• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question for Buzziners

I will stop with gay jokes since it seems like a lot of you take issue with it. Maybe I'm just getting fucking old and what I think is funny is 1990 funny, but not 2012 funny. Or maybe it never was funny and I'm an idiot ... I still think the guy ... nevermind.

It seemed to be the consensus that after the Kentucky game, Dino was safe to get a season with his "Super Five", so there is always hope things are happening behind the scenes that no one here is aware of.

I am very angry at Bz, like many of us, but one thing that gives me pause is how much I am affected by his lack of PR skill. Imagine if Skip produced the same results that Bz is producing, with the same players. How much more benefit of the doubt would we give him, just because he's so likeable and says the right things? Bz comes off as a jerk, and always says the wrong things, which makes us feel angry and hopeless. But in the end, how he answers questions at a press conference is not a strong indicator of what he would do with more talent. I don't even buy that it's a reflection of his ability to motivate players. Many great coaches suck at addressing the media.

I am very discouraged by the blowout losses, downtrodden players, lack of improvement of some players (though some have really improved). But it's hard for me to separate those more objective criteria from how pissed I get every time I hear him talk. Every time I hear him talk I want to fire him immediately, punch him, and punch Wellman for hiring him. But those are not rational responses. I guess I'm saying I don't feel like I have the ability to be rational about Bz or Wake bball right now, with the combination of horrible results and fury-inducing press conferences.

However you want to parse words. People have a negative opinion of him based on things he's done and the status of the program. People are negative about losing. People don't like him. It's not because they're negative people.

Debatable.

Knowing what we know, Bzd is our coach thru at least next year, so in my book, anybody who starts the thrice+ daily posts calling for Bzd's head are negative people.

Again, we are in a way better place on 2-15-2012 than we were 2-15-2011. Much of that is due the signed class, I readily admit, but this date last year we were looking at an incoming class of Chase, Green, and Fields with Ari obviously on his way out and at least some issues with JTT. This year, there seems to be very little dissension on the team and a very good to great class coming in that fills a lot of needs.

Will be curious to see how we finish out this year as compared to last year.

I will stop with gay jokes since it seems like a lot of you take issue with it. Maybe I'm just getting fucking old and what I think is funny is 1990 funny, but not 2012 funny. Or maybe it never was funny and I'm an idiot ... I still think the guy ... nevermind.

If the guy had "sounded" black, or Indian, or any way other than "gay", would you have bothered to comment about it? Facepalm

Debatable.

Knowing what we know, Bzd is our coach thru at least next year, so in my book, anybody who starts the thrice+ daily posts calling for Bzd's head are negative people.

Again, we are in a way better place on 2-15-2012 than we were 2-15-2011. Much of that is due the signed class, I readily admit, but this date last year we were looking at an incoming class of Chase, Green, and Fields with Ari obviously on his way out and at least some issues with JTT. This year, there seems to be very little dissension on the team and a very good to great class coming in that fills a lot of needs.

Will be curious to see how we finish out this year as compared to last year.

+1

I'm riding the Bone train all the way to Buzz In glory, 2013-2104!!

FWIW, I recently spoke w/ someone in the AD who said there is a 0 percent chance Jeffey is fired any time soon, or after this season. This person also said they would be incredibly surprised if he's fired after next season barring a complete debacle of similar proportions to the past two years. This made me quite sad.

This can't be true. I have repeated anonymous neg rep that says he is on the chopping block at this very second. And nothing is more dependable than anonymous neg rep information quoting board members while spewing homophobic vitriol. Well, not counting anonymous GA Tech board posts about our walkons or anonymous Dan Collins blog discussion posts threatening a recruit is considering backing out or hearsay posts about Dino banging out fingercuff-friendly coeds.

Look, as a Bzz-fencer, the bottom line is there are serious, unavoidable limitations for a team that starts Nikita, Ty, and Tony. Forget the ACC, that's a problem in any college basketball conference, particularly when you consider the total lack of depth behind them. [Redacted] so far has taken those limitations and showcased them in horrid fashion for two of the worst years in Wake history, but that lack of development is on every coach on the staff. Next year, while you can argue the true quality of the class, it's for damn sure a talent fiesta compared to what we have now. It may be young and inconsistent, but the highs better be of the "well fuck, this is what good players can do in this system" variety, and not of the scratching for 4 or 5 ACC wins variety.

If that doesn't happen and he gets fired, great. If he gets fired this year and Wellman has a replacement lined up that's an improvement, great. If he gets 2 more years no matter what happens next year then I'd be very upset.

If the guy had "sounded" black, or Indian, or any way other than "gay", would you have bothered to comment about it? Facepalm

honestly? No. That said, my wife is Afro-Indian so I do sometimes make wry comments on both, Indians in particular. I mean, it would be kind of funny to hear a thick Indian accent at a basketball press conference in Winston-Salem. That's my son to the left.

honestly? No. That said, my wife is Afro-Indian so I do sometimes make wry comments on both, Indians in particular. I mean, it would be kind of funny to hear a thick Indian accent at a basketball press conference in Winston-Salem. That's my son to the left.

