• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pulse of the Fanbase: Beginning of Year 2 of the Manning Era

How confident are you in Danny Manning going forward (10 being the best, 1 the worst)

Votes: 3 1.4%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 6 2.8%

Votes: 21 9.6%

Votes: 19 8.7%

Votes: 47 21.6%

Votes: 58 26.6%

Votes: 53 24.3%

Votes: 8 3.7%

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After losing out on Giles, I can't tell that we're really positioned to take any major steps forward in the next few seasons.

The ACC has a lot of strong programs. It's a long climb to the top. Too early to evaluate Manning, and while we were more competitive last season than at any point under [Redacted], that's saying very little.

We have fallen way behind, and Manning is very green. Just not finding many reasons to be optimistic right now.

After losing out on Giles, I can't tell that we're really positioned to take any major steps forward in the next few seasons.

The ACC has a lot of strong programs. It's a long climb to the top. Too early to evaluate Manning, and while we were more competitive last season than at any point under [name redacted], that's saying very little.

We have fallen way behind, and Manning is very green. Just not finding many reasons to be optimistic right now.

This. Voted 4.

I'm pretty optimistic. I think Manning fits Wake really well and he's methodically building a winning.....dare I say it.....culture. :couch: He's putting together a team of players that he can coach (and IMO are better than their rankings) and I think will surprise people this year. Sure, he's still a bit green as a game coach and missed on Giles, but he seems to relate to players and other coaches well. He's rallied the bball alumni like no other I've seen. He has a solid base of mentors behind him too that he can draw from. If/when he proves himself on the court with lots of Ws, then he's going to be a force to be reckoned with both as a coach and recruiter.

This. Voted 4.

From outside Forsyth County, people knew we were never in the running for HG. Onlly out of courtesy did he look our way. The truth is that Manning is a historic story at this point, with much to prove, and today came up empty with hardly any Plan B .

There's a long list of the reasons why our basketball program is abysmal. Danny Manning is not near the top of that list. Wellman is a material part of the problem, but he has a lot of help. The fact that WFU has used the phrase "historically competitive" tells you all you need to know. Sure, Wellman uttered those words, but I doubt he thought that unfortunate concept up all by himself, and even if he did, no one that matters disagreed with him.

I want WFU to win, and I will always hope we do. But getting one's emotional weather report from the WFU boxscore, at least in the revenue sports, is an illogical and needlessly frustrating proposition. I did it for decades. Wellman and Buzz helped me stop. Math keeps me on the wagon.

State of the Basketball Program: Beginning of Year 2

5. Until we have a season in which we consistently compete, we won't be near where we were for 20 years. Pathetic, and it's all on Wellman.

Last edited:
Care to share your reasoning?

I'll admit to being overly optimistic, but the fact is we are recruiting basketball p0lqayers that fulfill our needs; guards and wings that can shoot and big men that gives us some presence inside. I think we became too enamored with run and jump athletes rather than basketball players. Of course, after the debacle of name re-redacted we didn't get very much of either. I realize results will take longer than many of us want, but I'm still encouraged. I saw improvement last year and actually our offense showed promise, we just didn't have the talent to produce the desired results. No question we played better on defensive. In summary, the concepts were good but we didn't have the talent to execute(basically one good inside player and too few shooters. Steps have been taken to address this(two promising bigs this year and the British guy next year and some guys that supposedly can shoot, I still believe the UNCC transfer will help. Not swure at this point anyone would do better with the mess that was left. Time will tell.

LOL at this NPS score.

Rank
# of People% of People
121.42%
210.71%
342.84%
41611.35%
51510.64%
1-6
63121.99%48.94%
73222.70%
83424.11%
953.55%9-10
NPS:
1010.71%4.26%-44.68%

It ranks in disappointment behind every day that I woke up to the news that [Redacted] was still the coach of our team.

