• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rachel Dolezal

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
‘Are you an African American?’ Why an NAACP official isn’t saying

A controversy is raging over whether a prominent Washington state civil rights activist and Howard University graduate who claimed she was African American is actually white.

Rachel Dolezal, 37, is the president of the Spokane NAACP and has claimed to be the victim of a number of hate crimes. As questions were raised about the veracity of some of her reports this week, a white couple from Montana came forward to claim that Dolezal is their daughter.

Earlier this week, KXLY4 asked Dolezal about a photo posted to the NAACP chapter’s Facebook page of a black man identified as Dolezal’s father.

Saneff weeps.

lolzz

imrs.php

Very, very strange. It's ridiculous that she lied. Doesn't really detract (or shouldn't at least) from the work she's done, but yeah being a total fraud is pretty problematic.

I hear she is a big proponent of breaking up Wall Street but is probably not going to run for President.

Very, very strange. It's ridiculous that she lied. Doesn't really detract (or shouldn't at least) from the work she's done, but yeah being a total fraud is pretty problematic.

There is 0% chance she would be the President of the Spokane NAACP Chapter as a white woman.

When I was at Wake there was a white guy who pledged Alpha Phi Alpha, but I don't think anyone thought he was black.

So is this some long term "Black Like Me" thing, or...

#AskRachel is pretty great.

so she's trans, then

Her name and the term "transracial" were top trending hashtags on Twitter.

Some users floated the notion that people could cross over lines of racial identity as they do with sexual identity.

"Hmm interesting article about #racheldolezal. If she identifies as black, can she be transracial?" one user asked. Other users compared Dolezal with Caitlyn Jenner, former known as Bruce Jenner, often in a derogatory manner.

But many users, particularly African-Americans, bemoaned that switching race doesn't work like switching gender, noting that black people can't pretend to be white to avoid discrimination.

"My prob w/ #Transracial: Black folk cant decide to be white when the cops raid their pool party. But a white woman can be NAACP president," wrote hip-hop artist Lizzo.

"If #RachelDolezal can do it, so can I. I am now a white American. Give me: good credit, the ability to swim, and police NOT beating me," PrestonMitchum tweeted.

"It's not just her appropriation. It's that she claimed an oppression that wasn't hers," wrote user Charles Clymer.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/washington-spokane-naacp-rachel-dolezal-identity/index.html

How could she possibly think she could pull this off if both her White parents were still alive?!? Zero upside and 100% downside.

There is 0% chance she would be the President of the Spokane NAACP Chapter as a white woman.

Not necessarily true. A really good friend of mine (white) is very high up in the North Carolina NAACP.

1908489_1559933930920295_6145482297736245009_n.jpg

This is how the conversation went:

"Is that your dad?"

"Yeah, that's...that's my dad."

"This man right here's your father? Right there?"

"You have a question about that?"

"Yes ma'am, I was wondering if your dad really is an African-American man."

"That's a very -- I mean, I don't know what you're implying."

"Are you African-American?"

"I don't understand the question of -- I did tell you that, yes, that's my dad. And he was unable to come in January."

"Are your parents...are they white?"

Dolezal walked away from the microphone, leaving her purse and keys, and took refuge in a nearby clothing boutique.

Apparently she submitted an art portfolio full of African-American portraiture and was given a full scholarship to Howard University.

Very strange.

Hypothesis: there's no such thing as "pretending" to be a certain race. race is a social construct, so perception is reality.

Yeah it probably aided her getting where she did, I just meant that it shouldn't take away from things she has accomplished in that position (if there's a good list of things - who knows). I'm fine with blasting her for lying though.

Back