• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rachel Dolezal

Hypothesis: there's no such thing as "pretending" to be a certain race. race is a social construct, so perception is reality.

Do you agree with the students who stopped presenting the Vagina Monologues because it excluded "women" without vaginas? I mean, it's a social construct.

Vaginas aren't a social construct.

Dunno the whole story, but her parents didn't do her any favors. Reportedly she's completely estranged from her family. Can't see how exposing your daughter as a disturbed pathological liar helps hasten family reconciliation.

When your daughter tells everyone that you are not her father, and that some random black guy is her father, the shark has pretty much been jumped. Don't see how familial relations are going to come back from that one. I think the parents just got tired of their daughter living a lie, and decided to call her on it. People tire falsehood, and will for reasons that are of no advantage to themselves, call it out when faced with a mountain of BS just for the sake of speaking the truth. Seems to be what happened here.

Malibu's most wanted tagger please out yourself. That one made me chuckle.

Again don't know all the issues and think the daughter is unhinged, but don't think the parents are saints either. Can understand why they'd be hurt that their daughter rejected them, but that wasn't a public matter until they deliberately made sure it became one. Their daughter's chosen profession is in academia and as a civil rights activist. She's a part-time instructor at a low level university and an advocate in a town with a tiny Black population. Just seems unnecessarily punitive to jeopardize their child's already meager professional prospects no matter what their personal feelings are. The opposite of hate is indifference.

11412292_10153298971400837_7837415265528773285_n.jpg

Again don't know all the issues and think the daughter is unhinged, but don't think the parents are saints either. Can understand why they'd be hurt that their daughter rejected them, but that wasn't a public matter until they deliberately made sure it became one. Their daughter's chosen profession is in academia and as a civil rights activist. She's a part-time instructor at a low level university and an advocate in a town with a tiny Black population. Just seems unnecessarily punitive to jeopardize their child's already meager professional prospects no matter what their personal feelings are. The opposite of hate is indifference.

If I had to guess I would bet that the parents had no idea this story would blow up the way it has.

Well then I have nothing...they are as screwed up as she is.

So the parents,should have protected her lies because as liberals seem to universally agree the means justify the end? Also if you lie on your résumé to get a job but when they find out and you have already accomplished some good things then it shouldn't matter? . Any amateur reporter could have uncovered the truth so I don't blame the parents for saying hey she's white and we are her parents. This all falls on her. Pretty bizarre.

Did you guys read the part where she is claiming her adopted brother as her child? Pretty fucked up. I would be pissed to if I was the parents.

Oh yeah, I'd be pissed. Not sure if out my kid on a media blast, but whatever.

More importantly, I think I'd like to go transnational. what passport out there would be the best to have?

The opposite of hate is indifference? Is t that the opposite of love? That doesn't make any sense.

Parents probably got tired of their daughters act and decided to call her on it. Maybe they feel it is in her best long term interests to come to grips with reality. Who knows, but them merely telling the truth and claiming their daughter as their own is not all that crazy.

I see nothing wrong with what the parents did here, other than they waited too long to do it.

The opposite of hate is indifference? Is t that the opposite of love? That doesn't make any sense.

Parents probably got tired of their daughters act and decided to call her on it. Maybe they feel it is in her best long term interests to come to grips with reality. Who knows, but them merely telling the truth and claiming their daughter as their own is not all that crazy.

May not be crazy, but it certainly isn't kind or compassionate either. Appears the woman is mentally unstable and needs help. Quietly and privately getting someone help they need seems to be a better way to go than publicly aand deliberately airing family dysfunction. Can totally understand why the parents are hurt and upset, but just don't think either side has handled it well.

Back