• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pulse of the Fanbase: Beginning of Year 2 of the Manning Era

How confident are you in Danny Manning going forward (10 being the best, 1 the worst)

Votes: 3 1.4%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 6 2.8%

Votes: 21 9.6%

Votes: 19 8.7%

Votes: 47 21.6%

Votes: 58 26.6%

Votes: 53 24.3%

Votes: 8 3.7%

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still confident in Manning and the basketball program. Hate that we lost Giles to Duke, but encouraged that WF was in the running until the end. When K started at Duke, he lost a ton of recruiting tough battles early in his career, but the fact that Duke was often #2 was a sign that the program was getting close. Then, in 1982, K's 3rd year at Duke, he pulled the Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Bilas class, and Duke has been rolling since (except for the year K tried to blame on Pete Gaudet). Think the same will happen.

The better WF gets (and WF will be better this year); the easier it will be to recruit. WF is coming from a much deeper hole than Duke was ever in before K. Giles would have accelerated the process, but Manning will still climb the mountain. Just not as fast as hoped.

Reputation got K Giles. Without Giles, it is going to take a little while for Manning to build his reputation, but I am still very confident that he will.

Overall 6

Recruiting: 6.5

The 2015 class is legitimately good and hopefully establishes the type of foundation that we were promised for years. 2014 also turned out to be one of the better scrapped-together classes that we've had in recent memory. There are some decent pieces in 2016, as well, but it's a very clear couple of steps down, especially for two years of recruiting. Hopefully, the scholarship situation figures itself out to the point where we can sign some quality prospects in 2017. We're in the conversation with some intriguing players.

Roster: 5.5

Manning is bringing in his own guys and they appear to be better than [Redacted]'s players. The fact that we're coming in with only seven eligible scholarship players is damning, however, especially given the timing of this development. This is not where I was hoping to be in year two. Year one, sure, but not year two. The decision to redshirt Andre could lower this ranking if he ever suits up in OG&B again. The scholarship situation brings this ranking down considerably. There is too much roster dead weight given our relative lack of talent.

We lose Devin/Codi and come in with Woods, Samuel, and to a lesser extent Childress. Giles hurt the class but I don't see a big drop off in overall talent team-wise. There's certainly pressure on 2017 if we want to move from bubble team to a team that can make a tourney run, but I don't see the step backwards others are seeing.

Manning's also shown a knack of finding legit talent outside the normal recruiting process.

I have a hard time holding Giles against Manning. During the years Giles should have been forming a love of Wake basketball and a hatred for Duke and UNC we basically didn't have a program and he'd sit in quiet solitude as we got trounced by 50 at the Joel. That we came as close as we did was almost entirely due to Giles relating to Manning directly which is very positive.

Still optimistic that Danny is the guy. Once the ACC gets rolling and we're running Codi/Crawford/Collins/Crab/Dinos/Devin at teams this year I think we'll be legit good. If not, maybe I'll start losing confidence.

I think it is a pretty encouraging sign that despite losing out on Giles, the majority of fans who post here are cautiously optimistic. Considering we are also some of the most vicious and sarcastic members of the fan base and still have an average score of over 6 on this poll (at the current time), I think that is pretty good.

Need to continue to show improvement, and keep pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail.

I'm optimistic, but I wouldn't agree that what any of our fans think is important. Except for you, Wrangor, I've never seen much of anything on this board worth noting about basketball. FWIW I never believed getting or not getting Harry Giles would define us. The re-building of Deacon basketball is a much bigger job than one 17y/o could ever do. I'm optimistic because Danny and Chill have recruited some players they like regardless of recruiting stars. I trust their judgement more than anything. I believe they are committed. And I think our team will be much better in a couple of years no matter who the players are. Looking forward to seeing some signs of improvement from the entire team this year.

Mulkey Mania > Wake basketball

AR-120629576.jpg&maxw=400&q=90

because we just got confirmation of one of the most disappointing news items to hit the basketball program in years

It ranks in disappointment behind every day that I woke up to the news that [Redacted] was still the coach of our team.

Does anyone think Wake is even close to being a bubble team? NCAA bubble or NIT bubble?

Manning's also shown a knack of finding legit talent outside the normal recruiting process.

I would argue that we have a very, very limited set of data on that one. Remember when Grobe was awesome at finding diamonds in the rough?

Does anyone think Wake is even close to being a bubble team? NCAA bubble or NIT bubble?

So hard to predict but I'd say we are a lower tier NIT team this season. I think we lose a couple early ones with a deflated lineup and it keeps us from making too much noise. I do think we will beat some good teams though.

When the sunshine brigade is only at 4 in coincidence level we are doomed.

I was waiting for someone to pick up on this. On the other hand, maybe my positive outlook has been the jinx holding us back. I need to start taking a more Ayo approach to Wake sports. No expectations, no letdown, hate everything.

Damn [Redacted] really was the worst, huh?

I voted 6. Eye test alone, we looked a lot better than we had in the past 4 years. This year, I'm looking for continued improved as well as development as the season goes along from the Freshmen and Sophomores. Really want to see how much Dinos, McClinton, Mitchell, and Crab have improved from last season. I also want to see how well Devin performs after a full year under Manning's tutelage.

ok guys, skewer me if you want, I'll admit to being the only 10 vote so far.:thumbsup:

It's so frustrating that even if we have a decent season this year, the 2017 season is almost sure to be a struggle since we will have 0 scholarship seniors. The rain will fall on Manning, but the cloud will still be [name redacted].

Back