• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pure GOP hypocrisy

Our lawmakers are fucking children (not literally...probably)

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2012/02/21/democratic-women-seek-a-state-ban-on-vasectomies-for-men/

This afternoon, the House Judiciary (Non-Civil) Committee will take up HB 954, a measure that would prohibit abortions on women who are more than 20 weeks pregnant. Current law prohibits abortions after the second trimester, or about 24 weeks.

The bill sponsored by Doug McKillip, R-Athens, asserts that 20 weeks is the point at which a fetus can begin to feel pain. The measure also attempts to tighten “life of the mother” exceptions to abortion:

No such condition shall be deemed to exist if it is based on a diagnosis or claim of a mental or emotional condition of the pregnant woman or that the pregnant woman will purposefully engage in conduct which she intends to result in her death or in substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function.

In response, House Democrats have scheduled a 3 p.m. Wednesday hearing at the state Capitol, to propose a bill that would ban Georgia males from seeking vasectomies. From the press release:

“Thousands of children are deprived of birth in this state every year because of the lack of state regulation over vasectomies,” said Rep. Yasmin Neal, author of the bill. “It is patently unfair that men can avoid unwanted fatherhood by presuming that their judgment over such matters is more valid than the judgment of the General Assembly, while women’s ability to decide is constantly up for debate throughout the United States.”

House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams added, “The Republican attack on women’s reproductive rights is unconscionable. What is more deplorable is the hypocrisy of HB 954’s author. If we follow his logic, we believe it is the obligation of this General Assembly to assert an equally invasive state interest in the reproductive habits of men and substitute the will of the government over the will of adult men.”

this has nothing to do with anything, but whenever anyone says "Pure (anything)" I always think of this scene from Silence of the Lambs

...You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you … all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars … while you could only dream of getting out … getting anywhere … getting all the way to the FBI.

"State efforts to mandate the HPV vaccine in minors have raised a variety of concerns. The substitution of our judgement for the judgement of parents is exactly the type of government intrusion into healthcare that Americans rejected at the polls last November."
-Virginia Delegate Kathy J. Byron who introduced the bill

In regards to the TSA full body pat downs: "I think that's probably over the line with regard to people's, you know, concerns about privacy and their civil liberties."
-Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell

"State efforts to mandate the HPV vaccine in minors have raised a variety of concerns. The substitution of our judgement for the judgement of parents is exactly the type of government intrusion into healthcare that Americans rejected at the polls last November."
-Virginia Delegate Kathy J. Byron who introduced the bill

In regards to the TSA full body pat downs: "I think that's probably over the line with regard to people's, you know, concerns about privacy and their civil liberties."
-Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell

Ultimately, it comes down to whether you believe the baby/fetus has any civil liberties. If you don't, I can see where you find major hypocrisy in those statements. If you do, then it's much harder to compare those situations with the issue of abortion. Stupid law, none the less, no matter what you believe about the fetus.

The FBI's definition of rape includes any kind of penetration against one's will.

You're reaching rj levels of silly now. You're submitting to the "penetration" when you choose to have an abortion. No one is forced into having an abortion. No one is going to pull you from the street and force a vaginal sonogram on you. Anyone who ends up having one under this law is going to willfully walk into an office to receive one.

I can't believe I'm having to defend a law I don't even agree with due to the absurdity of some of the arguments against it.

What's wrong with the bill in your opinion?

While I don't believe in abortion in general, I also don't believe that there needs to be a law requiring an internal ultrasound if you're going to have one. External, I can get a little more behind since we're dealing with verifying the age of the fetus when the law places limits on how old the fetus can be when you kill it.

Last edited:
While I don't believe in abortion in general, I also don't believe that there needs to be a law requiring an internal ultrasound if you're going to have one. External, I can get a little more behind since we're dealing with verifying the age of the fetus when the law places limits on how old the fetus can be when you kill it.

Thanks. I'm glad they seem to have taken that part out of it.

hypocrisy.gif

Back