• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Finally dived into Mozart in the Jungle and it's super charming and fun, I think, and great music. Saffron Burrows can't fake-play cello to save her life but one will always get that with these types of affairs.

And as a straight man, even I can admit it is easy to watch Gael Garcia Bernal chew up scenery for a half hour.

Finally dived into Mozart in the Jungle and it's super charming and fun, I think, and great music. Saffron Burrows can't fake-play cello to save her life but one will always get that with these types of affairs.

And as a straight man, even I can admit it is easy to watch Gael Garcia Bernal chew up scenery for a half hour.
I really like it, not ashamed to admit it

Season 3 is so so but you do get to see Monica Bellucci boobies

Yeah, Season 3 is scattered and the documentary episode was kinda lame, but GGB is great.

i am sure everyone has watched zach galifianakis live at the purple onion?? one of the funniest standups i have ever seen.

i loved stranger things. i just started the crown yesterday. i have watched so many, most have probably been mentioned in the pages before this but i will try to read back through. is hulu discussion allowed here??

Yeah, dude, we're talking Amazon Prime stuff here, you're fine. I think it's just the general "streaming" thread.

Mozart ITJ also did well to get Alex Ross (New Yorker music critic) on as an advisor so they don't say anything fucking stupid. The technical music talk has been solid without trying to be too cute and smart. And the incidental music has been a good mix of obvious top 40 classical hits and some lesser known things -- dug the Smetana "My Life" quartet at the end of one of the early episodes.

i am sure everyone has watched zach galifianakis live at the purple onion?? one of the funniest standups i have ever seen.

His standup is performance art. The first time I saw that special I nearly pissed myself. If you look on YouTube he has a legendary performance at the Cats Cradle from like 15 years ago.

Last edited:
started sneaky pete on the amazon. bryan cranston and giovanni ribissi. 3 episodes in kinda meh so far.

The Wife and I started The Crown last night. 2 eps in and impressive so far. Not that it's really a spoiler, but the time from when the King dies and they're trying to find the new Queen to tell her up until the end of that episode is pretty gripping and beautifully shot.

Appreciate the recs for Rectify. That show is gut wrenching. Midway the s3 now.

Watched Beasts of no Nation yesterday. I just...I don't... the acting from the kids in that movie was incredible. Just devastating.

is that the idris elba one? yeah that is good and depressing.

The recs on here for Detectorists inspired me to at least see what it was about. When I saw it starred Mackenzie Crook, who is in my entertainment Hall of Fame even if only for the 13 times he gave the world Gareth Keenan (14 depending on if you split the XMas special in 2), then I was super excited to check it out. Though I'm less familiar with Toby Jones, I knew of his stage rep in London theater, so he added to the appeal too.

I actually was disappointed at first. For no reason whatsoever, I thought the show would be basically "Gareth hits his 40s" and when he wasn't playing something so wacky, I was let down. It only took the second episode though for me to adapt to the reality of the show and begin to appreciate what it really was.

Now I'm really become a Crook fanboy, he was the driving force here as the writer and director. He gave us a series with warmth, subtlety, relatability and more.

Interesting trivia - the actress playing his wife was actually the daughter of the actress playing the wife's character's mother - Diana Rigg. Name doesn't ring a bell? She's only Emma Peel from the (British) Avengers and a Bond girl. You youngsters may be more familiar with her as Lady Olenna on GoT.

So bottom line - I loved it and can't wait for the Christmas special and I really hope there's a 3rd season.

Has anyone given "Colony" a shot? I've only watched 1 episode and it didn't compel me to watch more, even if the premise sounds up my alley - an alien invasion where they've fully taken over and story seems to be more about some vichy vs rebels sort of thing. I'm thinking of dropping it but curious if anyone wants to make a case for it.

Last edited:
The recs on here for Detectorists inspired me to at least see what it was about. When I saw it starred Mackenzie Crook, who is in my entertainment Hall of Fame even if only for the 13 times he gave the world Gareth Keenan (14 depending on if you split the XMas special in 2), then I was super excited to check it out. Though I'm less familiar with Toby Jones, I knew of his stage rep in London theater, so he added to the appeal too.

I actually was disappointed at first. For no reason whatsoever, I thought the show would be basically "Gareth hits his 40s" and when he wasn't playing something so wacky, I was let down. It only took the second episode though for me to adapt to the reality of the show and begin to appreciate what it really was.

Now I'm really become a Crook fanboy, he was the driving force here as the writer and director. He gave us a series with warmth, subtlety, relatability and more.

Interesting trivia - the actress playing his wife was actually the daughter of the actress playing the wife's character's mother - Diana Rigg. Name doesn't ring a bell? She's only Emma Peel from the (British) Avengers and a Bond girl. You youngsters may be more familiar with her as Lady Olenna on GoT.

So bottom line - I loved it and can't wait for the Christmas special and I really hope there's a 3rd season.

Finished season 2 last night. There is something so honest and joyful about the show that I loved. Hard to describe but I found it funny, touching, quirky and just lovely.

A very different sort of show and I can't quite describe why. TAB would probably hate it but I can't give it a bigger endorsement.

Back