• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President's Cup

CheesePritchard

Reaction score
Starts Thursday. Foursomes announced tomorrow. Could we see an all Wake pairing?

I can't believe how much TGC is talking about Mickelson and Woods being paired together and how important it is for the sport. Bullshite. You pair guys whose personalities and games fit best together. Along the same line, I'm not so sure Bill and Webb would make the best pairing either. And it's too bad Rory Sabbatini wasn't a captain's pick. If he had been, Freddie could have paired him with Webb on Sunday just for giggles.

I'm kinda rooting for the internationals this week. They need to win 1 of these things to keep (or maybe more appropriate make) the event interesting. Plus, the South Africans and Aussies seem like good guys (well, except for Scott's caddie).

I would find a Bradley-Dufner pairing to be quite entertaining.

I've got a change that would make the President's Cup more competitive: Instead of sending out all 12 players each of the first 2 sessions, and 10 players in sessions 3 and 4, they should switch to only 8 golfers playing per session like the Ryder Cup.

With only 8 golfers playing you can hide your weaker players, which should (in theory) keep the matches tighter since we are much deeper than the international team.

How about Tiger/Kuchar or Tiger/Speith?

Phil/Dufner would be fun to watch.

The Tiger/Phil pairing was one of the worst of all time. I can still remember Mickelson hitting it all over the place and Tiger, instead of supporting him, was looking around like "WTF, I have to play with this clown?" They had no chance.

I just hope neither Webb or Bill gets stuck with Tiger.

The Tiger/Phil pairing was one of the worst of all time. I can still remember Mickelson hitting it all over the place and Tiger, instead of supporting him, was looking around like "WTF, I have to play with this clown?" They had no chance.

I just hope neither Webb or Bill gets stuck with Tiger.

That was also the Ryder Cup where Mickelson switched equipment from Titleist to Callaway about a month before the event.

I still remember Hal Sutton and his stupid ass cowboy hat. By far the worst Ryder Cup captain ever.

Phil/Keegan was too good last year not to pair them for at least 2-3 matches. Keegan/Dufner would be entertaining.

I think a mix and match of a Haas/Kuchar/Simpson/Mahan pod would work well.

IIRC Sutton said they might shoot a 58 or something like that. I liked Sutton as a Ryder Cup player, but as a captain he was simply awful on every level.

IIRC Sutton said they might shoot a 58 or something like that. I liked Sutton as a Ryder Cup player, but as a captain he was simply awful on every level.

He also said he paired them because golf fans "deserved to see it." Maybe that works for the President's Cup, but I think fans would rather see the US win the Ryder Cup.

How 'bout the USA just win! The Ryder Cup is so discouraging, I want to see a win...blow-out.

Kuch and Tiger practiced with each other's golf balls today. Pretty clear sign we'll see them.

I heard on Golf Channel that Speith and Stricker will play together for sure.

Thursday, Oct. 3: Four-balls
Match 1: Hunter Mahan, Brandt Snedeker vs. Jason Day, Graham DeLaet, 11:45 a.m. ET:
Match 2: Bill Haas, Webb Simpson vs. Adam Scott, Hideki Matsuyama
Match 3: Phil Mickelson, Keegan Bradley vs. Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel
Match 4: Steve Stricker, Jordan Spieth vs. Ernie Els, Brendon de Jonge
Match 5: Matt Kuchar, Tiger Woods vs. Angel Cabrera, Marc Leishman
Match 6: Jason Dufner, Zach Johnson vs. Branden Grace, Richard Sterne

They did pair Webb & Bill for Thu best ball. The big name match of the day is Phil & Keegan v. Shrek & Charl.

Scott & Matsuyama have to be the best Intl team on paper. Matsuyama burst on the US scene this summer, playing 6 events and finished in the top 21 in all 6. He was top 10 in the US and British Opens. Granted his stats are limited, but he ranked 1st in Scoring Average and 2nd in final day scoring average on tour. He is their Spieth.

Hopefully Bill and Webb get it done, and Wake gets lots of good pub this weekend.

Those pairings are exactly the way I would have set them up. They look absolutely money.

I can't believe how much TGC is talking about Mickelson and Woods being paired together and how important it is for the sport. Bullshite. You pair guys whose personalities and games fit best together. Along the same line, I'm not so sure Bill and Webb would make the best pairing either. And it's too bad Rory Sabbatini wasn't a captain's pick. If he had been, Freddie could have paired him with Webb on Sunday just for giggles.

I'm kinda rooting for the internationals this week. They need to win 1 of these things to keep (or maybe more appropriate make) the event interesting. Plus, the South Africans and Aussies seem like good guys (well, except for Scott's caddie).

Why does TGC think Tiger/Phil is important for the sport? They suck together and can't stand each other. There are plenty of other interesting, and really good, players in this competition. I'd rather see Tiger playing well and, gasp, smiling than he and Phil pouting and losing.

Have you ever visited the comment section of golfchannel.com? That place is one of the darkest corners of the internet with the Tiger-o-philes but TGC will do anything to stoke that group since they make a boatload off of Tiger.

Back