• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Practice Reports

Not much new to report. Wolford again was the first to get reps with the 1st team offense when they went to 7 on 7/11 on 11 portions of practice. He made some decent passes, but also had some questionable ones. Not like into triple coverage, but he just missed the throw. Cameron has been more under control the past three days than he has been. Sunday's scrimmage should tell us a lot about the QB race. I also wouldn't shocked to see Sousa change positions again. But that last part is just speculation, as he is still taking some reps at QB.
So in this case smith would be our #3 guy, but would redshirt if at all possible?

Hard to tell. I would like to move Sousa to another position with his athleticism if at all possible.

I would say that Smith red shirts and Sousa is used as the 3rd string/emergency QB while hopefully finding a new position.

I wouldn't mind keeping Souza at QB and bringing him on goalline and 3rd/4th and short plays. Kid can push the pile and hopefully can hit a wide open receiver on play action.

Any chance we could use Souza similar to how Duke used their second string guy last year? He came in on goal line and running situations. I'd like to see Souza used like that.

Not a bad shout. Connette was 6'2"/225, Sousa 6'3"/220

Not a bad shout. Connette was 6'2"/225, Sousa 6'3"/220

FWIW, Connette transferred from Duke to Fresno State this year. He is immediately eligible, and may be the Fresno starting QB this year.

FWIW, Connette transferred from Duke to Fresno State this year. He is immediately eligible, and may be the Fresno starting QB this year.

Yeah I believe his mother had brain cancer and he got a hardship waiver to be closer to home.

I'm surprised to hear Cameron is playing pretty well. Was he thinking too much in the spring? The reports were he was awful.

I'm surprised to hear Cameron is playing pretty well. Was he thinking too much in the spring? The reports were he was awful.

Good news.
We need 2 solid QBs.
Think the competition may be good for them

Wait.........Lamot ran the 110 hurdles in HS. Now he's playing DT?
Has he gained 50 lbs in the past 2 years?
If so and he's kept his speed, he could be very disruptive.

Yeah, I did a double take when I saw him at DT, too.

Blogger So Dear has now become my first choice to read about Wake Forest sports. I have other choices, which I also read, but Blogger is my first choice.

Nice guys.

Thanks.

Agreed. That site is my first stop. Great job guys.

Glad to see he's playing well, but someone noted he may be a good practice player, but not very good in game situations. We'll see what happens at the scrimmage.

Have Sousa throw it down field on a end-around just once, to open things up. Make our opponents think about it. Have him line up in the backfield for a pitch and a toss. Make our opponents think about it. Anquan Boldin came to F$U as a QB, and now he's a millionaire. This could be something special.

Glad to see he's playing well, but someone noted he may be a good practice player, but not very good in game situations. We'll see what happens at the scrimmage.

Yes. I've yet to see Cameron complete even 50% of his passes in any scrimmage or game. Maybe something's clicked, but I'll have to see it on the field.

Grobe made huge positive advances in practice from Caldwell - iirc.

If Clawson has improved on that, then we made a GREAT hire.

For those of us who didn't attend practices under Grobe, could you go into more detail about these differences?

We're counting on these differences to get the program on track.

They were talking about high school football on the radio today and Wolford's name came up because there is a kid with a shot at breaking the record he set last year.

The one guy said Clawson told him off the air that he's got a great shot to be the #1 guy going into the year.

Not surprising give what we have seen in practice but interesting nonetheless.

Back