• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Louisville)

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
1. Best game I have ever seen Devin play. I get frustrated with him sometimes, but he stayed within himself (outside of his fade away heat check from the free throw line), he defended decently, he rebounded his tail off, and most importantly for this team, he kept his composure and delivered when he was asked to deliver. Just really an all around great game for the young man. Proud of him. We need more of that.

2. I am so glad that we signed Wilbekin. It is clear he is already our most reliable guard. He has no glaring weaknesses, and that is what you need from your backcourt. You need players who can handle it, shoot it, and pass it. He is sufficient in all three, and will only get better. Really excited about his future. He has Taron Downey like career ahead of him, and that is really high praise.

3. CMM is still our biggest threat in the backcourt, and he did a great job attacking the basket.

4. The difference defensively in the first half and second half was incredible. Our rotations were much faster. It was almost as if the principles that Manning had been teaching finally clicked. I think the guys finally learned that it was ok to leave their man to rotate. Hopefully this is a trend and not an anomaly. The best way to improve quickly is to become better defensively.

5. The difference in ball handling in the first half and second half was possibly even more incredible. Once we stopped giving them the ball, we found ways to score, and ways to stop them. #4/#5 are linked together in our success, but one of the main differences in the 2nd half was we started putting the ball almost exclusively in CMM and Wilbekin's hands when it was time to dribble it up. In addition we did a much better job at hitting the middle cutter almost no matter who he was (Devin was there several times) and letting that person take 4-5 dribbles to the middle of the court. This at least brought the ball out from our basket and removed the possibility of a steal and immediate score. When Rountree returns I expect him to spend a lot of time in the middle of the press break when he is in the game as I Think that is a good role for him.

6. Madison played about as well as he can play, but he is just so limited. I really had high hopes for him with a new coach, but he is pretty much who he is at this point. He can help this team by limiting his turnovers and being a terror on the defensive end.

7. We outrebounded Louisville. This would have never happened in [Redacted]'s tenure.

8. I thought Manning outcoached Pitino on a number of areas last night. Our halftime adjustments were almost perfect. Outside of the brain fart when he played Washington at the end of the half (I'll get to that next), I think Manning coached an incredible game. It is rare to see a perfect game from a coach, but last night was pretty close.

9. The Washington sub at the end of the half was really costly. 5 points at the end of the end right there is just deadly. Was really surprised to see us come out and take control after that. I figured that the game was going to get out of hand quick with a short run by Louisville to start the half.

10. One of the most enjoyable games I have watched us play in a long time. I am sold on Manning as a solid coach. He is good, and has the upside to be great. It will be interesting to see what he can do when he can design a play to score outside of 5 feet.

11. Love the design of our 5 out offense. It takes advantage of our strengths and minimizes our weaknesses. I am not sure if that is an offense he brought over from Tulsa, or if it is newly adapted, but I Think it is the best we can do with what we have. It opens up the lane for CMM, allows Devin to use his speed and quicknesses, and forces the other bigs to guard our stretch bigs. Louisville could not figure out how to guard it last night. We shot 53% from the field, and that is because we were taking shots in the lane all night long. We had 44 points in the paint against Louisville. For comparison, Kentucky had 24 points in the paint against Louisville. That is astounding.

Devin and Mitch are ballers.

Jones actually played well, six assists and no turnovers. Didn't really notice him out there which is probably for the best to be honest.

I agree completely on Washington. He should never play and whenever he was in (most notably the minute before the under 12 timeout in both halves and the end of the half) we just fell apart. He's anemic offensively and defensively is a step slow (despite having an ability to create mismatches with his length inside). I know we have Tree out and don't really have much depth inside with Glou really more of a perimeter guy and Leonard being, well, a little bit soft, but I don't think we can afford to play Washington ever.

ETA: Louisville may have the lowest basketball IQ of any team I've ever seen. The long twos, the inability to get the ball inside at any point in the second half (maybe the game plan to have Harrell running screens and passing for most of the second half? I don't know), the handful of fouls inside where they just blatantly hacked our guys since they were a step slow. It was pretty ridiculous for a top 10 team - or any team for that matter.

Last edited:
I brought up the same Downey comparison on the game thread. Very similar attributes and on court demeaner

Oh and I don't mean this to set expectations or to say they are even close to the same player, but I see some elements of Chill in Wilbekin. With time and hard work I think he can be a stone cold assassin on the court.

Oh and I don't mean this to set expectations or to say they are even close to the same player, but I see some elements of Chill in Wilbekin. With time and hard work I think he can be a stone cold assassin on the court.

