due to his piss poor attitude. I’d rather hire Wes Miller than Franny.

Wake has rarely had success in football and basketball at the same time. There haven't been more than 1 or 2 seasons when we have played in a bowl game and the NCAA Tourney in the same year.

You are correct. Since I am bored I went an looked. I hope this doesn't look like a jumbled mess when I post it. If it does...sorry.

Year Football BB
1979 Tangerine Bowl(L) 12-15 / 3-9
1992 Independence (W) 21-9 / 10-6 (lost regional semi)
1999 Aloha (W) 22-14 / 7-9 (lost in 1st rd)
2002 Seattle (W) 25-6 / 13-3 (lost in 2nd rd)
2007 Orange-Jan (L) 15-16 / 5-11
2007 Meineke-Dec (W) 17-13 / 7-9
2008 EagleBank (W) 24-7 / 11-5 (lost in 1st rd)
2011 Music City (L) 13-18 / 4/12 (Bzaster)
2016 Military (W) 19-14 / 9-9 (Thanks Danny)
2017 Belk (W) 11-20 / 4-14
2018 Birmingham (W) 11-17 / 4-13 (current year’s debacle)

You are correct. Since I am bored I went an looked. I hope this doesn't look like a jumbled mess when I post it. If it does...sorry.

Year Football BB
1979 Tangerine Bowl(L) 12-15 / 3-9
1992 Independence (W) 21-9 / 10-6 (lost regional semi)
1999 Aloha (W) 22-14 / 7-9 (lost in 1st rd)
2002 Seattle (W) 25-6 / 13-3 (lost in 2nd rd)
2007 Orange-Jan (L) 15-16 / 5-11
2007 Meineke-Dec (W) 17-13 / 7-9
2008 EagleBank (W) 24-7 / 11-5 (lost in 1st rd)
2011 Music City (L) 13-18 / 4/12 (Bzaster)
2016 Military (W) 19-14 / 9-9 (Thanks Danny)
2017 Belk (W) 11-20 / 4-14
2018 Birmingham (W) 11-17 / 4-13 (current year’s debacle)

Thanks for the research. Looks like three years when both were good - Bowl appearance and win and winning overall and conference record. 1992, 2002, 2008, with a sorta for 2016 and the 9-9 conference BB record.

Back