• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Syracuse)

Codi had a great game last night, and I disagree with others who say it shouldn't have been him with the ball in his hands with 10 to go. Fouling him worked, obviously, but if that wasn't Cuse's strategy, he was the guy I wanted attacking the basket, the only guy seemingly going hard at Christmas. I know Wilbekin is the better FT shooter and shooter in general, but he wasn't having a great shooting night; I would have rather had Dinos or Crab taking a three if it came to that, or sticking with CMM on the dribble drive. Fouling Codi did turn out to be the right decision though.

Codi is shooting 58% from the line and 28% from behind the arc this season. Very one-dimensional with 10 seconds left. I think that is all anyone is saying. If Wilbekin got the ball then people would say we shouldn't have given to a guy having an off night. This just speaks to the hand DM is working with and why we need a "go to" guy who shoots better than CMM.

It's just a bad situation to have such a poor free throw shooter with the ball at the end of the game, but CMM was probably still the best person to have the ball in that situation.

Last edited:
I didn't see the 1st half. Why didn't Washington get some minutes guarding Christmas in the 2nd half?

Agreed. Really, really, really wish we had taken it harder at Christmas once he got 4 fouls. Send 2-3 guys near the hoop. Overload that zone near the hoop. Force the issue. Really liked Manning's game plan but we needed to force it against Christmas more.

Christmas played really smart on D in the OT. Codi took it right to him on a play or two and Christmas just back-off and let him have the lay-up. I guess Codi could have tried to initiate the contact (risking on offensive foul call), but I am not sure if it would have been better the get the contact, possibly miss the shot and go to the line, or to just ensure getting the points on the board.

He probably would have fouled out in a hot minute.

ETA: in response to why Washington didn't get the Christmas assignment.

Interesting analysis. It appears the Deacs have learned how to be competitive against quality opposition. Learning how to finish and win remains a lesson. Given our offensive shortcomings, end game defense must improve. We have led at the 5 minute mark in the last four games but have been outscored 48-28 in our defeats. We outscored GT 13-9 in our victory. Hold the opposition to 9 points in all four and we win all four. This team won't win many end game shootouts. Knowing you must shut down the opposition and being able and willing to do so is the solution.

Going 3-3 in that stretch would be disappointing. Benchmark would be 4/6. 5/6 would be awesome.

You've won ONE game in the ACC this year and after a streak of ONE moral victory you expect to win four of six? No wonder you collar poppin' dandies are known worldwide for your misplaced sense of entitlement.

Tiers my friend. TIERS.

Add me to the list that's ready to see some wins over these hard fault losses. With that said, we're getting better just need to do the little things win ie make free throws and get rebounds late in games especially.

Cuse fan here: Wake Forest is going to be a pain in the ass. LOL welcome back to High Major Hoops.

Manning is a keeper. Can we borrow that Greek Guy this year...we promise to return him in April.

Does anyone know the story on Mitoglou? Like how Manning found him or came into contact with him? Seems like this kid came out of nowhere.

Does anyone know the story on Mitoglou? Like how Manning found him or came into contact with him? Seems like this kid came out of nowhere.

Robert O'Kelley went to Greece to take a cruise of the Greek Isles. He did a little sight-seeing before the cruise and wanted to get in a game of hoops for some exercise. Dinos played in the game and was pretty good. Dinos was relatively new to basketball as he used to be a Greco-Roman wrestler but his wrestling studio was destroyed in an earthquake. Anyway, O'Kelley contacted Manning to let him know and the rest is history.

He was an Olympic hopeful Greco-Roman wrestler. We almost didn't take him as there were questions as to how much money he'd donate to the school in future years.

Codi is shooting 58% from the line and 28% from behind the arc this season. Very one-dimensional with 10 seconds left. I think that is all anyone is saying. If Wilbekin got the ball then people would say we shouldn't have given to a guy having an off night. This just speaks to the hand DM is working with and why we need a "go to" guy who shoots better than CMM.

It's just a bad situation to have such a poor free throw shooter with the ball at the end of the game, but CMM was probably still the best person to have the ball in that situation.

Exactly. All of our players are pretty limited, even our starters/leaders. Any of our players have significant weak points and a good coach/team will exploit that, as happened. Manning seems to be doing a rather good job of positioning guys to their strengths (or relative strengths). I'm fine with letting Wilbekin cut his teeth as a Frosh playing in a tight end-game on the road as an investment, but I don't think you can criticize Manning much for putting the ball in the hands of our most experienced lead guard when the pressure is on.

Robert O'Kelley went to Greece to take a cruise of the Greek Isles. He did a little sight-seeing before the cruise and wanted to get in a game of hoops for some exercise. Dinos played in the game and was pretty good. Dinos was relatively new to basketball as he used to be a Greco-Roman wrestler but his wrestling studio was destroyed in an earthquake. Anyway, O'Kelley contacted Manning to let him know and the rest is history.

Masterpiece

Don't know about Brant pulling for Cuse last night as I had no audio. Have never noticed his attraction for the Holes but can't dispute it. What I do know is that whether he is calling football or particularly basketball he is a HUGE Maryland homer. Somewhat understandable since that's where he went to school but he has no self control for his UMD love affair. Always gives you extra tidbits on their players that would only be appropriate if he was calling the game as part of the UMD announcing team. Doesn't seem to get that he may be calling an MD game but he's doing so on the ACC Network. Oh well, guess we won't have to worry about that anymore..........
Brant also is a poorly veiled Carolina fan. Listen to him on one of their games. "Here come the Tarheels" comes out a little too giddy. Beyond that, he does indeed suck donkey ass. How about the Leonard missed 3 where he said "not sure you want him taking that shot, he only shoots 33% from out there," which Bonner corrected him saying that isn't that bad. What a moron.

The fact that we are on the way up makes me care about other ACC games (watching GT/ND right now). Its almost like old days trying to see who else we can beat. Last year(s) I didn't care to even watch anything other than Duke/Holes.

Was just watching the highlights about Dinos. He made a lot of shots, but you can tell he was very well coached to continually be in the right position (coupled with a quick release and he doesn't lower the ball before he shoots.

Especially liked one break where Codi brought it up and Crab pointed to where Dinos should go....pass to crab to Dinos for 3.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, just thought it was a very nice gesture at a tough time. Manning is a class act.

Wake Forest coach Danny Manning had words of encouragement for injured Chris McCullough

January 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Syracuse, N.Y. — His team had just lost in overtime at Syracuse in a frantic back-and-forth game, but Wake Forest coach Danny Manning said in the aftermath that he still took time to speak with one SU player who had made no impact.

Manning, who had followed McCullough throughout his AAU career, offered the freshman star some encouragement about dealing with the torn right ACL that will sideline him the rest of this season,

"That injury, I watched it on TV the other day and I spoke to him after the game," Manning said. "I told him it's only a matter of time with that injury. Go in, do your rehab every day and you'll be back on the court in no time."

As far as basketball strategy, Manning said McCullough's absence didn't alter Wake Forest's plan of attack. The Demon Deacons wanted to run so they did, regardless of SU's depth issues. They wanted to make Rakeem Christmas work on defense so they went inside, regardless of the inexperience behind him.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/01/wake_forest_coach_danny_manning_had_words_of_encouragement_for_injured_chris_mcc.html

Thanks Jim. Danny certainly knows a thing or two about ACLs. Good to read.

Back