• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Netflix says it is finally adding offline playback
Details are minimal right now, but this is good news for all Netflix users.
An enigmatic tweet from the Netflix account says that "your favorite stories are now available for download any time." It's accompanied by a cute video with scenes from a bunch of Netflix original shows, but it seems as if the feature won't be limited to only the company's original content. Regardless of any catches, the message is clear: Netflix will finally let us save shows to watch when we don't have an internet connection.

In a press release that just dropped, Netflix says that the feature will arrive later today in an app update for iOS and Android. The feature is pretty straightforward -- when a show or movie is available to save offline, you'll see a little "download" button. Netflix notes that many of its big shows, including Orange is The New Black, Narcos and The Crown, are available to download today. Notably, those are all Netflix original shows -- we're not sure if things from other studios will be made available just yet. And it most definitely seems like the entire catalog will not be made available all at once -- but this is still a pretty big deal considering Netflix consistently rejected this feature in the past.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/30/netflix-adding-offline-playback-mode/

An enigmatic tweet from the Netflix account says that "your favorite stories are now available for download any time." It's accompanied by a cute video with scenes from a bunch of Netflix original shows, but it seems as if the feature won't be limited to only the company's original content. Regardless of any catches, the message is clear: Netflix will finally let us save shows to watch when we don't have an internet connection.

In a press release that just dropped, Netflix says that the feature will arrive later today in an app update for iOS and Android. The feature is pretty straightforward -- when a show or movie is available to save offline, you'll see a little "download" button. Netflix notes that many of its big shows, including Orange is The New Black, Narcos and The Crown, are available to download today. Notably, those are all Netflix original shows -- we're not sure if things from other studios will be made available just yet. And it most definitely seems like the entire catalog will not be made available all at once -- but this is still a pretty big deal considering Netflix consistently rejected this feature in the past.

What are your favorite shows, bsf4l?

What are your favorite shows, bsf4l?

SCTV and The Prisoner...those are the only shows I genuinely love. I also loved Monty Python as a kid but it is not nearly as funny to me anymore. Now I mainly just watch sports if I watch anything. Ash vs Evil Dead is the only recent show I've watched. It's fun.

prime has allowed downloading for awhile. there are some caveats. you have 30 days to start watching something offline. once you start you have access for 48 hours (i think). if either of those (48hrs/30 days) lapse you need to log back into your account on the device. not really an issue since most people won't be far enough away from a connection (wifi, hotel, home) long enough for it to matter.

i would assume netflix will employ something similar so people are not downloading and "owning" it offline.

prime has allowed downloading for awhile. there are some caveats. you have 30 days to start watching something offline. once you start you have access for 48 hours (i think). if either of those (48hrs/30 days) lapse you need to log back into your account on the device. not really an issue since most people won't be far enough away from a connection (wifi, hotel, home) long enough for it to matter.

i would assume netflix will employ something similar so people are not downloading and "owning" it offline.

I know that's what Prime says, but in reality I've been able to download a movie onto my Kindle and take many days between starting and the next viewing, much more than 48 hours. I don't know what's up with that, if I had a beneficial glitch, but I've found that true for a few movies actually.

I know that's what Prime says, but in reality I've been able to download a movie onto my Kindle and take many days between starting and the next viewing, much more than 48 hours. I don't know what's up with that, if I had a beneficial glitch, but I've found that true for a few movies actually.

Yeah. It only applies if you have no internet access for 48 hours. We had to find Wifi to reconnect tablets so my kids would have shows to watch in the car after staying with the in-laws last week.

Used this yesterday on flights home and found it to be pretty smooth. Took about 5 mins to download a 1-hour show on airport's wifi. Playback was great.

The selection of movies/shows is still limited, but I'm sure that will change.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say tab doesn't like this show

You are correct. It isn't BAD, but in a world where ATLANTA exists it just looks like amateur hour. And I know its not fair to compare two shows just bc they are black dramedies but too bad, it's inescapable.

ETA: Also it's not divorce bad. That show needs to be cancelled ASAP.

The new programming chief at HBO is really turned that place into turd city. After Thrones finishes he is gonna be in the bread line with BSF.

Before the rise of all the other available platforms that can produce "prestige" television HBO had that market cornered so it could afford to be picky because everyone was pitching them. Now they have to take more chances on programs that often turn about to be shit when I'm sure ten years ago they never would have touched some of the things they are putting on now.

Insecure fell off the wagon after episode 4, got really soapy. Rae is a pretty good actor, jury out on writing.

I think more than them greenlighting shitty stuff it's the competition from Netflix/Amazon/AMC etc. to pick up good scripts, specifically hour long dramas.

Vinyl was created by Terrance Winter with help from Martin Scorsese, that was getting picked up by any and everyone at anytime and was the biggest flop in HBO history. I don't know if Westworld is a success or not but it has similar backing.

This niche half hour dramedies aren't really important to the brand. Either they're well reviewed and not that popular or largely shitty and popular. Insecure is critically acclaimed. Entourage was largely a piece of shit and Ballers is a shittier version of that piece of shit.

High Maintenence was good though.

I think more than them greenlighting shitty stuff it's the competition from Netflix/Amazon/AMC etc. to pick up good scripts, specifically hour long dramas.

Vinyl was created by Terrance Winter with help from Martin Scorsese, that was getting picked up by any and everyone at anytime and was the biggest flop in HBO history. I don't know if Westworld is a success or not but it has similar backing.

This niche half hour dramedies aren't really important to the brand. Either they're well reviewed and not that popular or largely shitty and popular. Insecure is critically acclaimed. Entourage was largely a piece of shit and Ballers is a shittier version of that piece of shit.

High Maintenence was good though.

Member John From Cincinnati? Idk, I never watched Vinyl, but when I scroll through the list of HBO shows, some make me cringe, while there are others that I have never even heard of. Or maybe you're just referring to money lost with Vinyl, which I could definitely see.

Yeah I was talking about money. The first season cost $100 million not even including advertising/marketing.

I'm a sucker for British crime dramas on netflix and Spotless is my latest one that I'm really digging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct. It isn't BAD, but in a world where ATLANTA exists it just looks like amateur hour. And I know its not fair to compare two shows just bc they are black dramedies but too bad, it's inescapable.

ETA: Also it's not divorce bad. That show needs to be cancelled ASAP.

The new programming chief at HBO is really turned that place into turd city. After Thrones finishes he is gonna be in the bread line with BSF.

Atlanta was low key The Night Of disappointing the last 4 eps

Finished season one of spotless and it was intense! Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back