• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Predicted player attrition for 2016

With our 3 shooters coming in next year , I expect 2 of MW, RW, CH, and GM to leave. GM actually played well last night.

With our 3 shooters coming in next year , I expect 2 of MW, RW, CH, and GM to leave. GM actually played well last night.

GM did play well last night. He was the only guy that played decent defense on MGH.

Obviously it depends on who leaves. Losing Cavanaugh hurt the team - he's averaging 16 pts, 7.5 rebs and shooting 51%, 39% from 3, 85% from the line. Losing Chase Fisher hurt - he's averaging over 18 ppg. Losing Moto hurt - he's averaging 14 pts and 8 rbs. George Washington and BYU are better than Wake, and Towson is similar.

Fischer wasn't athletic enough to play in the ACC. He couldn't get his shot off or defend. Cavenaugh was skilled but shot a much lower 3 point percentage for us and played well below the rim. Both are better off in mid major conferences.

Yes, but this same argument was made in previous years - that it wouldn't hurt for some to transfer because we were lacking in talent - but it did hurt because key players transferred. Off the current team I think every scholarship player has shown some potential, so I really wouldn't want to lose any of them. Certainly some would hurt more than others, as I definitely don't want to lose the freshmen or Dinos.

If we don't upgrade talent over what the current players have shown themselves capable under the current coaching regime, we won't get much better, period. Outside of a coaching change (either here or by transfer) or conference change, it's highly unlikely any of our current sophomores or juniors are going to make some sort of magical leap in ability. The fact that they've shown "some potential" should be weighed against the fact that said potential was shown on a historically awful team surrounded by players who are equally as untalented as themselves.

I don't believe Cav, Moto and Fisher would be having the seasons they are having if they had stayed at Wake.

Why? We are extremely talent deficient. Having no scholarships for 2017 is the worst possible scenario for our program.

I said I hope everyone returns next year, not that everyone one our team stays all 4 years and graduates. Players will transfer and we will have scholarships for 2017.

I don't believe Cav, Moto and Fisher would be having the seasons they are having if they had stayed at Wake.

No, of course not. Things don't happen in a vacuum. But they're all better than the sophomores and juniors who replaced them. And none of the guys who replaced them are going to transfer out and average 17 points a game.

I said I hope everyone returns next year, not that everyone one our team stays all 4 years and graduates. Players will transfer and we will have scholarships for 2017.

You need the guys to leave now. For one thing if the sophomores stay and become juniors, they'll probably never leave. Also we'd prefer to know in advance that we actually have an opening for 2017. If we're full all year next year, we'll be in a major bind with recruits.

Only thing that may help is getting GMC to go ahead and commit to leaving after next year, which seems plausible and would be a guaranteed 2017 scholly

GMC seems to be pretty unlikely given that he can graduate and still have a year left after next year. So assuming he stays and 2 of RW, MW, and CH leave--then that's not a good sign for our program. It just puts too much pressure on the freshmen (Washington and Childress) to come in and contribute from day one. I think they're both going to be terrific players and there's a chance that Childress passes Wilbekin and Washington passes RW/CH on the depth chart next year. However, it's nice to actually have these competitions have different options on who to play.

All I'm saying is that we will be a better team next year if everyone returns than if a few guys transfer and we roll out with 10 scholaarship players. No difference-making grad transfer is going to come here.

You need the guys to leave now. For one thing if the sophomores stay and become juniors, they'll probably never leave. Also we'd prefer to know in advance that we actually have an opening for 2017. If we're full all year next year, we'll be in a major bind with recruits.

Only thing that may help is getting GMC to go ahead and commit to leaving after next year, which seems plausible and would be a guaranteed 2017 scholly

That's just false. Manning got Andre Washington to freaking redshirt his senior year. It's not that hard to tell a player that he won't get any PT next year and then said player will most likely leave.

Chase Fischer would have already graduated if he didn't transfer. Plus he has shot 205 3s this year hitting at a lower percentage than Crawford is during his freshman year or much lower than Woods shot last year during his freshman year. Wake currently sucks, but it would not be any better if we kept Fischer to shoot 250 3s.

