• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

I love our coaches and I don’t think they’re trying to screw the fanbase but coaches can be stubborn or stuck on certain guys one way or the other. Looking at their in game performances, there is no way any reasonable person could think Griffis gives us the best chance to win.

Once again, I do think that our staff sticks to their guns and assessments overall longer than most in the fan base would like. That's because they trust the big picture and the process overall. Deciding when to abandon that and "ride the hot hand", or just make a big change can be a tough decision. Overall, I think their steadfastness to their vision and end goal has paid huge dividends to the program as a whole.

So, uhhh, when a lot of us have angrily said that Grififs is the worst QB in college football, it appears that might actually be true... HOW DID WE GET HERE?!
Because Cam tweeted that Sam Hartman was the worst Wake Forest QB in a decade which made the football gods laugh and say “I’ll show you.”

If the defense continues playing like this then he doesn’t even need to be good. Just serviceable and not lose the game for us by himself.
But he's never been serviceable outside of games against FCS schools and Vandy. The turnovers and sacks because he can't see over the line are a near certainty, especially against FSU.

yeah man clawson is just trying to make a point to the fans. he doesn't actually think griffis can help us win, he just has to show us that he is right. I think that's definitely his motivation.

Would you like to offer an alternative theory as to why he would favor starting arguably the worst QB in the ACC over a kid who won our first game in a month? I await your rationale.

Would you like to offer an alternative theory as to why he would favor starting arguably the worst QB in the ACC over a kid who won our first game in a month? I await your rationale.
Because he thinks Griffis give us the best chance to win. It's obvious man, come on.

You can disagree with the staff on that (and I think there's a good argument there to do so based on what we've seen this year), but there's no conspiracy theory here. He wants to win.

Because he thinks Griffis give us the best chance to win. It's obvious man, come on.

You can disagree with the staff on that (and I think there's a good argument there to do so based on what we've seen this year), but there's no conspiracy theory here. He wants to win.

No one said there's a conspiracy. Poor decisions are made from stubbornness daily. I think this is a poor decision borne of stubbornness. We have 5 1/2 games of evidence that Griffis is NOT the answer and I question what data points would lead any rational person to believe he's the answer against FSU.

We'll know more tomorrow. I have a plane to catch. Go Deacs!

When has a coach ever gone, "Yes, I was totally wrong about this player, that's on me." let alone two players at the same position. If Griffis is terrible, then why did the staff anoint him so early? If Santino is better than Griffis, then why did the coach waste time with him at RB and Safety rather than develop his QB skills.

Its not like we brought Griffis in as a grad transfer to bridge the gap to a good young recruit like Pitt and State and to a lesser extent UVA did. Our staff has no one to blame, but themselves, so they arent going to change their entire thought process in the middle of the season. We are literally at the point where we have to limit our playbook because none of the guys in our system can run it right now, its pretty depressing given the offenses we have seen over the last couple years. Same coach, same coordinator, same staff, and have to limit our playbook. The staff was totally unprepared for this season.

No one said there's a conspiracy. Poor decisions are made from stubbornness daily. I think this is a poor decision borne of stubbornness. We have 5 1/2 games of evidence that Griffis is NOT the answer and I question what data points would lead any rational person to believe he's the answer against FSU.

We'll know more tomorrow. I have a plane to catch. Go Deacs!
Correct, Clawson is a good coach but all coaches have blind spots. At some point the decision to start Griffis means you're pointing to SOME obvious rationale for it, as opposed to something only the coaches know in their secret film and practice sessions which we as a fanbase blindly have to trust.

So what is that thing to which he's pointing? Some intangible? Because we can all see how Griffis performs in real games. Starting him tomorrow will likely produce more of the same; we all know this and it will be frustrating if it seems our awareness of the situation is surpassing theirs.

Fanbases do not know collectively more than coaching staffs. But it is obvious across all sports that there can be individual flaws, concerning tendencies, etc. in players & coaches on which attentive fanbases can pick up, which those players and coaches are understandably unwilling to acknowledge very readily. (It's why sports boards and sports radio exist.)

I'm not saying Marucci would definitively lead us to victory. Just that it's at least less predictable what the outcome will be.

If I were FSU I'd sure be hoping Griffis starts.

all we have to go on is one game of watching Marucci, but I don't see it as a comparison of talent- I'm sure they're both talented. The main difference I saw was that Griffis panics when the line breaks down and he makes mistakes. Marucci stands in there and takes command of the situation and seems to know how to make a bad situation better. Hopefully, we'll get to see tomorrow how he does against a top-level team for a real comparison. Griffis has had 5 games and hasn't really emerged as the leader that we need and I liked what I saw from Marucci last week. Go Deacs!

Marucci also had by far the best blocking game from the line of any QB this year, so that makes a massive difference.

I don't want this to go down like I'm defending the staff or think Griffis is the answer - I don't know that there is a QB on this roster currently that can get us to anything above 6-6 this year. I just don't agree that because Marucci "won the game" for us last week that he has to be the starter this week, or is the best option.

Marucci also had by far the best blocking game from the line of any QB this year, so that makes a massive difference.

I don't want this to go down like I'm defending the staff or think Griffis is the answer - I don't know that there is a QB on this roster currently that can get us to anything above 6-6 this year. I just don't agree that because Marucci "won the game" for us last week that he has to be the starter this week, or is the best option.
The OL looked better because the decision making was quicker and Marucci actually rolled out.

all we have to go on is one game of watching Marucci, but I don't see it as a comparison of talent- I'm sure they're both talented. The main difference I saw was that Griffis panics when the line breaks down and he makes mistakes. Marucci stands in there and takes command of the situation and seems to know how to make a bad situation better. Hopefully, we'll get to see tomorrow how he does against a top-level team for a real comparison. Griffis has had 5 games and hasn't really emerged as the leader that we need and I liked what I saw from Marucci last week. Go Deacs!
Griffis may very well be more talented from a skill perspective, but to me it's the same as some stud baseball player who can't lay off the low and away slider. It's great that you can kill a fastball down the middle but if you can't lay off that pitch then you're not going to play. Griffis may have the better arm and accuracy but if he can't speed up his decision making then he shouldn't play.

I wouldn't love it either if I'd been sacked 24 times in 5 games and hurt 2-3 times on those hits. Now some of them came from him holding onto the ball for too long, no doubt.

Back