• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Re-watchable TV shows

The West Wing is very rewatchable.

I keep finding myself watching the Nanny and Friends at night. Believe it or not, I think the Nanny is more rewatchable than Friends, but I'm not sure why.

Entourage is barely watchable, much less re-watchable.

I think shows like Arrested Development are rewatchable because you can pick up so many new jokes with repeated viewings, and even catch the little Easter eggs in the set design.

The longer running and heavily syndicated comedies from MASH to Cheers to Seinfeld and Friends are rewatchable perhaps because of how perfectly formulaic they are. The structure rarely changes and your attachment to characters only grows.

I think Seinfeld is clearly number 1, and Boy Meets World was an outstanding nostalgic suggestion. I loved Entourage the first time through, and I recently watched some seasons for the second time, but you really have to watch them in season order I believe. In other shows you can sort of just pick an episode to watch, so those are better suited for syndication.

It seems like if you like the show, for the most part you find it to be re-watchable. I think a better question is what shows are there that you enjoyed the first time around that are not re-watchable. I can think of Lost. I'm not sure what else.

My List in order:

1) Andy Griffith
2)M*A*S*H
3)Sienfeld
4)Cheers

All these Comedy/Dramas are great because they can all be seen individually, with little references to previous episodes (some exceptions).

If I was a kid, and honestly I have watched these recently:

1)Brady Bunch
2)Gilligans Island

All the above are like "Shawshank" when flipping T.V., if I come across it playing on the T.V., it at least gets me hooked til the next commercial, usually to the end.

I've seen Band of Brothers four times! Love that series. The Wire twice. The West Wing twice. Currently viewing The Sopranos for the second time with The Shield up next for a re-watch.

I've watched West Wing going on 6-7 times. Shield is re-watchable, 24 as well.

I'm surprised a few people have mentioned Friends. I enjoyed that show when it was on the air (and at least the early seasons). Watching an episode now just makes it seem so dated and humorless. Contrast that with Seinfeld, which is dated as well, but still damn funny. I was laughing my ass off at the Junior Mints episode the other day.

LOST and Band of Brothers

It seems like if you like the show, for the most part you find it to be re-watchable. I think a better question is what shows are there that you enjoyed the first time around that are not re-watchable. I can think of Lost. I'm not sure what else.

This is a pretty good question, and I don't know that I have an answer for you right now. It would probably be mostly hour-long dramas. I haven't seen Lost yet, but from what I know that makes a lot of sense. American Horror Story isn't nearly as compelling without the suspense of what comes next. Desperate Housewives isn't particularly re-watchable. Maybe Weeds, too.

With a lot of shows (Workaholics, Criminal Minds) I only select the good episodes (e.g. Topher episode) to re-watch.

Back