Or maybe it never was funny and you're an idiot ... I still think the baby to the left is... nevermind.

By the time, Mike Patrick is touting Bz for CoY honors and saying Bz brought us back from the dead just like he did Col. I will be long gone. Wellman holds the cards in this battle and I would be shocked if Hatch etc.. stand up to him.

Or maybe it is Hatch pulling the strings. This demand for culture change was post Hatch.

Which is why I asked the question I did.

Or maybe it is Hatch pulling the strings. This demand for culture change was post Hatch.

Well if that is true then my comment when I first heard Bz was hired was "I'm concerned that we will look like Duke but play like Davidson." comes to mind.

I am very angry at Bz, like many of us, but one thing that gives me pause is how much I am affected by his lack of PR skill. Imagine if Skip produced the same results that Bz is producing, with the same players. How much more benefit of the doubt would we give him, just because he's so likeable and says the right things? Bz comes off as a jerk, and always says the wrong things, which makes us feel angry and hopeless. But in the end, how he answers questions at a press conference is not a strong indicator of what he would do with more talent. I don't even buy that it's a reflection of his ability to motivate players. Many great coaches suck at addressing the media.

I am very discouraged by the blowout losses, downtrodden players, lack of improvement of some players (though some have really improved). But it's hard for me to separate those more objective criteria from how pissed I get every time I hear him talk. Every time I hear him talk I want to fire him immediately, punch him, and punch Wellman for hiring him. But those are not rational responses. I guess I'm saying I don't feel like I have the ability to be rational about Bz or Wake bball right now, with the combination of horrible results and fury-inducing press conferences.

You have a right to be pissed when you hear him talk. He is a freaking middle management Xerox salesmen, He is Bill Lumberg from office space. The reason why you are made is you know darn well he cant motivate the players, the fans, or create excitement for the program.

Being a head coach in the ACC is so much more than XOs. You have to be the face of the program. Bzz excites nobody. He cant do the job. Why wait three years more to admit what everyone already knows.

NC State knew by year two sydney lowe was going to make it but they just let their AD do his thing and continue to wreck their program.

Wellman totally screwed this up, he should step down and fall on the sword and take Bzz with him.

Anyone who thinks Bzz has a chance of getting out of this crap pile is kidding themselves. I dont take any pleasure in busting on the guy but he is not the coach for Wake Forest and when Wellman is too stubborn to admit his mistake then he is displaying his lack of leadership as well.

If Wellman wont fire him then he needs to go too.

I'm still on the fence but more out of principle than anything.

I feel like there is a line that is eventually crossed when a coach is fully responsible for the entirety of the basketball program. Make no mistake, we are quickly approaching that line. However, Bz was not left with much, talent or size-wise, he was also dealt some pretty devastating blows in terms of defections, etc. We have never had any semblance of a post game since he got here, and that is not entirely his fault. I mean, look at these guys compared to their competition. I really dont think it takes horrible coaching beyond all comprehension or a lack of charisma to see your team get out muscled by the likes of Stetson. It takes a total and complete lack of strength and girth and physicality among your personnel. Give me an Eric Williams, and I will convince you that I know how to coach kids to rebound.

That being said, ulitmately he will be responsbile for not addressing those issues. I have not seen much to give me optimism and soon enough he will be fully responsible. I'm just not quite there yet. And yes, I am probably more on the patient end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Looking beyond our 7/8 players that get consistent minutes are walk-on caliber players. Jay Bilas said it best (Yes, a Dukie, but a rather intelligent commentator) is that it is hard to get better when you have your starting 5, players like CJ/Mckie going up against the walk-ons everyday in practice. Screw that, not just our star players but players like fischer/green/fields going up against walk-ons they can run circles around. You can blame the lack of depth of talent on Bzz, sure. However, next year when green/fischer/cj/mckie/desroisers are going up against players in practice like cavanaugh/thomas/moto/etc as compared to walk-ons and so forth then that is when you will see improvement from not only year-to-year, but game-to-game...That is when I will start "Judging" Bzz.
If anyone disagrees that competition does not breed success then you dont know basketball, let alone sports. Being that the players that actually step foot on the court this year go up against players that are the caliber of the posters that post on this board, it is hard to progress. Next year when they are going against players that are scholarhship players that will also be getting minutes on the courst, we will see a difference.

i find it interesting that many here will say the team has very little talent. bzz says just the opposite. says they are talented but are young and allowing outside influences beyond their control to derail their season. not sure what i make of that.

The argument that he needs his own players is questionable since the only player to ever play meaningful minutes for another Wake coach is CJ. Otherwise Bz is all these guys know. Also, some saying we need to be fair to Bz forgets about all the Wake stakeholders who should have had a say in the hiring decision but didn't. Even us lowly fans of over 35 years had a right to expect someone was looking out for our interests but who was it- not Ron. He was busy inflicting his values on everyone else. That is not his role. He is not a pope, he is the AD for goodness stake.

Back