• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Syracuse)

Just nice to be actually able to compete again. I expect to win these close ones next season tho.

We're getting there...I'm excited again to watch a Wake Forest basketball game. Can't wait for next week when the Heels come to town. Go Deacs!!

Just nice to be actually able to compete again. I expect to win these close ones next season tho.

This. It's nice to see our boys fight again. You can tell they believe in Danny and his system. They also finally believe in each other. Can't wait to see us upset the TARHOLES next week at the Joel.

I am disappointed for the kids for the first time in a long time. They are playing really good basketball and deserve to win! Manning is clearly the right guy.

Manning is doing a good job coaching. Team is working hard. I'm pretty optimistic but we still need better talent. If Manning kills it with this next class we will be well on our way...

Pros:

Love the consistent gut-check effort last night.

While I don't think we're going to consistently scare anybody much being a threat from distance, we seem to be developing enough there to force teams to respect it.

Our defensive effort was enough complement to our offense to keep us in the game.

Really impressed with Wilbekin's effort on D...young man would appear to have some skillz there.

Free throw shooting better early, but set us back a bit in crunch time.

Cons:

Our turnovers seem to come at the most inopportune times (not that there's any real good time for a turnover).

Loves me some Dinos, but his rotations on D need some work. He failed to close on his perimeter guy several times.

We seem to get in a hurry. You don't want to have to be in half-court offensive sets all evening against Syracuse, but I have noticed, that against other teams as well, we are on the verge of being out of control on the break.

This was the first game this year that I can remember a post player abusing us like Christmas did last night. We simply could not stop him when he received the ball in the paint. Okafor didn't have near as much success as Christmas. Manning was in a tough spot in that we didn't really want to double with a guard and expose Cooney on a possible ball reversal. So he was forced to double with the other big, which just takes more time to accomplish.

This was the first game this year that I can remember a post player abusing us like Christmas did last night. We simply could not stop him when he received the ball in the paint. Okafor didn't have near as much success as Christmas. Manning was in a tough spot in that we didn't really want to double with a guard and expose Cooney on a possible ball reversal. So he was forced to double with the other big, which just takes more time to accomplish.

Didn't we get abused by the Delaware State post player, or was that Iona?

I guess you can credit Syracuse for not fouling, but never making it to the double bonus in the 2nd half or overtime, along with not fouling out either of their guys with 4 fouls, was a killer. Their bench scored 3 points and 4 of their starters played over 42 minutes.

We shot almost 75% from the line to their 65%, so while it felt like the same old free throw issues it was really drawing so few fouls in the 2nd half that killed us. And a lot of that is probably attributable to how much Devin had to sit. Would have liked to have seen us drive the ball harder when we got it in the high post in the 2nd half.

I guess you can credit Syracuse for not fouling, but never making it to the double bonus in the 2nd half or overtime, along with not fouling out either of their guys with 4 fouls, was a killer. Their bench scored 3 points and 4 of their starters played over 42 minutes.

We shot almost 75% from the line to their 65%, so while it felt like the same old free throw issues it was really drawing so few fouls in the 2nd half that killed us. And a lot of that is probably attributable to how much Devin had to sit. Would have liked to have seen us drive the ball harder when we got it in the high post in the 2nd half.

Agreed. Really, really, really wish we had taken it harder at Christmas once he got 4 fouls. Send 2-3 guys near the hoop. Overload that zone near the hoop. Force the issue. Really liked Manning's game plan but we needed to force it against Christmas more.

I really don't care at all about the record this year. The wins will come. We are playing some ball. These guys have a lot of bball in front of them and there's only one senior on this team. Continue to buy in and get better, we are on track.

True dat VaDeac... I know one thing, I was setting at home with my lady and we was both on our feet, excited thinking we might and should've beat the cuse... IT JUST FEELS GOOD TO BE COMPETITIVE AGAIN TO ME...

+1....that had to be the BIG first step....and with a hodge-poge line-up, Manning has somehow gotten this bunch to that first step.

The Dome is a VERY imposing place for visitors. We did more than just show up....BEAT CAROLINA !!!

I agree with this.

The game was a strange one all the way through. We were in it because Mitoglou was unconscious throughout most of the game; despite that, its not like we felt comfortable running sets designed to get him looks. That makes sense, given that his shooting was bound to regress to the mean. But the rest of our offense (sans Miller-McIntyre on the break) was very disjointed. We had the right ideas, but just not the ability to execute.

This game could really have used Bryant Crawford, John Collins, and Doral Moore.

Brandon Chilldress wouldn't have hurt either.

The first possession after Christmas committed his 4th foul, we entered the post via the wing to Devin. He was matched up against Christmas. Cuse immediately collapsed to protect Christmas, and Devin was able to take one dribble and make a nice baseline pass to Dinos in the corner for an open three pointer. I would have loved to see us continue to hit that, but Cuse makes it tough to enter the post from the wing. It seemed our best avenue for penetration was at the high post, but we were having a lot of trouble converting from the elbow. I remember Leonard hitting one open look from there, but we had several great opportunities in which we either turned the ball over or missed an open look from 12-15 feet. I think that is one area we can certainly improve upon against the zone, and hopefully have better results next time.

