• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question for Buzziners

We have our wires crossed (my fault for being so cryptic).What I meant is that a lot of other schools weren't on them because they weren't very highly rated thus we could more easily compete despite our historically bad season.

[Redacted] did a great job of identifying high major players that were only being recruited by mid majors, but I don't think he would have been able to pull the same players if they weren't underrated. He didn't overcome the programs limitations at that time as much as he worked around them.

I don't mean to be negative, I just don't think that the class proves the point you were trying to make. They proved a different but equally positive point. This staff is good at spotting under recruited players.

Got ya, yea we were just arguing different things. I'd like to see how this class actually performs once it gets to campus but if it is a really talented class I'm all for recruiting guys that we don't have to go head to head against the big boys for IF we are confident they are good players, stars or no stars.

Now I'll be the first to agree that stars usually = success, as there is a high correlation, especially in basketball. You will have some guys that obviously float under the radar and are great players (think Devin Thomas is a great example of this even though he did have a few BCS offers) but I agree that WF does need to go head to head and win recruiting battles against other top schools. I don't think Bzz was in a position to win those battles in the 2012 class and identified really solid players (and a star or two possibly) that weren't as heavily recruited. I hope this class propels him to be able to win bigger recruiting battles because I do agree you need to go after and get commitments from the best players to be successful in CBB.

You mentioned Gottfried recruiting so well out of the gate and I think that's just who he is, compared to Bzz. Unfortunately for WF, Gottfried is a hell of a recruiter and it's not a surprise he started out of the gate fast (Raleigh/family connections obviously helped a ton). Think WF will be fine in the for the 2013 class though, the 2012 class will really lift up the program in talent and athleticism.

Last edited:
This. Wake does not need to recruit "under the radar" for basketball. That has to be our football strategy, but not basketball. State has been shit for decades, and they bring in a new coach who recruits five star players (not hearts). I want a coach who will be ON THE RADAR recruiting big time players. We just need to find the right coach.

Exactly. Over the last 20 years, Wake is in the tier right behind Duke/UNC in talent in terms of NBA players and their longevity and I think in All-ACC teams as well. We may even be a strong 3rd. We've had some of the best players in ACC history over the last 20 years. Scaling back on the talent we recruit is a huge mistake.

Bold #1: That's not true. No legitimate coaching staff bases their recruiting targets on the rivals and scout ratings. Most of our 2012 class didn't have a lot of schools on them because they didn't play in (m)any national AAU events. CMM went to a small private school that didn't play against any real competition, for example.

If anything, you have the relationship backwards. Guys like CMM originally weren't highly rated because not a lot of schools were on them.

Bold #2: Moto was a national recruit (UCLA, Vandy, Florida, Maryland, etc). His HS coach being an alumnus certainly helped our cause, but still. We landed a national-level recruit with an uncharismatic coach coming off of an 8-24 season. If that doesn't prove the point that Wake will always be able to attract national talent, I don't know what would.

Which is why they weren't rated very highly.* It's a reinforcing loop. Should have been more explicit with what I mean, but I agree with the jist (and see #143 for my thoughts on Moto).

I am not ecstatic with [Redacted]'s recruiting so far, but I am not unhappy either. We need to maintain momentum though.

eta: *which is what you just said, doh! Regardless, it's all interrelated, and Bz did a good job of identifying quality, under-recruited players.

Last edited:
Exactly. Over the last 20 years, Wake is in the tier right behind Duke/UNC in talent in terms of NBA players and their longevity and I think in All-ACC teams as well. We may even be a strong 3rd. We've had some of the best players in ACC history over the last 20 years. Scaling back on the talent we recruit is a huge mistake.

Gotta remember that not all of those WF greats were 4 and 5 star players. Under recruited guys sometimes have an IT factor that the pampered AAU guys of the world don't have. Josh Howard and Timmy D wouldn't have been at WF if Wake recruited like Duke or UNC. Biggest thing is getting those 4 and 5 star guys that fit in well at WF, like a CP3 or Eric Williams and surrounding them with guys that they can make better and that can play off of those stars strengths.

Ph do you really think WF is intentionally not getting talented players? Have to believe they are still trying to get them but that as Wake does in football the staff is looking for a different type of talented player. Wake would have taken Austin Rivers all day if he had wanted to come to Wake. They won't be taking the 5* kid how fails to qualify and re-classifies or a Jameson Curry type kid.

Last edited:
I know BabyDeac supposedly has a lot better info than most of us but there is no way in hell Tony, CJ, Travis, Nikita, and Ty routinely get beaten by by Brooks Godwin, Spencer Jennings, Aaron Ingle, Ryan Keenan, and crew. No way in hell. Travis/CJ would score at will against any of them.
It happens! I know for a fact!

Back