So much this. I woke up today feeling fine about the future of wake basketball. We lost a battle that we weren't supposed to win. I think we were truly in the fight and the ACL sealed the deal. Sucks but we will be much improved this year and now we just need to sign a good 17 class. Andre is gone after this year, and my guess is that rondale is gone as well.

We are getting better. Just need to keep working.

Just so we are clear. Nobody here would recommend Wake Forest basketball to a friend, right?

31.89%
210.63%
342.52%
10.69%
51710.69%"Detractors"
63522.01%48.43%
73723.27%
83823.90%
963.77%"Promoters"NPS:
1010.63%4.40%-44.03%

Why would 1-5 be detractors but only 9-10 be promoters? I'm only voting 10 if we are in the national title hunt. 9 if we are in the Acc championship hunt. 7-8 is a very positive feeling but not elite. I think I voted 7 (maybe 8) but I feel good about where we are headed based on where we were with [Redacted].

If you set the scale it will tell you whatever you want it to tell. Giving 50% of the scores a negative weight and only 20% a positive weight is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Why would 1-5 be detractors but only 9-10 be promoters? I'm only voting 10 if we are in the national title hunt. 9 if we are in the Acc championship hunt. 7-8 is a very positive feeling but not elite. I think I voted 7 (maybe 8) but I feel good about where we are headed based on where we were with [Redacted].

If you set the scale it will tell you whatever you want it to tell. Giving 50% of the scores a negative weight and only 20% a positive weight is ridiculous.

The scale DV7 is using is for a different question ("How likely are you to recommend [x] to a friend?"). I don't think his take on the poll posted here is valid, but w/e.

Changed the title.

So far, of the 165 votes, 115 are in the 6-8 range (69.7%). 15.8% in the 1-4 range (perhaps skewed by some Moonz parodies).

As I said, I'll run another one at the end of the season. Think it will be interesting to see how/if things change.

Last edited:
We lose Devin/Codi and come in with Woods, Samuel, and to a lesser extent Childress. Giles hurt the class but I don't see a big drop off in overall talent team-wise. There's certainly pressure on 2017 if we want to move from bubble team to a team that can make a tourney run, but I don't see the step backwards others are seeing.

Manning's also shown a knack of finding legit talent outside the normal recruiting process.

I have a hard time holding Giles against Manning. During the years Giles should have been forming a love of Wake basketball and a hatred for Duke and UNC we basically didn't have a program and he'd sit in quiet solitude as we got trounced by 50 at the Joel. That we came as close as we did was almost entirely due to Giles relating to Manning directly which is very positive.

Still optimistic that Danny is the guy. Once the ACC gets rolling and we're running Codi/Crawford/Collins/Crab/Dinos/Devin at teams this year I think we'll be legit good. If not, maybe I'll start losing confidence.

Pretty accurate analysis

I'm optimistic, but I wouldn't agree that what any of our fans think is important. Except for you, Wrangor, I've never seen much of anything on this board worth noting about basketball. FWIW I never believed getting or not getting Harry Giles would define us. The re-building of Deacon basketball is a much bigger job than one 17y/o could ever do. I'm optimistic because Danny and Chill have recruited some players they like regardless of recruiting stars. I trust their judgement more than anything. I believe they are committed. And I think our team will be much better in a couple of years no matter who the players are. Looking forward to seeing some signs of improvement from the entire team this year.

LOL as you babble on for a paragraph about what you think about the program based on nothing but your hopeful feeling. Building a program around players that must far exceed their recruiting rankings is a tough way to rebuild a program in a conference like the ACC. But I'm glad you are optimistic and trust our coaches and believe our players are committed.

I voted 3. There's a difference between being hopeful and confident. I am very hopeful DM turns out to be great and rebuilds our program. But given the state of our program for the past 5+ years (not Manning's fault), and Manning's lack of experience or proven results, and how good the conference is, and how underwhelming this class is when we needed a huge one, no I am not confident.

Last edited:
Back