• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

The only ones that truly believe abortion is murder are the ones that get arrested trying to stop it, the fire bombers of clinics, those are true believers the rest are just meh and used as a political and religious prop.
I’ve made this exact statement on the boards in years past and been absolutely flamed for it. If abortion truly were a genocide then…

That’s just not how human nature works. Genocides happen, people let them happen.

Genocides that happen within the framework of your own society always have opposition to the genocides occurring, you are applying the western world not carrying about say genocide happening in Africa to something that is occurring next door it’s not comparable at all.

The second sentence is about the logical consistency and seriousness of the movement.
No it doesn’t. There’s no point in arguing that anti-abortion believers just want to restrict the personal freedoms of women. It’s a pointless generalization. To my knowledge there has never been complete freedoms for pregnant women, so we should be honest and acknowledge that we are all really just debating how much to regulate pregnancy. That’s the starting point. We all acknowledge that at some point that living fetuses eventually become people and have human rights.

Genocides that happen within the framework of your own society always have opposition to the genocides occurring, you are applying the western world not carrying about say genocide happening in Africa to something that is occurring next door it’s not comparable at all.
Yeah and abortion clinics are occasionally bombed - what’s your point?

That if people truly cared they would be bombed all the fucking time. That the only true believers are those bombers and the rest are the original virtue signalers. Sitting around and voting to end “murder”, writing articles, playing the long game, it’s the equivalent of some pride flags on a Twitter account.

That if people truly cared they would be bombed all the fucking time. That the only true believers are those bombers
You could apply this same demand for extremism to any number of beliefs, including pro-choice activism

Yeah I do demand the extremes with belief because I think for the most part push comes to shove people don’t give a shit about a whole lot in this world with exception of themselves and some immediate family/friends. They just want to live their life comfortably and not be bothered.

Absolutely, but accepting that murder framework for abortion (which I don’t) means legally limiting abortion to instances where pregnancy immediately threatens the life of the mother, right? Abortion isn’t murder, to me, but I understand that many anti-abortion people want to regulate abortion as if it were, and thats reasonable logic to hold if you believe fetus’s are people. That’s why the “if you don’t like abortion then don’t have one” logic doesn’t really work, because none of us would accept that framework for murder.
My point was that even for supposedly hard line moralistic rule (murder is a commandment) we as a society make compromises, exception and justifications. The exceptions for murder aren’t just imminent life threatening self defense, we kill all sorts of people in wars, we execute people for committing other crimes to act as a deterrent, private property defense is allowable sometimes, we pull feeding tubes out of invalids and turn off respirators on patients that could live indefinitely with the medical aid and other exceptions probably. So my point was even if abortion is murder (which I agree it is not especially for early pregnancy that are not capable of independent life) that doesn’t put it in some sort of clear cut moral red line category of illegal things.

Now that they've (mostly) won on abortion rights, it was inevitable that contraceptive rights would be next on their agenda. Gotta punish all those sinful people (women especially) for having sex for pleasure rather than just for procreation. Take away their birth control and that'll put the fear of God back into them! Meanwhile plenty of Religious Right worthies are engaging in all sorts of premarital and extramarital sex, but they're Bible-believing Christians so all will be forgiven, I'm sure.

I know I’m 18 years late, but for some reason I’m just now getting around to reading Freakonomics. The first thing it mentions is the correlation between the drop in crime and the passing of Roe. It just got me thinking of how much a boost in crime always helps Republicans because it gives them their boogie man.

Now that they've (mostly) won on abortion rights, it was inevitable that contraceptive rights would be next on their agenda. Gotta punish all those sinful people (women especially) for having sex for pleasure rather than just for procreation. Take away their birth control and that'll put the fear of God back into them! Meanwhile plenty of Religious Right worthies are engaging in all sorts of premarital and extramarital sex, but they're Bible-believing Christians so all will be forgiven, I'm sure.
Like everything else, though, they haven't really thought this one through. No abortions and no contraceptives means lots more evidence available for extramarital affairs. Unless the next step is to discredit paternity tests.

Back