• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Practice Reports

As much as people here severely overrated Grobe over the last few years and underestimate what we can do with out him, media are much much worse. Remember the media circle jerk after the State game last year as if ever beating State at home is some program-defining accomplishment.

At least watch a damn game before claiming gloom and doom. Clawson has the best track record of any coach Wellman has hired for football or basketball. He's done everything right over his 8+ months in Winston. Claiming that we're doomed to lose to Utah State or that we have a chance to win 6 games at most is ridiculous. At least wait till tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I guess. This team is objectively, on paper, young and not that good. Clawson or no Clawson this team isn't very good. We could win 5 games and it would be a really big accomplishment for Clawson.

TJDK:

"There’s almost no reason to be optimistic about the Demon Deacons, from the overall lack of talent on the roster to the true freshman quarterback to the oddly difficult nonconference schedule. Maybe that’s actually good news for first-year coach Dave Clawson. If the Deacons can beat anyone beyond Gardner-Webb, he’ll be able to say Wake Forest overachieved. The forecast: 2-10 as the Demon Deacons hit bottom in Year 1."

Luke Thecock

For some odd reason me brain sees Beat The Clock.

Many years ago, can recall the office playing a joke on a co-worker over the intercom...." Mr. Jones, you have a call waiting from a Mr. Jack Meehoff "

anyway....carry on.

Another thing people forget is that while we were absolutely embarrassed in some games, we played three good teams (Duke, Vandy, Miami) down to the wire, and two of those games were on the road, and another two were without Camp.

Our only significant losses are Camp and Nikita (I liked ZT, AJ, but certainly think that the guys who replace them can be as good).

We are not the talent-less college football wasteland a lot of people make us out to be.

Coming into this season, I see a situation similar to 2010 where we were very green and historically bad. Maybe you can acclimate "a" freshman at some place in the lineup, but as many as we're playing? At Wake? I just have to discount my hopes. With Clawson instead of Grobe I think we can do better than 2010, but not that much better. We still have very little [known] talent at skill positions. Six wins would be waaay beyond expectations.

Another thing people forget is that while we were absolutely embarrassed in some games, we played three good teams (Duke, Vandy, Miami) down to the wire, and two of those games were on the road, and another two were without Camp.

Our only significant losses are Camp and Nikita (I liked ZT, AJ, but certainly think that the guys who replace them can be as good).

We are not the talent-less college football wasteland a lot of people make us out to be.

Football games are won/lost in the trenches. Wake's guys on both lines have not been good the last few years. Usually linemen take a few years to mature, so it is hard to get a quick fix there. Recruiting of linemen has not been very good either. The fact that starting another true freshman at center and moving last year's starting center to guard gives the best five on the line is pretty good evidence that some of the guys didn't grow up and get better as hoped for when they were recruited.

We also lost 2 games last year, BC and ULM, because of the stupid option scheme in my opinion.

If Clawson and his staff had coached last year's team, what do think our record would have been? I say 8-4. Put me down for 6 wins this season.

Exactly. We weren't getting much from the sidelines and still weren't that far from making a bowl.

Tomorrow night is huge. Win and create some momentum right off the bat and it could carry us to a decent season.

Clawson has the team ready! I don't expect another egg laid like we saw at BC to open last season.

The players themselves have said that they have bought into the new system.

Not having to suffer through one more game of a Lobo-led offense is reason enough for me to be excited for tomorrow and this season.

Sometimes I forget that burden has been lifted from us all.

Tim Brando picked our game as one of two he liked from a "sports investment" standpoint - ULM to cover the -2.5 line. FWIW.

Tim Brando picked our game as one of two he liked from a "sports investment" standpoint - ULM to cover the -2.5 line. FWIW.
What was the other one? I like ULM -1.5 Penn state +1.5 and Clemson +7.5

As an FYI, Tim Brando is a ULM grad. So, take that selection with a grain of salt. Then again, he should have a pretty good handle on the talent on hand in Monroe.

Back