If Crawford & Woods are the starting guards next season, it has the potential to be one of the best shooting guard combos Wake has had in quite sometime.

GMC seems to be pretty unlikely given that he can graduate and still have a year left after next year. So assuming he stays and 2 of RW, MW, and CH leave--then that's not a good sign for our program. It just puts too much pressure on the freshmen (Washington and Childress) to come in and contribute from day one. I think they're both going to be terrific players and there's a chance that Childress passes Wilbekin and Washington passes RW/CH on the depth chart next year. However, it's nice to actually have these competitions have different options on who to play.

All I'm saying is that we will be a better team next year if everyone returns than if a few guys transfer and we roll out with 10 scholaarship players. No difference-making grad transfer is going to come here.

What is clear is that Rondale Watson and Richard Washington cannot be on the team together, b/c I'll have no idea who RW refers to.

Manning has some sort of blind loyalty to Wilbekin. There's no reason he should be starting and there is not a doubt in my mind he will be here next year. I hope we keep Dinos just so we have more than 3 big guys on the team, Crab has improved the last couple games after realizing how great an asset his size is and using it to drive frequently (though still not enough), GMC will not leave after this year he will after next year and play a grad year somewhere, Rondale I honestly have no idea (he's been a nice surprise but he still isn't really a threat on the offensive side at all outside of hustle offensive rebounds). I'm guessing Woods will take a lot of minutes from Wilbekin next year, Childress will likely get a lot of minutes because he is basically an extremely athletic and more talented for of Wilbekin (better shooter, better ball handler, can create for himself, athletic enough to play defense). I don't see Donovan Mitchell getting much time next year but I do thin Washington will end up getting good PT toward the middle of the season due to his great shot and length.
Only thing I know for sure is that we WILL have open scholarships for 2017. I have no doubts that we will.

Leaving out point guards and our front court, name all of our guards shooting over 25% from deep this year.

If you said Mitchel Wilbekin is the only one, you'd both be right and have your answer as to why Manning has "loyalty" to him.

As limited as he may be, he simply has to play.

It has not been a good year for Hudson, and though he frustrates the hell out of me sometimes, I still 100% want him back. Him and Crawford certainly make some bone headed plays, but I like their killer instincts. Both still want the ball in tough spots, and both are capable of making the big time, momentum swinging plays.

Contrary to what some people think, energy and intensity isn't just a trait all people have. More times than not it's something created by making big plays. If nobody was there to toss LD his ally oops, or to score while he embraced the role of lock down defender, then who knows if we see the energy we saw out of him. We need playmakers, and Hudson certainly has the potential to be one. There is plenty of time for him to smooth the edges and be a big time player for us the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Leaving out point guards and our front court, name all of our guards shooting over 25% from deep this year.

If you said Mitchel Wilbekin is the only one, you'd both be right and have your answer as to why Manning has "loyalty" to him.

As limited as he may be, he simply has to play.

So basically we're comparing him to rondale and Hudson? Personally, I don't think Wilbekin scores enough to make up for his lack of athleticism and defense. Therefore, I would assume that he will see his minutes go down significantly with the arrival of Brandon Childress and the ability of Keyshawn Woods. Washington and Hudson will likely hold down the 3 guard/SF position next year as well so I don't see a large amount of minutes for Wilbekin next year.

Who are the 3 shooters we are bringing in next year? Is that counting the UNCC transfer?

Who are the 3 shooters we are bringing in next year? Is that counting the UNCC transfer?

Uncc transfer, Brandon Childress, and Richard Washington. Woods shot 48.8% from three as a freshman at UNCC.

This isn't what people want to hear, but based on recent history, you can all but guarantee that one of the three freshman will leave. I'm not saying that any of them will leave after this season, but when was the last time we had a recruiting class without at least one transfer?

A little research says the last non-transfer class was Teague/Johnson/Clark in 07-08, though of course two of them left for the NBA after two years. So technically, the 2004 class of one Cameron Stanley was the last time we had a class without transfers.

Back