• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

For all you parents, the new Disney movie “Turning Red” is a very straightforward metaphorical tale about a girl entering puberty. Like it’s almost too on the nose.

Last edited:
The title was a pretty big hint. Is it so on the nose that I should warn my wife that our 9 year old boy may have some questions after we watch it?

Last edited:
The title was a pretty big hint. Is it so on the nose that I should warn my wife that our 9 year old boy may have some questions after we watch it?

Maybe, there is a mention of pads and cramps early in the movie.L, otherwise the metaphors require familiarity with female puberty, or just puberty in general.

My 9 year old started watching the movie without us. He stopped about an hour in. I asked him if he liked he said, "There's a lot of inappropriate references, but I didn't understand them."

If you want to watch something that sucks, watch Inventing Anna.

I guess I have a cool wife because she likes peacemaker and is cracking up while watching it

Am I the only person that has given "Bel-air" a chance? I'm lukewarm on it, you just have to get used to it. The issues that it and Fresh Prince hit on are as prevalent as ever (arguably timeless) and I've at least partially acclimated to the massive shift in tone. I keep thinking that if it would have been a drama first and then a sitcom, you would think the comedy was really weird. The shift from sitcom to drama is still plenty strange, but I think it could work.

Last edited:
Haven’t started watching it but that’s how I feel. A lot of Black led sitcoms in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s used humor to tackle dramatic issues.

Also, when Rerun got caught with a tape recorder strapped to his belt at the Doobie Brothers concert on What's Happening !!

There's also that episode of The Jeffersons where George goes to a Klan meeting and saves the Grand Wizard's life.

I watched Turning Red a few days ago. Absolutely wonderful film. I haven't thought about my Pixar rankings in a while but I think it's top tier or at least second tier Pixar.

I watched Turning Red a few days ago. Absolutely wonderful film. I haven't thought about my Pixar rankings in a while but I think it's top tier or at least second tier Pixar.

I loved it, too. I especially liked how it trusted the audience to “get” a kind of specific time and place. Really cool flick.

I saw some reviews critique why it had to take place in a specific time and place. I felt like it was a good decision to make it a period film.

But seriously, if the film wasn't in 2002 Toronto then it would have had to be set in some vague modern time. Now obvious Pixar does that well. We don't know or care when most Pixar movies are set because they don't really matter to the toys or bugs or fish. And the people Pixar movies don't really need a time period. Brave seems to be set in a fantasy world. Coco may be grounded in a time but I don't remember because it's more about generations than time. Time didn't matter much in Soul or Up either.

But Turning Red needed to be grounded in a time because the film made a pretty clear point (and the behind the scenes doc picked it up as well), that girls' burgeoning sexuality is very much rooted in crushing on popular culture or counter-culture figures like boy bands or anime characters. "Popular culture" may be too diffuse nowadays compared to 20 years ago in which a popular boy band would be a grounding force for girls' affections. Obviously, K-Pop bands serve that function now, but I think they were aiming for a time when boy bands were more central.

I saw some reviews critique why it had to take place in a specific time and place. I felt like it was a good decision to make it a period film.

But seriously, if the film wasn't in 2002 Toronto then it would have had to be set in some vague modern time. Now obvious Pixar does that well. We don't know or care when most Pixar movies are set because they don't really matter to the toys or bugs or fish. And the people Pixar movies don't really need a time period. Brave seems to be set in a fantasy world. Coco may be grounded in a time but I don't remember because it's more about generations than time. Time didn't matter much in Soul or Up either.

But Turning Red needed to be grounded in a time because the film made a pretty clear point (and the behind the scenes doc picked it up as well), that girls' burgeoning sexuality is very much rooted in crushing on popular culture or counter-culture figures like boy bands or anime characters. "Popular culture" may be too diffuse nowadays compared to 20 years ago in which a popular boy band would be a grounding force for girls' affections. Obviously, K-Pop bands serve that function now, but I think they were aiming for a time when boy bands were more central.

also you can factor-out smart phones and social media aspect of pre teen life

Back