• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question for Buzziners

Was it really that "late in the game"? April of an entire class' junior year seems like you may be able to get someone to come to an ACC school. You would figure there were players that already were very interested in Wake Forest as a school, or players already interested in [Redacted] as a coach (Colorado) at that point. Either reel in the players that the staff had been recruiting or convince the players that he wanted for Colorado to consider Wake as a better fit. Instead he starts from scratch & ends up getting a kid that he could drive 10 minutes to watch play. ??? All the excuses to keep this guy around all seem very weak at this point.

Looking beyond our 7/8 players that get consistent minutes are walk-on caliber players. Jay Bilas said it best (Yes, a Dukie, but a rather intelligent commentator) is that it is hard to get better when you have your starting 5, players like CJ/Mckie going up against the walk-ons everyday in practice. Screw that, not just our star players but players like fischer/green/fields going up against walk-ons they can run circles around. You can blame the lack of depth of talent on Bzz, sure. However, next year when green/fischer/cj/mckie/desroisers are going up against players in practice like cavanaugh/thomas/moto/etc as compared to walk-ons and so forth then that is when you will see improvement from not only year-to-year, but game-to-game...That is when I will start "Judging" Bzz.
If anyone disagrees that competition does not breed success then you dont know basketball, let alone sports. Being that the players that actually step foot on the court this year go up against players that are the caliber of the posters that post on this board, it is hard to progress. Next year when they are going against players that are scholarhship players that will also be getting minutes on the courst, we will see a difference.

Unfortunately this excuse doesnt hold water. The scout team regularly plays dead even with and often beats the black and the gold teams in practice. This has been going on for the last year. Competition in practice is not the problem. (And dont ask why he doesnt play the scout team more in games because they wouldnt beat our opponents either.) The problem is that the starters arent as good as our opponents. We just arent very good right now.

Negative. The majority of personnel are on Dino. In game coaching (or lack thereof) and progression are on Buzz.

you can't polish a turd

the buzz era begins next season

we have been stuck in two years of Gaudino's unwiped poop chute

I agree with that...I think Buzz has proven he can find talent and is especially good at identifying talent under the radar.

Based on one class that is months away from setting foot on campus? :confused: :wtf:

you can't polish a turd

the buzz era begins next season

we have been stuck in two years of Gaudino's unwiped poop chute

Dino was head coach for 32 months, after taking over in August for a head coach and friend who had just died. He won more games in his 3 years than Prosser did in his last 3 years and sadly as many NCAA Tournament games (1 each).

Dino won more games in his 3 years than Bzzz has won in the last 5 years.
Fucking nuts to say the buzz era begins next season after the quick hook Dino got.

Hope Wellman will be consistent and realize that [Redacted] is in over his head as well.

I'm really looking forward to the excuse brigade coming up with new stuff for next year already. Should be fun.

Hold on Buzzinners still exist? I thought they became extinct after the Clemson massacre

Parodies, particularly Moon parodies, don't die...they're just reincarnated as new parodies.

I agree with that...I think Buzz has proven he can find talent and is especially good at identifying talent under the radar. However, it's also obvious that he is just not a head coach material. I think he makes a great assistant coach, which is where he spent most of his time in the NBA (scout and asst) and how he came so highly referenced was because of his scouting abilities. However, being a good scout and a good HC are completely different things and it is apparent that he is just not HC material. In an ideal world he steps down and we get a new HC but he stays as asst. coach to scout talent. This would never happen as his and Wellman's ego is way too big, but a guy can hope.

Please tell us in what way he's "proven" that????

I think Bzz is getting way too much credit in recruiting the 2012 class. To a point, Wake Forest basketball recruits itself with our recent history of Chris Paul, Josh Howard, Tim Duncan. As shitty as we have been in the last two years, a Wake Forest scholarship is still a big deal in basketball. Extending that idea, we still have 2 long tenured assistant coaches who have recruited multiple 4 and 5 star players under 3 different head coaches. Bzz wasn't a good recruiter before he got here, and his new WF stationary and sweet new Prius didn't change that. I'm absolutely certain we will get top 20 classes under whatever coach we get when Bzz is fired.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the excuse brigade coming up with new stuff for next year already. Should be fun.

Been saying since the beginning of this year (when most were saying we'd be lucky to get 10 wins) that my expectations are 15 wins this year (that was made with JTT in the fold and I held after he DUIed and left) and bubble next year.

I was disappointed in 8 wins last year and expected about 10; gonna be disappointed this year unless we knock off 3 or 4 wins down the stretch; bubble next year which means 20ish wins depending on our schedule.

The flipside of the excuse brigade is that just about every single buzzouter was sure we'd be worse than last year, but yet now bitch and moan now that we've hit a wall (a wall I again, predicted based on our talent vs. ACC competition). If your expectation was 11 wins tops, and we are sitting at 11 wins now, I think using Bzd as your frustration punching bag is short-sighted

I think Bzz is getting way too much credit in recruiting the 2012 class. To a point, Wake Forest basketball recruits itself. Extending that, We still have 2 long tenured assistant coached who have recruited multiple 4 and 5 star players under 3 different coaches now. Bzz wasn't a good recruiter before he got here, and his new WF stationary and sweet new Prius didn't change that.

It won't help when opposing coaches email this article to kids he's trying to recruit in the future:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bottom10120215/bottom-10-coaching-edition

The flipside of the excuse brigade is that just about every single buzzouter was sure we'd be worse than last year

Say what? :confused:

I don't really remember this. Would appreciate a link back to a prediction thread.

Last edited:
I think Bzz is getting way too much credit in recruiting the 2012 class. To a point, Wake Forest basketball recruits itself with our recent history of Chris Paul, Josh Howard, Tim Duncan. As shitty as we have been in the last two years, a Wake Forest scholarship is still a big deal in basketball. Extending that idea, we still have 2 long tenured assistant coaches who have recruited multiple 4 and 5 star players under 3 different head coaches. Bzz wasn't a good recruiter before he got here, and his new WF stationary and sweet new Prius didn't change that. I'm absolutely certain we will get top 20 classes under whatever coach we get when Bzz is fired.

This. Wake does not need to recruit "under the radar" for basketball. That has to be our football strategy, but not basketball. State has been shit for decades, and they bring in a new coach who recruits five star players (not hearts). I want a coach who will be ON THE RADAR recruiting big time players. We just need to find the right coach.

This. Wake does not need to recruit "under the radar" for basketball. That has to be our football strategy, but not basketball. State has been shit for decades, and they bring in a new coach who recruits five star players (not hearts). I want a coach who will be ON THE RADAR recruiting big time players. We just need to find the right coach.

Yeah, under the radar is poor term. We're not a mid major.

Wake does have to be smart about who they recruit given the atmosphere on campus and the academic rigor. Plus we are limited as far as facilities and school size goes. At the same time we have a great history of putting quality players into the NBA and should be in the hunt for good players.

[Redacted] should get credit for landing the kind of class we expect to land. At this point, no more and no less. If they exceed their expectations he builds credit. If they fall short, it's his ass.

As it should be.

"Sure we have averaged 14 conference losses over Buzz's 3 years, but 2 extra conference games were added to the schedule this year. 4-14 is improvement!!!!! That's as much as we won in the 1st 2 years combined."

"He just turned 60 in December. That's when most coaches enter their prime!"

Back