• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question for Buzziners

It's possible to play well, but just be overmatched. How many of our losses fall into this category? I can think of 3. Seton Hall, @ NC State, and Dayton. That's it. And I can also think of an equal number of wins where we played like shit against a team that was simply overmatched or just playing even worse (Georgia Southern, Texas Tech, and Virginia Tech). Same story last year.

50 games in I would expect to see a structured offense and players being in the right place on defense even if they don't have the quickness or strength to actually stop the opponent. We aren't consistently seeing either one of those. Compare how [Redacted] is building Wake Forest to how Bennett built Virginia. Night and day.

It's possible to play well, but just be overmatched. How many of our losses fall into this category? I can think of 3. Seton Hall, @ NC State, and Dayton. That's it. And I can also think of an equal number of wins where we played like shit against a team that was simply overmatched or just playing even worse (Georgia Southern, Texas Tech, and Virginia Tech). Same story last year.

50 games in I would expect to see a structured offense and players being in the right place on defense even if they don't have the quickness or strength to actually stop the opponent. We aren't consistently seeing either one of those. Compare how [Redacted] is building Wake Forest to how Bennett built Virginia. Night and day.

Great post, +1000000000000000

Gay-guy-macho-mustache-smiley-emoticon-000803-large.gif

Flattering, but ahh. Racerdeac: touche, well played, etc... gaybone: not feeling the pawnage, though have to admit I had no idea my handle was one letter away from that until just now.

You had no idea that your name was just one letter away from being "gay"? Really?

You aren't very perceptive.

Some good points, but I certainly wouldn't use Virginia and Bennett as my barometer. Virginia has two 4-star players on their roster after three have defected from Bennett. One of those is the player of the year who was damn lucky to get a 5th year IMO since he played nearly 10 games last year. Pull Mike Scott off that team and ... who knows.

They do have 3 4-star kids coming in next year though.

I want to see UVa next year with young talent and experienced okay to good players before I get excited about what Bennett is doing at UVa.

Some good points, but I certainly wouldn't use Virginia and Bennett as my barometer. Virginia has two 4-star players on their roster after three have defected from Bennett. One of those is the player of the year who was damn lucky to get a 5th year IMO since he played nearly 10 games last year. Pull Mike Scott off that team and ... who knows.

I want to see UVa next year with young talent and experienced okay to good players before I get excited about what Bennett is doing at UVa.

Yeah I wouldn't use Bennett as a barometer for Bzzz either, Bennett actually had good success prior to coming to UVa and has shown he can actually make his players better.

I am not even talking about this year, I am talking about his first two years.

Can we stop with the Ron should resign/step down comments. When your job title is "Athletic Director" and your salary is near $700,000, you don't quit. Ever.

We have two 4* players on our team. Not to mention a 7ft senior, who was once mistakenly labeled a 5* player. CJ and Tony were both the 25th ranked players at their positions as well.

You had no idea that your name was just one letter away from being "gay"? Really?

You aren't very perceptive.

No, I knew that, dillweed. I didn't connect jay and bone to gay and bone. But I am not that letter-play perceptive as I just figured out Sunday that Muppets was a play on puppets. For real.

Every time I read in one post or another that this pathetic excuse for a coach is going to be around next year no matter what I want to cry. It's so damn depressing to not have any hope, not a glimmer, that our team will be appreciably better at any time in the future or that I'll ever look forward to watching a game again. He can't even make it through a press conference without me and every other fan wanting to fucking strangle him. Can we at least hope for a coach who doesn't say something stupid or insulting every time he opens his mouth? Would that be setting the bar too high?

According to the Kenpom ratings, 6 of the 8 IVY LEAGUE teams are better than us. They don't even give scholarships in sports. They probably have much better talent than we do, though. That must be it.

Sorry that there's nothing new or interesting in this post, I just needed to vent.

What a damn joke.

I am not even talking about this year, I am talking about his first two years.

Okay. Bennett's team his first year had two very good players in Scott and Landesberg and they lost their last 9 games of the regular season in a row. And then Landesberg left, starting a trend of 4-star players leaving the program (Johnson, Spurlock, etc...).

Maybe he needed to get his own guys, but some of the 4stars that have left quickly have been his recruits. I kind of like Bennett, but I certainly don't pine for him.

For Bzd to follow in his footsteps, then Travis would need to leave after the season, we bring in the new recruits, and one of them leaves like 5 games into the season and another another 15 games later.

He is a great game coach, but again, I want to see him in year 4, post Mike Scott, with all his guys.

Okay. Bennett's team his first year had two very good players in Scott and Landesberg and they lost their last 9 games of the regular season in a row. And then Landesberg left, starting a trend of 4-star players leaving the program (Johnson, Spurlock, etc...).

Maybe he needed to get his own guys, but some of the 4stars that have left quickly have been his recruits. I kind of like Bennett, but I certainly don't pine for him.

For Bzd to follow in his footsteps, then Travis would need to leave after the season, we bring in the new recruits, and one of them leaves like 5 games into the season and another another 15 games later.

He is a great game coach, but again, I want to see him in year 4, post Mike Scott, with all his guys.

You're missing my entire point it seems.

I'm not talking about the wins and losses or even the margins, I am talking about how well they played despite their limitations regarding experience, talent, and learning a new system.

Back