• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Syracuse)

"That injury, I watched it on TV the other day and I spoke to him after the game," Manning said. "I told him it's only a matter of time with that injury. Go in, do your rehab every day and you'll be back on the court in no time."

Wow, the next thing you know Manning will be using the internet. :)

Codi is shooting 58% from the line and 28% from behind the arc this season. Very one-dimensional with 10 seconds left. I think that is all anyone is saying. If Wilbekin got the ball then people would say we shouldn't have given to a guy having an off night. This just speaks to the hand DM is working with and why we need a "go to" guy who shoots better than CMM.

It's just a bad situation to have such a poor free throw shooter with the ball at the end of the game, but CMM was probably still the best person to have the ball in that situation.

I'll add a few more shooting stats to CMM's resume:
23.1% FG on all jump shots
25% FG on all shots off of the dribble
18.8% FG on all mid-range jumpers

CMM is still probably the best person to have the ball in that situation, but I really hope that this is not the case next season.

ETA: Those percentages come from 2014-2015.

Last edited:
Where are the numbers from?

Where are the numbers from?

They come from Synergy.

For reference, here are Codi's numbers as a sophomore:
23.2% FG on all jump shots
24.1% FG on all shots off of the dribble
25% FG on all mid-range jumpers

Codi just cannot shoot. At all. Anywhere.

Is he any better in the paint than comparable guards?

Is he any better in the paint than comparable guards?

He is right around average overall, but probably a bit below average in the ACC. But here is how Codi's 50% stacks up against Grant (69.6%), Rozier (63.9%), Brogdon (48.3%), Paige (56.5%), Barber (62.5%), Hanlan (61.9%), Kasey Hill (50%), Kendall Anthony (60%), Tyus Jones (71.4% - never goes to the basket, though), Quinn Cook (62.3%), Rathan-Mayes (66.7%), and Rodriguez (30%).

I went to the game. In my area, very townie centric crowd, at least I hope they weren't alums, for SU's sake. Wake Forest was certainly a mystery to them, as a team, as a conference rival and as a school. Their fans weren't threatening, but a tad bit hostile. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I'm guessing it came across on tv that they were fairly passive but could get loud during big momentum swings.

After 4 years of emotional numbness, it was good to actually feel crestfallen after a loss. I'm looking forward to the jubilation of a big win.

Wrapping up with miscellany - it was freakin' cold in Syracuse. The high was like, 2F. Also, Dinosaur BBQ gets considerable hype. I don't think it quite deserves that hype but if you get a hankerin' for some q, you could do worse.

I like this team, I like their energy.

I like that they're coached by a guy who loves basketball and is so competitive and confident in his basketball IQ and coaching abilities that he took a HUGE rebuilding job at a school in the toughest basketball conference in the country when he really doesn't have to work. He could've just stayed safe at Kansas or Tulsa.

We are going to be more than a pain in the ass in the near future...

They come from Synergy.

For reference, here are Codi's numbers as a sophomore:
23.2% FG on all jump shots
24.1% FG on all shots off of the dribble
25% FG on all mid-range jumpers

Codi just cannot shoot. At all. Anywhere.

His numbers on shots from 25-40 feet and beyond were pretty good on Tuesday. So he either needs to take it to the rim (which he should be doing 100% of the time anyway; some of his drives/finishes at the room Tuesday were impressive) or back out near midcourt to shoot.

I'm hoping for a weekend game against the 'Cuse next year (or do we only play them once so next year's game will be at the Joel? I hate the new ACC.) Anyway, the hope is that whenever we play Syracuse again in Syracuse that the game is on Saturday or Sunday. We have a little house on Skaneateles Lake, which is only about a half hour from the Carrier Dome, but we can only make it there on weekends so a Tuesday night game is less than ideal.

If the next game at Syracuse is on a weekend, maybe we can try to get up a group of Wake fans and order tickets in a block or something.

I understand what you mean about Wake being a mystery to people up here. We went to a football game at BC not too long after they joined the league and the BC fans had no clue about us. They were asking things like "Is Wake Forest a town in North Carolina or in South Carolina? Is it close to the ocean?" Really just no clue at all.

I went to the game. In my area, very townie centric crowd, at least I hope they weren't alums, for SU's sake. Wake Forest was certainly a mystery to them, as a team, as a conference rival and as a school. Their fans weren't threatening, but a tad bit hostile. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I'm guessing it came across on tv that they were fairly passive but could get loud during big momentum swings.

After 4 years of emotional numbness, it was good to actually feel crestfallen after a loss. I'm looking forward to the jubilation of a big win.

Wrapping up with miscellany - it was freakin' cold in Syracuse. The high was like, 2F. Also, Dinosaur BBQ gets considerable hype. I don't think it quite deserves that hype but if you get a hankerin' for some q, you could do worse.

I like this team, I like their energy.

I like that they're coached by a guy who loves basketball and is so competitive and confident in his basketball IQ and coaching abilities that he took a HUGE rebuilding job at a school in the toughest basketball conference in the country when he really doesn't have to work. He could've just stayed safe at Kansas or Tulsa.

We are going to be more than a pain in the ass in the near future...

Four years of Wellman's Bzz leave me reluctant to believe in anything, but I'm watching again.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, just thought it was a very nice gesture at a tough time. Manning is a class act.

Wake Forest coach Danny Manning had words of encouragement for injured Chris McCullough

January 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Syracuse, N.Y. — His team had just lost in overtime at Syracuse in a frantic back-and-forth game, but Wake Forest coach Danny Manning said in the aftermath that he still took time to speak with one SU player who had made no impact.

Manning, who had followed McCullough throughout his AAU career, offered the freshman star some encouragement about dealing with the torn right ACL that will sideline him the rest of this season,

"That injury, I watched it on TV the other day and I spoke to him after the game," Manning said. "I told him it's only a matter of time with that injury. Go in, do your rehab every day and you'll be back on the court in no time."

As far as basketball strategy, Manning said McCullough's absence didn't alter Wake Forest's plan of attack. The Demon Deacons wanted to run so they did, regardless of SU's depth issues. They wanted to make Rakeem Christmas work on defense so they went inside, regardless of the inexperience behind him.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/01/wake_forest_coach_danny_manning_had_words_of_encouragement_for_injured_chris_mcc.html

The only sad part is that we didn't get in enough once he got 4 fouls. I realize there was the one play where he let Codi have a layup. Another play Codi slid right past him.

Back