I think what you see is a competent college basketball player. He has no glaring flaws. If you look at the past 4 years of recruits they all have some sort of glaring flaw. Mainly none of our guys can shoot, but even the ones who were recruited as shooters (Ovaltine and Cav) were very limited in other aspects of their game.

Wilbekin can really shoot and has incredible poise and decision-making for a freshman. At this point he is limited as a creator and his ability to get into the lane, so we'll see how much he is able to develop that skill. The fact that it does not appear to be as a significant weakness speaks to his decision making and ability to play within himself.

JesusWelcome.jpg

Would anyone here trade Dinos for Cav back right now? I wouldn't.

10 Wilbekin,Mitchell 12-9 25.3 .425 .451 .739 1.8 1.6 8.5
00 Mitchell, Shelton 13-8 24.4 .333 .267 .645 2.8 5.0 5.2

I think we were in a much bigger need of a guy who can shoot .43/.44/.74 than the .33/.27/.65 Mr. Mitchell has put up. Good pick (so to speak) by Coach Manning.

Would anyone here trade Dinos for Cav back right now? I wouldn't.

I'm excited for Dinos. Shows alot of passion out there. His three point shot always seems to be on line and if he stays up above 30%, I want him to have the green light to shoot especially if either Web or Hudson are not in the game. We need to spread the floor and need to create some room for Devin and CMM to operate.

It definitely looks like Manning has finally gotten rid of the bad habits and instilled his coaching methods/strategies. That was probably one of the best all around games by a Wake team I've seen since Odom. It's going to be an interesting season the rest of the way.

Devin is so much better when he gets the ball face up and we clear out the lane to let him go one-on-one with his defender to the basket or when he's cutting to the basket. His back-to-the-basket game has been pretty terrible this year with the exception of the Arkansas game and maybe a couple other cupcake games. Was surprised that Pitino didn't double him when he started like 7-7 from the field. Captain Obvious, but Devin just needs to play smarter when the double teams come, and they're definitely coming, especially after last night.

ETA: Louisville may have the lowest basketball IQ of any team I've ever seen. The long twos, the inability to get the ball inside at any point in the second half (maybe the game plan to have Harrell running screens and passing for most of the second half? I don't know), the handful of fouls inside where they just blatantly hacked our guys since they were a step slow. It was pretty ridiculous for a top 10 team - or any team for that matter.

I thought this as well. They were bailed out by some clutch/miracle shooting from Jones and Rozier in those last minutes.

It definitely looks like Manning has finally gotten rid of the bad habits and instilled his coaching methods/strategies. That was probably one of the best all around games by a Wake team I've seen since Odom. It's going to be an interesting season the rest of the way.

Agreed. The Princeton game was well played, too, but I just thought it was due to competition. That's 2 good games in a row. That's a positive trend! Not used to seeing that.

I saw more promise in the sets, execution, mental toughness, sideline involvement, etc. last night than I have in a long, long time. I like where we're headed.

Danny really has a great basketball mind. Sometimes it looks like he uses the first two or three segments of a game to set up his adjustments. It's a very larry Brown thing. It catches people off guard later in games.

I think Danny is already thinking about pairing Bryant and Mitchell for long stretches. They can flipflop on D. This could actually be a small perk for us. We wold do it as a normal play after practicing every day. Many teams get mixed up if there are such switches. It could create open shots and open lanes.

I loved Danny's pre-game comments about "coming home" and the prominence of the ACC.

Devin and Mitch are ballers.

Jones actually played well, six assists and no turnovers. Didn't really notice him out there which is probably for the best to be honest.

I agree completely on Washington. He should never play and whenever he was in (most notably the minute before the under 12 timeout in both halves and the end of the half) we just fell apart. He's anemic offensively and defensively is a step slow (despite having an ability to create mismatches with his length inside). I know we have Tree out and don't really have much depth inside with Glou really more of a perimeter guy and Leonard being, well, a little bit soft, but I don't think we can afford to play Washington ever.

Tom Brookshier agrees with you about Louvul.:couch:

Good analysis by Wrangor and interesting comments by all. I'd like to see Wilbekin push the envelope. I like the way he plays to his abilities and think he may be able to be more assertive offensively and still be effective. I felt that way about Downey as well. Second half D looked good and may account for the appearance of a low BB IQ on the part of Louisville. Devin's best game. Can we duplicate the second half for a full game against Duke? That always seems to be the question following a good performance by this team. We will find out Wednesday.

Back