But before we play them again, we have to figure out how to double team Christmas if he receives the ball inside of 8 feet. It was a tough proposition, because we really don't have the ability to front him. He is too tall and athletic and they can throw over the top since we really can't use the weak side guard to help when Cooney is on the floor. Boeheim does a great job of maneuvering Cooney to the opposite side which really frees up Christmas. Its almost as though Boeheim is a good coach or something.

There was a ton of passing around the perimeter without enough screens and movement down low. The team seemed prepared to run a halfcourt offense against the zone but didn't always execute very well.

Codi had a great game last night, and I disagree with others who say it shouldn't have been him with the ball in his hands with 10 to go. Fouling him worked, obviously, but if that wasn't Cuse's strategy, he was the guy I wanted attacking the basket, the only guy seemingly going hard at Christmas. I know Wilbekin is the better FT shooter and shooter in general, but he wasn't having a great shooting night; I would have rather had Dinos or Crab taking a three if it came to that, or sticking with CMM on the dribble drive. Fouling Codi did turn out to be the right decision though.

After the one bad Dinos turnover where he caught the ball in the corner and the zone collapsed on him, he still found his spot in the corner, but did a great job passing out of it or taking the shot with his astoundingly quick release. I love it when he's in the short corner and catches and shoots in basically the same motion. We can beat teams with that play. Also, awesome cameo by the HOT HAND last night.

I liked Greg sitting around the free throw line and taking that quick jumper when we could get it in to him. I feel like that's a great spot for him against the zone, and it allowed him some good opportunities to go up for offensive rebounds, though he only caught 2 or 3.

Madison's role has steadily decreased, but he is making much more effective use of his minutes on both ends. He has active hands defensively and is turning the ball over less and attacking the basket more. He didn't settle for bad jump shots or put our guys in tough spots with dumb passes.

I want Crab to play a more active role in the offense. Not force shots or anything, but with his relative length, he needs to be the guy that helps us spread the floor, set ball screens, and generally use his length. The big men have been the ones to step up the past few games (I love the few minutes Washington has provided with his shot blocking) and Manning is showing his chops with development of Devin and Dinos, but we need our guards to continue to get better too.

There was a ton of passing around the perimeter without enough screens and movement down low. The team seemed prepared to run a halfcourt offense against the zone but didn't always execute very well.

Codi had a great game last night, and I disagree with others who say it shouldn't have been him with the ball in his hands with 10 to go. Fouling him worked, obviously, but if that wasn't Cuse's strategy, he was the guy I wanted attacking the basket, the only guy seemingly going hard at Christmas. I know Wilbekin is the better FT shooter and shooter in general, but he wasn't having a great shooting night; I would have rather had Dinos or Crab taking a three if it came to that, or sticking with CMM on the dribble drive. Fouling Codi did turn out to be the right decision though.

After the one bad Dinos turnover where he caught the ball in the corner and the zone collapsed on him, he still found his spot in the corner, but did a great job passing out of it or taking the shot with his astoundingly quick release. I love it when he's in the short corner and catches and shoots in basically the same motion. We can beat teams with that play. Also, awesome cameo by the HOT HAND last night.

I liked Greg sitting around the free throw line and taking that quick jumper when we could get it in to him. I feel like that's a great spot for him against the zone, and it allowed him some good opportunities to go up for offensive rebounds, though he only caught 2 or 3.

Madison's role has steadily decreased, but he is making much more effective use of his minutes on both ends. He has active hands defensively and is turning the ball over less and attacking the basket more. He didn't settle for bad jump shots or put our guys in tough spots with dumb passes.

I want Crab to play a more active role in the offense. Not force shots or anything, but with his relative length, he needs to be the guy that helps us spread the floor, set ball screens, and generally use his length. The big men have been the ones to step up the past few games (I love the few minutes Washington has provided with his shot blocking) and Manning is showing his chops with development of Devin and Dinos, but we need our guards to continue to get better too.

Agree 100% with the bolded. He can make that shot, and he can attack the basket. As he gains more confidence and gets stronger he is going to be a zone killer. He also rebounds well on the offensive glass (don't remember him getting any last night, but down the road I want him close to the basket when the shot goes up because he has great rebounding instincts).

Yeah, I think at one point we went from Hudson to McClinton at the high post. Hudson had back-to-back turnovers, McClinton came in and barely missed a free-throw jumper then made a nice pass to Devin who thought he was shooting for another turnover. Leonard hit one elbow shot earlier but then he fumbled an easy pass at the high post that really sealed the loss. Our best pressure on Christmas came from Codi and Madison driving to the bucket, but we didn't do it enough prior to the overtime frame where we were constantly playing from behind.

I think McClinton can excel at that spot once he has a little more confidence. He has one of the nicest mid-range jumpers on the team. Just needs to trust it.

This. It's nice to see our boys fight again. You can tell they believe in Danny and his system. They also finally believe in each other. Can't wait to see us upset the TARHOLES next week at the Joel.

Back